Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,791 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Complete noob to this but what can an Android box give me that a phone with m**dro and a chromecast can't?

Can't really talk about that here but you can use Kodi add ons.

If you do a Google search you'll see for yourself.

If you have a laptop download Kodi on that and play around with it for a while before you buy any box. No point wasting money if you don't like/can't use Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

emmetkenny wrote: »

If you have a laptop download Kodi on that and play around with it for a while before you buy any box. No point wasting money if you don't like/can't use Kodi

i've got kodi on my phone also and it works perfectly (no reason why it wouldn't obviously).

i've got kodi on my phone also and it works perfectly (no reason why it wouldn't obviously).

It is much much harder to navigate and configure on a small touch screen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone the updated dns settings for a certain iptv add-on. Don't wanna sound like a stalker........

Pm would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Seems that some things are taboo in this site and I can only guess that these are discussions of anything illegal or that supports illegal downloading/streaming. I don't think this question falls into that category as I do not intend to download or stream anything illegally.

I am looking for what I believe is an Android based device which will allow me to watch HD movies which I legally rent or buy from the Google Play store. Now I know I can easily get a Chromecast or HDMI adapter and connect my phone to my Amplifier/TV, but I'm a bit of a purist and since these methods do not support proper 24p playback (they are locked to 60hz output), they will not meet my needs.

So the spec of what I need must support full HD 1080p with 24p playback. It must also support 5.1 audio. There are certainly plenty of devices that support 1080p, but none that I can find that mention 24p. Has anyone come across anything that does?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Are you talking about Netflix?

Amazon Fire TV can be forced into 24p mode.
    and
    This thread is up to date

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Seems that some things are taboo in this site and I can only guess that these are discussions of anything illegal or that supports illegal downloading/streaming. I don't think this question falls into that category as I do not intend to download or stream anything illegally.

I am looking for what I believe is an Android based device which will allow me to watch HD movies which I legally rent or buy from the Google Play store. Now I know I can easily get a Chromecast or HDMI adapter and connect my phone to my Amplifier/TV, but I'm a bit of a purist and since these methods do not support proper 24p playback (they are locked to 60hz output), they will not meet my needs.

So the spec of what I need must support full HD 1080p with 24p playback. It must also support 5.1 audio. There are certainly plenty of devices that support 1080p, but none that I can find that mention 24p. Has anyone come across anything that does?

Thanks

as it currently stands streaming is not illegal, hosting is.

Kodi and all its add ons which we are not allowed to talk about are perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

emmetkenny wrote: »

I've had a look around but I'm probably missing something - as it is with what I'm using I have free movies, channels, TV shows. What extra will installing Kodi get me?

Allyall wrote: »
    Are you talking about Netflix?

Amazon Fire TV can be forced into 24p mode.
    and
    This thread is up to date

Not necessarily Netflix, but yes that too.

I'm specifically talking about renting a new release from Google Movies and watching that.

For instance, I just did a test with a laptop. I rented Everest and it will play at 24p provided I set the refresh rate on my laptop to 24Hz. That means that Google rented movies can be streamed in 24p. But whatever player I use, THAT must also support 24p for my needs. Chromecast does not, my phone does not, my laptop obviously DOES.

My question is: Anyone know of any Android media devices which also support 24p playback?

Cheers

I've had a look around but I'm probably missing something - as it is with what I'm using I have free movies, channels, TV shows. What extra will installing Kodi get me?

Kodi gives you a lot more options than Sh****x or Mo**o.

I find it much much more stable as well. You can also add those two apps to an Android box.

• Advertisement

3rdDegree wrote: »
    My question is: Anyone know of any Android media devices which also support 24p playback?

Cheers

I believe the wetek core does.

I'm not sure if the Nvidia Shield does.

Not Android but have you had a look at for example, the Intel NUC's or the Gigabyte Brix's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Allyall wrote: »
    I believe the wetek core does.

I'm not sure if the Nvidia Shield does.

Not Android but have you had a look at for example, the Intel NUC's or the Gigabyte Brix's?

I have a Wetek Core and can confirm it does 24P. There is a refresh rate switcher app which forces the 24P display for whatever apps you choose.
    Box hasn't been the smoothest for Netflix to be honest (plenty of 24P material there), I've a couple fixes to do and hopefully this will sort it out.

The box is only part of it though, you obviously need a compatible TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

5500 wrote:
    Which variant MXQ is it for? I've one here with the button ontop/red stripe in the corner, I think its beelink made, I've ran openelec on it but it just doesn't seem to play ball well so flashed back to android and its fine although full of bloat so wouldn't mind trying something a little scaled back on it

Allyall wrote:
    You can dual boot

Allyall wrote:
    - That version works perfect for me.

Allyall wrote:
    You can dual boot

Does it work on mxq box without red stripe (OTTO) one ? how do i dual boot openelec on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Done the update and the 'fix' was not needed after all. Box working perfect now and 24P going grand on Netflix and Google Play Movies (only tested Shaun the Sheep movie on this).

tharmor wrote: »
    Does it work on mxq box without red stripe (OTTO) one ? how do i dual boot openelec on it ?

Which one? Eny MXQ?

OpenELEC SD Card latest Firmware HERE

Win32DiskImager

- There has been load of issues with compatible DVB-T\T2 tuners and TVHeadend for that box, I don't know if it's fixed in the latest version of OpenELEC.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Done the update and the 'fix' was not needed after all. Box working perfect now and 24P going grand on Netflix and Google Play Movies (only tested Shaun the Sheep movie on this).

