Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One plus one owners thread

• 20-08-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi Folks,
    As suggested (by me) on the other one plus thread. (hope this is ok mods)
    This one is purely for owners of the phone for tips and tricks and techie info.

There are other threads for invites etc.
    I have the phone 3 weeks and absolutely love it.

I'll start the ball rolling with something that I use every day, the screen gesture for next track when listening to spotify (or any music).

simply draw a right arrow > on the screen when screen is sleeping and you will skip to the next track, magic and very handy,

left arrow is for previous track <

and a double swipe down the screen with 2 fingers pauses the song/unpauses it.

I had to turn off the gesture for the torch as it seemed to be going off in my pocket and nearly burnt the nuts off me (phone was really hot and couldnt figure out why :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The main thread would have been fine if it didn't get cluttered with people giving us daily updates of the status of their orders and complaining about having to wait slightly longer than they expected. Three threads for this phone now might be pushing it a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

no worries blade, I was thinking that but as you said the other one does seem to be getting cluttered with order updates etc.

Whatever you decide is cool...
    cheers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Oh no Jaysus I'm not a mod here. I do like the idea and something had to be done, just hope it's ok with the mods.

woops, sorry .
    Thought you were a mod.

I thought it was a good idea but i don't know now.
    Might be a bit soon as not a lot of people have one.

Ah sure we'll see what happens.

Well the first thing people might want to do when they get their phone is root it, so here's an easy to follow guide posted by CyberWaste on the other thread:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Whats the benefit to rooting it that you cant do in its factory state?
    I am an owner for the past 12 days or so and cant find fault with it.
    But haven't seen any requirement to root it either...

sham69 wrote: »
    I had to turn off the gesture for the torch as it seemed to be going off in my pocket and nearly burnt the nuts off me (phone was really hot and couldnt figure out why :)

This!!! Phone kept turning on the torch in my pocket so disabled all gestures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Interesting info in case you want to sell your phone - http://www.landofdroid.com/2014/factory-reset-the-oneplus-one/

I think this might have been addressed in the latest OTA. Haven't installed it myself as they haven't ironed out the bugs yet.

Whats the benefit to rooting it that you cant do in its factory state?

Rooting it give you access to the system files so you can pretty much do anything you want with it. Some examples:

You can get rid of any pre-installed bloatware, ok there's not much of that on the OnePlus, but I did remove most of the Google stuff that I don't use like Play movies/books/newsstand/games, Google+ etc.

You can block ads not just in a browser but in apps too by using the likes of AdAway.

Do full proper backups with the likes of Titanium, without root the user data of each app can't be backed up, the likes of your passwords, game saves etc. can all be backed up with root.

Lots of cool apps that circumvent restrictions set by the manufacturer, carriers or even Google require root access.

Customise the phone a lot more, for example changing the DPI to reduce the size of the icons and so you can fit a lot more on the screen. Here's a gesture control app I'm going to try especially for volume control as the buttons are a pain to use in the case I'm using, unless someone can recommend a better one?:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodmooddroid.gesturecontroldemo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I've had mine a few days now and absolutely love it! However, every now and again, the touch sensitivity goes to shizz... It might take one or two attempts to register that i've tried to swipe the screen or open an app.
    Anyone else come across this?

Lardy wrote: »
    I've had mine a few days now and absolutely love it! However, every now and again, the touch sensitivity goes to shizz... It might take one or two attempts to register that i've tried to swipe the screen or open an app.
    Anyone else come across this?

Think I have seen it a few times.
    I put it down to the tempered glass screen shield I put on but I think it was the touch alright..

Another funny happened in the pub last night.
    Was checking my email, phone went in to standby, touched the screen to wake it up and my google music came on full blast (pub was very quiet so you can imagine the looks)

I had to turn the music gestures off..

I think I must have swiped down from the top and that seems to turn the music on.

Pity you can't choose some of the music gestures (ie next/previous song)

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

sham69 wrote: »
    Think I have seen it a few times.
    I put it down to the tempered glass screen shield I put on but I think it was the touch alright..

Another funny happened in the pub last night.
    Was checking my email, phone went in to standby, touched the screen to wake it up and my google music came on full blast (pub was very quiet so you can imagine the looks)

I had to turn the music gestures off..

I think I must have swiped down from the top and that seems to turn the music on.

Pity you can't choose some of the music gestures (ie next/previous song)

Ah well.

