Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The OnePlus 2 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've had a One for 6 months or so but won't be in a rush to upgrade - I will wait to see if they iron out bugs and OS issues which are the only thing preventing the One from being the best phone on the market in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Got my one early on never had any major problems other than the odd reboot. Will probably get the new one and keep this one in case it turns out to be super buggy!

Would love to see a bit of water proofing but can't see that happening. A bit better on the battery life would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Ill be watching this closely if the next Nexus isnt for me ill prob give the OnePlus 2 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I need an upgrade and I am patiently waiting for the OnePlus Two.

The new Nexus 5 sounds promising but not scheduled until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'll be keeping a close eye on this. The 810 qualcomm chip still has me worried about heavy throttling due to overheating.
    Should know how it behaves before the trickle of invites turns into a flood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I'll be keeping a close eye on this. The 810 qualcomm chip still has me worried about heavy throttling due to overheating.
    Should know how it behaves before the trickle of invites turns into a flood.

Arent these the "Version 2" chips? Supposedly dont have the heating issue, suppose only time will tell.

projectgtr wrote: »
    Arent these the "Version 2" chips? Supposedly dont have the heating issue, suppose only time will tell.

I don't think it's conclusive yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I thought I would start a thread for the OnePlus 2 for people to post about the OP2 instead of using the OnePlus One thread.

OnePlus Official Site (Buy here)
    OnePlus Blog
    OnePlus on Twitter

Official announcements so far

CHuIMfBWcAAv0KU.png
    "OnePlus 2 will come loaded with the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 810 v2.1 processor, engineered for OnePlus and our next generation flagship phone. Just like we did with the OnePlus One, our engineers debated endlessly over which CPU would be the perfect fit for the 2. While we played around with other options, we always came back to the 810. Its speed and ability to multitask while maintaining optimal battery performance remain unmatched amongst others in the industry.Features that the 810 supports include streaming 4K Ultra HD video, amazingly crisp and fast photos with one quick snap, immersive 3D gaming brought to you by the first-in-class Adreno 430 GPU, high-quality video streaming that uses less bandwidth, and exceptional battery life."

CIrt38iWsAAONwb.png"
    "With the OnePlus 2, the fingerprint sensor is done right. It’s refined and lightning quick, unlocking your device faster than TouchID"

CIKcTfsWcAAAspn.png
    "The OnePlus 2 will be the first global flagship smartphone sporting this breakthrough technology. Its cable channels the same beautiful design of the OnePlus One’s that our users love, but this time with the added convenience and comfort of a reversible plug. Great products make life easier, and reducing a bit of worry everyday when our users plug in their devices is a significant improvement in user experience that we’re proud of."

CJPVYPeWEAA5Eh_.png

CI_WFtZWgAEpm5O.png
    It will be properly announced in the world's first product launch in VR, July 27, 7:00pm PT (July 28th,3am GMT)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

this day 3 weeks its going to be announced but when do ye guys reckon it will be available to order?
    Do ye think people who got invites for the opeplus one will be given one for this?

yabadabado wrote: »
    this day 3 weeks its going to be announced but when do ye guys reckon it will be available to order?
    Do ye think people who got invites for the opeplus one will be given one for this?

Dunno about when it'd be available to be ordered, the release date is Q3 anyway.

On twitter, I recall someone saying early adapters should get the OP2 invites first and Carl Pei (co-founder) agreed.

• Advertisement

Dunno about when it'd be available to be ordered, the release date is Q3 anyway.

On twitter, I recall someone saying early adapters should get the OP2 invites first and Carl Pei (co-founder) agreed.
    good stuff,I suppose there will be plenty of more info released in the next few weeks.
    I have mine around 13-14 months now.

good stuff,I suppose there will be plenty of more info released in the next few weeks.
    I have mine around 13-14 months now.

How did you get it so early?

How did you get it so early?
    got an invite from a boards member,luck really,he got one but couldn't use it so passed it onto me.
    I think I got it in June so about 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

got an invite from a boards member,luck really,he got one but couldn't use it so passed it onto me.
    I think I got it in June so about 13 months.

Are you thinking of getting the OPO 2? I'm pretty happy with the OPO, but I'm sure I could be tempted. I'll wait to see how it shapes up. A sub €400 price-tag with a few killer features might sway me.

Simi wrote: »
    Are you thinking of getting the OPO 2? I'm pretty happy with the OPO, but I'm sure I could be tempted. I'll wait to see how it shapes up. A sub €400 price-tag with a few killer features might sway me.

Will wait to see specs etc but am tempted alright.If I could get a decent price for my One I most likely will trade up.

Is there anywhere to sign up now for invites ,checked the site but couldnt find anything?

Are you talking about hardware or software?

The fingerprint scanner is a great addition so far anyway.
    Will wait to see specs etc but am tempted alright.If I could get a decent price for my One I most likely will trade up.

Is there anywhere to sign up now for invites ,checked the site but couldnt find anything?