Thank you Keith. Very kind of you to report that back.

I rented a HD copy of Everest from the Play Store to check out the quality. I played it on a PC with output to a 92" projector screen. Apart from a sound issue (it was in stereo and not 5.1 when played back via my laptop), I thought the picture quality was shamefully bad! Even compared to Sky Movies HD (compared same movie), the quality of the Google movie was not up to par st all. ITunes version of Everest looked a good bit better to me.

Very disappointing. I'll have to look elsewhere for a legal way to get good quality new releases.

But that said, thanks to those here for your (as usual) excellent replies and help.

Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Allyall wrote:
    Which one?

Its an OTT MXQ box....similar to what you posted...worth trying or it might brick the box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

hey, finally giving up on the chromecast, it's just too unreliable for my Dad who just wants to watch Golf. right now, we're back to using a laptop with HDMI which works great but obviously a lot of messing, i've to do it for him when i call over.

i need an android box with a programmable remote so he just presses number 4 on the remote and an app pops up and loads a stream. i'm an android coder myself and have personal paid stream accounts with their respective android apps so just need a box with programmable remote so i can set it all up for him.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

I don't think something like that exits, or wouldn't be reliable. Streams and their sources are constantly changing so the "channel" you would be watching will change as well.

I think the handiest would be to save whatever his favourite channels/streams are to "My Favourites" so that when he opens up Kodi, all he would have to do is click on the star in the bottom left corner and they would all open up. However, you would still have the problem I outlined above so would have to regularly update this list to remove dead links and add the new ones.

hey, finally giving up on the chromecast, it's just too unreliable for my Dad who just wants to watch Golf. right now, we're back to using a laptop with HDMI which works great but obviously a lot of messing, i've to do it for him when i call over.

i need an android box with a programmable remote so he just presses number 4 on the remote and an app pops up and loads a stream. i'm an android coder myself and have personal paid stream accounts with their respective android apps so just need a box with programmable remote so i can set it all up for him.

any ideas?

the only way you are going to get anywhere close to that is going through a subscription service, and even then you'll still have to "launch program", "launch add on", click on channel (or get a mini pc hooked up to the TV, and set up a shortcut to a subscription site, and all he has to do is choose the channel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm already a paid member of starstreams, hd-streaming and offsidestreams and have reliable, working APKs for the first two. i can code custom APKs if i have to, have worked on the starstreams one. i don't want to go through kodi. so basically question is can i somehow get these boxes to load a certain app when you click number 4

i'm already a paid member of starstreams, hd-streaming and offsidestreams and have reliable, working APKs for the first two. i can code custom APKs if i have to, have worked on the starstreams one. i don't want to go through kodi. so basically question is can i somehow get these boxes to load a certain app when you click number 4

for some reason those mentioned have done away with apks and just want you to go through the browser. mo***o has an apk but quality wise, it's great for a phone but not a bigger screen.

i still think a mini pc is a great option. install kodi (not sure why you wouldn't want to go through kodi though) and have it boot in straight to kodi, change the skin to only have one option on the main page and that is one of the aformentioned sites which opens straight into the channel listing.

i make that 2 clicks and a scroll! :D

or yes, mini pc. set up a function key to launch those websites directly. no kodi, no fuss

tharmor wrote: »
    Its an OTT MXQ box....similar to what you posted...worth trying or it might brick the box ?

It should work. Unlikely to brick it..

There is a lot of keymapping projects on android.com (Source.android.com), also on stackoverflow.
    I don't know if you've tried, but You could also use openelec or Kodi Launcher and map keys to renegades, FTV etc.
    Or use STB emulator or similar in Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

for some reason those mentioned have done away with apks and just want you to go through the browser. mo***o has an apk but quality wise, it's great for a phone but not a bigger screen.

Starstreams still has an apk linked directly on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i'm already a paid member of starstreams, hd-streaming and offsidestreams and have reliable...
    SteM wrote: »
    Starstreams still has an apk linked directly on their site.

down with that sort of thing!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Can I get a bit of help please?

I bought an mxq box last night from adverts. Pre loaded with all the apps. Everything seems good and the kids have watched a couple of movies no problems.

However whilst browsing I came across m*bdr*.
    Tried going into it but it keeps coming up with no data connection, check your connection. Tried it both on wifi and ethernet but still the same.

Any ideas?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can I get a bit of help please?

I bought an mxq box last night from adverts. Pre loaded with all the apps. Everything seems good and the kids have watched a couple of movies no problems.

However whilst browsing I came across m*bdr*.
    Tried going into it but it keeps coming up with no data connection, check your connection. Tried it both on wifi and ethernet but still the same.

Any ideas?

try update the addon if you can and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    try update the addon if you can and see what happens

Any ideas on how to do it? Going in to settings and there is no option to update...just asking when I'd like a reminder.

Any ideas on how to do it? Going in to settings and there is no option to update...just asking when I'd like a reminder.

not sure to be honest but try video addons, select addon, right click, update or uninstall, re-install addon. youtube after that

• Advertisement

Update it by going to thenameoftheappdotcom and downloading it.

If you stuill can't view, go to top right of the app choose the three dots -> Settings -> Player and tick "Force software decoding"

Advertisement