Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m2gbicscPK1r976pdo1_400.jpg

I'm not sure where Soren falls on the personal religious beliefs spectrum, just thought the quote was appropriate for the thread :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A new kind of mixed martial arts slapdown:

tumblr_m2m50id0GL1r5pl49o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2lvv3uQwU1rs7q8qo1_500.jpg

The man whose tongue is constricted by laws or taboos against free speech, whose pen is constricted by the censorship, whose loves are constricted by an ethic which considers jealousy a better thing than affection, whose childhood has been imprisoned in a code of manners and whose youth has been drilled in a cruel orthodoxy, will feel against the world that hampers him the same rage that is felt by the infant whose arms and legs are held motionless. In his rage he will turn to destruction, becoming a revolutionary, a militarist, or a persecuting moralist according to temperament and opportunity.

- Bertrand Russell (Emotion and Discipline)

• Advertisement

The scepticism that I advocate amounts only to this:

(1) that when the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain;

(2) that when they are not agreed, no opinion can be regarded as certain by a non-expert; and

(3) that when they all hold that no sufficient grounds for a positive opinion exist, the ordinary man would do well to suspend his judgment.

These propositions may seem mild, yet, if accepted, they would absolutely revolutionize human life.

— Bertrand Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

koth wrote: »
    — Bertrand Russell

Is that from a particular book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

"Love is wise, hatred is foolish. In this world which is getting more and more closely interconnected we have to learn to tolerate each other, we have to learn to put up with the fact that some people say things that we don’t like. We can only live together in that way. If we are to live together and not die together we must learn a kind of charity and kind of tolerance which is absolutely vital to the continuation of human life on this planet."

Bertrand Russell again.
    This time though he's the opening sample on Orbital's new album

Is that from a particular book?

The will to doubt

Haven't got the book, just happened upon the quote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not exactly a quote, but the song is a kind of Athiest anthem.

• Advertisement

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”

— Galileo Galilei

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The clergy dazzle us with heaven, or they damn us into hell
    We will not worship the God they serve,
    a God of greed who feeds the rich while poor folk starve

-Billy Bragg, The World Turned Upside Down

I don't know if he's an atheist or not, but I definitely agree with the sentiment above.

The Catholic Church has fúcked up this country - Ray D'Arcy

And the shít storm it has provoked.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-demands-a-full-apology-for-darcys-fword-accusation-3088278.html

The RCC says he's wrong? They've obviously completely forgotten the victims of child abuse at the hands of various priests back through the years.

D'arcy could have phrased it better seeing as it was at 9.15am on a weekday. But they have some brass neck to say he's factually incorrect.

Funnily enough I don't think he could have phrased it better. Succinct and apposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I hope he apologises for swearing, but stands by his comment and opinion. That way, it takes the swear word out of the equation and means if the RCC want a further apology, they can only complain about the actual point D'Arcy was making and they would have to prove that they did not f*ck up the country. Which means we'll likely never hear anything about it ever again

Penn wrote: »
    I hope he apologises for swearing, but stands by his comment and opinion. That way, it takes the swear word out of the equation and means if the RCC want a further apology, they can only complain about the actual point D'Arcy was making and they would have to prove that they did not f*ck up the country. Which means we'll likely never hear anything about it ever again

From what I've seen on twitter, D'arcy has decided to do as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

koth wrote: »
    The RCC says he's wrong? They've obviously completely forgotten the victims of child abuse at the hands of various priests back through the years.

D'arcy could have phrased it better seeing as it was at 9.15am on a weekday. But they have some brass neck to say he's factually incorrect.
    I was going to say that they just played the 'he offended every Catholic' line, but on checking the Indo piece, you're correct. I'm staggered.

EDIT: No, screw that; I'm offended. Maybe Martin Long is the one who needs to retract his comments.

tumblr_m310qxzOY21qko6hjo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Apologies if Repost.

awesome_life_quotes_1.jpg

• Advertisement

tumblr_m2n2a9WVCc1qcjwm7o1_500.png

tumblr_m2yiorrbxd1rt8sgdo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Wea3D.jpg

Technically this guy is an atheist. Although he is possibly more conservative than the current RCC Pope. But whatever he said this.