This happens me quite regularly with Spotify too. Not sure what way I tap or swipe the screen but it's quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Havent got around to rooting * and i am afraid ill brick mine to be honest. even following idiot proof baby steps. did however install therinky theme on my phone. quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Blade wrote: »
    Well the first thing people might want to do when they get their phone is root it, so here's an easy to follow guide posted by CyberWaste on the other thread:

This doesn't work after the 4.4.4 update.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

safetyboy wrote: »
    This doesn't work after the 4.4.4 update.

Yes it does. Worked for me anyway, but in saying that, I already had TWRP installed before updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Tinie wrote: »
    Yes it does. Worked for me anyway, but in saying that, I already had TWRP installed before updating.

same here and had update CM recovery unchecked when updating and lost root, as did loads more people over on the opo forums. I get a bootloader error when I try that video root.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

How's everyone finding the battery? First couple of days I found it pretty good but ever since updating it seems to be draining much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

The battery drain is a known issue with the update and should be addressed in the next OTA. I haven't upgraded so I'm still getting 2 days out of a charge :P

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    How's everyone finding the battery? First couple of days I found it pretty good but ever since updating it seems to be draining much faster

Battery is great.
    I didnt do the update as I heard about the drain issue.
    Waiting for the fixed version before updating.

• Advertisement

Likewise I had read about the battery drain issue so haven't updated despite being prompted to about twice per day. Will wait for the next update.

I think I must be one of the only ones that isn't seeing the battery issue? I'm on the latest update. Yesterday I managed 22 hours without a charge and still had 55% battery left. I was tethering, using LTE and a good few apps most of the day.

I think I must be one of the only ones that isn't seeing the battery issue? I'm on the latest update. Yesterday I managed 22 hours without a charge and still had 55% battery left. I was tethering, using LTE and a good few apps most of the day.

There's a bigger drain in standby mode. If you monitor it with Battery Monitor you should see an mA drain of around 50 on the new OTA while it was sleeping. Mine is between 5 and 8, I believe they've isolated the problem and got the drain down even further to 3.5 mA, but not sure it's actually been patched yet. There was also some problems with the proximity sensor needlessly adding further drain AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Blade wrote: »
    There's a bigger drain in standby mode. If you monitor it with Battery Monitor you should see an mA drain of around 50 on the new OTA while it was sleeping. Mine is between 5 and 8, I believe they've isolated the problem and got the drain down even further to 3.5 mA, but not sure it's actually been patched yet. There was also some problems with the proximity sensor needlessly adding further drain AFAIK.

Off-topic I know (and I'm not an owner yet) but has anyone tried using the functionality where an alarm has been activated where the phone has being powered off? How does it work?

Just discovered another few bugs... Have vibrate turned off for all notifications, yet it still vibrates for messages and WhatsApp messages. Also, Dark Theme in messaging doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just discovered another few bugs... Have vibrate turned off for all notifications, yet it still vibrates for messages and WhatsApp messages. Also, Dark Theme in messaging doesn't work.

I presume there's a section in the oneplus one forum for raising these bugs?

I'm not sure about messages but WhatsApp has a setting for vibrations in its app so that might be overwriting the phones vibration setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Hogan1

Running 4.4.2 but no ota updates seem to be available. Its the Chinese version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The tap to wake is still on and working perfect but the rest are off as random music and lights show was not so welcome.

Going to find it hard to go back to any screen not using 'knock to wake' or for that mater anything smaller than the oneplus!

thomasj wrote: »
    I presume there's a section in the oneplus one forum for raising these bugs?

I'm not sure about messages but WhatsApp has a setting for vibrations in its app so that might be overwriting the phones vibration setting?
    Dunno, not active on the One+ forum.
    Both Messaging and WhatsApp have the vibrate settings within the app. Both are unchecked yet still vibrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

thomasj wrote: »
    Off-topic I know (and I'm not an owner yet) but has anyone tried using the functionality where an alarm has been activated where the phone has being powered off? How does it work?

Cant say I know of any android phone that will sound an alarm if it's fully powered off.

EDIT: just tested this out and it works fine with CM own built in clock when you have quick boot/low power off mode enabled however it does not work with a 3rd pary apps like Timely.

So I would say this is better than airplane mode as most if not all the phones hardware is off over night but springs to life as soon as the alarm goes off. happy days :)

Advertisement