I presume they'll just send them to you via your OnePlus account. iff you log in you'll see 'Invites' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 indexapk

good job man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Are you talking about hardware or software?
    Hardware mostly, OIS for the camera would be a good start. Adding support for the missing LTE bands etc. Basically everything they missed the first time round. I really hope it looks something like this http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1416390/oneplus-two-open-pre-ordering-chinese-e-retailer.jpg

Software wise a theme engine for the stock os would be nice. Does oxygen os have a theme engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Is the Snapdragon 810 not a bit of a turnoff? I can't think of a manufacturer who didn't avoid overheating without significant cpu down-throttling. If I had an OPO, I'd definitely wait it out for an OP3 perhaps with a Snapd 820 or some such in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm predicting €499 for the cost of the new one!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    CEO has said it will be under $450 so hope we get something similar here.$450 is around €410 at current rates hopefully we aren't charged much extra.

indexapk wrote: »
    good job man

Thanks, it's an honour to start a thread that you felt was finally worth posting in after 19 months on the forum :D
    Hardware mostly, OIS for the camera would be a good start. Adding support for the missing LTE bands etc. Basically everything they missed the first time round. I really hope it looks something like this http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1416390/oneplus-two-open-pre-ordering-chinese-e-retailer.jpg

Software wise a theme engine for the stock os would be nice. Does oxygen os have a theme engine?

Ahh, ok. True.

Saw a pic from the OnePlus office where someone taking a pic was using a phone with metallic sides.

A fair chunk of hardware was released already, theres another announcement on Tuesday the 7th. Hopefully it'll be about the camera.

Im on CM11, so not sure about OxygenOS.
    corwill wrote: »
    Is the Snapdragon 810 not a bit of a turnoff? I can't think of a manufacturer who didn't avoid overheating without significant cpu down-throttling. If I had an OPO, I'd definitely wait it out for an OP3 perhaps with a Snapd 820 or some such in 2016.
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    Every phone that has the 810 has had overheating problems. The new Xperia Z3+ is a prime example. I wish they had gone for the 808 like the G3.
    Was looking at this phone but might just wait for the z5 with its rumoured 820.

It's an updated version. I'd have confidence it's as they say.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-cpu-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-v2-1.316786/
    Just like we did with the OnePlus One, our engineers debated endlessly over which CPU would be the perfect fit for the 2. While we played around with other options, we always came back to the 810. Its speed and ability to multitask while maintaining optimal battery performance remain unmatched amongst others in the industry.
    Although there have been reports that the 810 runs warmer than its predecessors, we assure you that we have taken all the necessary precautions and beyond to prevent this from occurring in the 2. We worked very closely with Qualcomm’s engineers to integrate an improved version of the chipset (v2.1) in the OnePlus 2, and fine-tuned both hardware and software. The 2 will be “cooler than ever”.

Really? Did you see the below image? It was posted in the first post, and was taken from their verified Twitter.
    CJPVYPeWEAA5Eh_.png

It's an updated version. I'd have confidence it's as they say.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-cpu-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-v2-1.316786/

Pfft, they're just going to down throttle it, just like everyone else -
    http://m.gsmarena.com/oneplus_2_will_have_underclocked_cpu_and_cost_at_least_349-news-12709.php

"Version 2.1", me hole!

Qualcomm rushed their current generation of silicon to market using off the peg cores and soiled the cot doing so, all so they could catch up with Apple's move to 64bit. Even the 615 is having overheating problems.

Here's hoping they don't make a similar dog-egg out of the 820.

Pfft, they're just going to down throttle it, just like everyone else -
    http://m.gsmarena.com/oneplus_2_will_have_underclocked_cpu_and_cost_at_least_349-news-12709.php

"Version 2.1", me hole!

Qualcomm rushed their current generation of silicon to market using off the peg cores and soiled the cot doing so, all so they could catch up with Apple's move to 64bit. Even the 615 is having overheating problems.

Here's hoping they don't make a similar dog-egg out of the 820.

Fair enough. Didn't see that article before.

Fair enough. Didn't see that article before.

I'd love to be wrong, because I'd had my heart set on treating myself to a proper flagship this year, and it's just been a string of disappointments. HTC One M9, LG G4, Xperia Z3+, all duffers. Bah, humbug!

Ya, things are not looking good for v2.1 snapdragon.
    I could maybe use the OnePlus 2 as my winter phone and keep the OPO for warm weather living!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's just a prediction, I really wish it sub €400 myself, so I could justify the upgrade :D

I think it'll be $449 (sub 450).
    Conversion and sales tax 10 - 15% could mean the base price will be €479
    20 quid for shipping then to bring it to €499

Still though, I'm excited for the reveal :)

This is a very recent review of the Sony Xperia Z3+ that has terrible thermal throttling. Cant be certain if this 810 chip is v2.1 though.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-z3-plus-review?pg=3#content

What's the point of going octa core if you can never use all cores?

• Advertisement

I'd love to be wrong, because I'd had my heart set on treating myself to a proper flagship this year, and it's just been a string of disappointments. HTC One M9, LG G4, Xperia Z3+, all duffers. Bah, humbug!

Samsung S6?
    Ya, things are not looking good for v2.1 snapdragon.
    I could maybe use the OnePlus 2 as my winter phone and keep the OPO for warm weather living!

:pac: I would hope they wouldn't use the 810 v2.1 if it wasn't up to the job. If they only launch one phone a year and it has major problems like that, I don't think they would be around too long. They're rumoured to be releasing more than one phone though.
    It's just a prediction, I really wish it sub €400 myself, so I could justify the upgrade :D

I think it'll be $449 (sub 450).
    Conversion and sales tax 10 - 15% could mean the base price will be €479
    20 quid for shipping then to bring it to €499

Still though, I'm excited for the reveal :)

If it was 480, it would still be cheaper than all the other flagships. Looking forward to July 28th as well.

Advertisement