March-02-2012-01-41-35-thedalailamawhenaskedwhatsurprisedhimmostabouthumanityansweredmanbecausehesacrificeshishealthinordertomakemoney.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

"If you wake up in the morning, say a few words in Latin over your pancakes and expect it to turn into Elvis Presley, you're psychotic. If you do the same thing to a round cracker, you're a Catholic"
    -Sam Harris

:D:D

tumblr_m3op25Zw6l1qautzgo1_500.jpg

I'm not sure what religious views Alfred Lyall held -- if he held any -- but his excellent and immensely gloomy Amir's Soliloquy (from Verses written in India) suggests the fortunes of Afghanistan, and the powers that fight over it, have changed little in the last 130 years:

The Amir's Soliloquy

"Latest news from Afghanistan promises ill for future tranquility. The Amir has failed in conciliating the Duranis, there is jealousy at Herat .... the Kohistanis are discontented .... the Ghilzais are restless, Lughman tribes are showing uneasiness .... No doubt the situation is far from reassuring, and calls for great tact and administrative ability on the Amir's part." - Times telegram, 15th December, 1881.

Scene: The Bala Hissar at Kabul. The Amir soliloquises:

THUS is my banishment ended; it's twelve long years, well nigh,
    Since I fought the last of my lost fights, and saw my best men die;
    They hunted me over the passes, and up to the Oxus stream,
    We had just touched land on the far side as we saw their spearheads gleam.

Then came the dolorous exile, the life in a conquered land
    Where the Frank had trodden on Islam; the alms at a stranger's hand;
    While here in the fort of my fathers my bitterest foe held sway;
    He was ten years building his kingdom, it all fell down in a day.

May he rest, the Amir Slier Ali, in his tomb by the holy shrine;
    The virtues of God are pardon and pity, they never were mine;
    They have never been ours, in a kingdom all stained with the blood of our kin,
    Where the brothers embrace in the war-field, and the reddest sword must win.

And yet when I think of Sher Ali, as he lies in his sepulchre low,
    How he died betrayed, heartbroken, 'twixt infidel friend and foe,
    Driven from his throne by the English, and scorned by the Russian, his guest,
    I'm well content with the vengeance, and I see God works for the best.

But all His ways are warnings; and I, God's slave, must heed
    How I bargain for help with the Kafir, or lean on a venomous reed;
    For never did chief more sorely need Heaven for his aid and stay
    Than the man who would reign in this country, and tame Afghans for a day.

I look from a fort half-ruined on Kabul spreading below,
    On the near hills crowned with cannon, and the far hills piled with snow;
    Fair are the vales well watered, and the vines on the upland swell,
    You might think you were reigning in Heaven - I know I am ruling Hell.

For there's hardly a room in my palace but a kinsman there was killed,
    And never a street in the city but with false fierce curs is filled;
    With a mob of priests, and fanatics, and all my mutinous host;
    They follow my steps, as the wolves do, for a prince who slips is lost.

And they eye me askance, the Mollahs, the bigots who preach and pray,
    Who followed my march with curses till I scattered Ayub that day;
    They trusted in texts and forgot that the chooser of kings is a sword;
    There are twenty now silent and stark, for I showed them the ways of the Lord.

And far from the Suleiman heights come the sounds of the stirring of tribes,
    Afreedi, Hazara, and Ghilzi, they clamour for plunder or bribes;
    And Herat is but held by a thread; and the Usbeg has raised Badukshan;
    And the chief may sleep sound, in his grave, who would rule the unruly Afghan.

Shall I stretch my right hand to the Indus, that England may fill it with gold?
    Shall my left beckon aid from the Oxus? the Russian blows hot and blows cold;
    The Afghan is but grist in their mill, and the waters are moving it fast,
    Let the stone be the upper or nether, it grinds him to powder at last.

And the lord of the English writes, "Order, and justice, and govern with laws,"
    And the Russian he sneers and says, "Patience, and velvet to cover your claws;"
    But the kingdoms of Islam are crumbling, and round me a voice ever rings
    Of death, and the doom of my country; Shall I be the last of its kings?

^^^ Gosh, does nobody like old Alfred? Even just the last four/five verses? <sad sigh>!

Meanwhile, back in the 20th century:

204493.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A goody I saw on Reddit.

tNXAx.jpg

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Gosh, does nobody like old Alfred? Even just the last four/five verses? <sad sigh>!

Rob you of all people should know that the majority of us hail from a generation where the standard attention span is less than 30 seconds anything longer and we either, ignore it, forget it or .

<3 This one.
    mark-twain-education-quote.jpg

Advertisement