Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clubs and Societies Awards 2012

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

So you're saying that societies shouldn't look to improve and expand their events? That the International society shouldn't look to improve on the food fair that won them the award a few years ago? I'm sure the committee who organised that event would be chuffed that you think it's the standard to be at every year and that nothing should try and beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Stating the bleedingly obvious but most people just vote for the people they like (or, at best, for whom they have respect in an organisational capacity) when it comes to best event for either clubs or societies. They almost certainly haven't been to the event (particularly if it happened in another country organised by a club or soc of which they're not a member. Or, heaven help us, on a weekend.) but they know who they reckon are good people so they vote on that basis.

I suspect that this will surprise very few non-myopic people.

While "event" has a scientific definition, "event" when it comes to clubs and socs has a rather more fluid definition (and understandably so) so you can't blame people for how they nominate what they consider to be the most likely view of a moment in time, a day, or an ongoing activity in order to secure a bit of support. And being realistic, the elasticity of what might consider an "event" doesn't lend itself to a non-fluid definition of what constitutes an "event" in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

The Eurovision Song Contest

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

The Eurovision Song Contest

Parkour and Trampolining - Bit wierd competing against each other. Usually they do everything together!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

DJCR wrote: »
    Parkour and Trampolining - Bit wierd competing against each other. Usually they do everything together!

I know, I thought the same when I saw it !! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 okoneill

Chimaera wrote: »
    It bothers me somewhat that 2 of the 3 events put in for best club event are foreign trips.

From the records on the website, it shows the last time an international trip won best club event was at the 2005 ball.

With only 3 of the 13 records being international, I think adding points for promoting UL/ULSU would be unnecessary. And in any case, wouldn't driving the Wolves Jeep/Sprinter/Bus around the continent fit into this category?

Best Club Event

2010/2011 Windsurfing - Hosting Intervarsities
    2009/2010 Outdoor Pursuits - Glendalough Valentines Ball
    2008/2009 Ultimate Frisbee - Hoisting 'Siege of Limerick' Intervarsities
    2007/2008 Kayak - Hosting Intervarsities
    2006/2007 Outdoor Pursuits & Kayak - Lisnagry Respite Charity Santa Hats
    2005/2006 Basketball - Hosting Intervarsities
    2004/2005 Kayak - Alps Trip
    2003/2004 Sailing - Intervarsities
    2002/2003 Outdoor Pursuits - Aconcagua Expedition
    1999/2000 Rowing - Head of the Charles, Boston USA
    1998/1999 Soccer - Collingwood Cup
    1997/1998 Sailing - Intervarsities Dromineer
    1996/1997 Sailing - Regatta Killaloe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Any opinions on the lifetime achievement awards?

I'm thinking if rose doesn't win club individual she should be a front runner.

For societies, David Hartery might be a candidate. Don't know who else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Why would it be that it bothers anyone where trips occur?
    Can't understand why it is that people would criticise any decision to put forward and international trip for consideration.

Why would it be that it bothers anyone where trips occur?
    Can't understand why it is that people would criticise any decision to put forward and international trip for consideration.

I have no problem with submisisons of international trips being considered for best event (or winning). The problem is the current attitude seems to be if you don't do a foreign trip, you don't have a best event. I think this stems from the proposals and forms you fill in to go abroad, yet for something on campus (and in Ireland) you can do with a lot less forms to be filled out. This means a lot more work when creating a proposal for best event.

It would be interesting to see what have the nominations been every year (no idea why it isn't on the website). As I'm certain each year since I've been there, there has been at least 1 foreign trip nominated each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

reunion wrote: »
    The problem is the current attitude seems to be if you don't do a foreign trip, you don't have a best event.

I haven't found this to be the attitude at all. The history of event winners doesn't support it either.

Seems like a lot of C&S don't actually engage with the awards at all with only limited numbers of submissions going in a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I have an issue with the lack of points going for competitive achievements. Yes, I know some clubs are non-competitive but there should be a greater weighting on achievements.

A club which has won several intervarsities in a row, represented Ireland and UL in a world championship, become the first Irish university to be invited to the British championships... all in the space of the last 12 months would earn a maximum of 3/92 points which is ridiculous in my opinion. Also in the promotion category, why is promotion of the university name nationally or internationally weighted much lower than within UL?

Anyone share an opinion on this?

ned14 wrote: »
    I have an issue with the lack of points going for competitive achievements. Yes, I know some clubs are non-competitive but there should be a greater weighting on achievements.

A club which has won several intervarsities in a row, represented Ireland and UL in a world championship, become the first Irish university to be invited to the British championships... all in the space of the last 12 months would earn a maximum of 3/92 points which is ridiculous in my opinion. Also in the promotion category, why is promotion of the university name nationally or internationally weighted much lower than within UL?

Anyone share an opinion on this?

Those points are from BICS and were voted on by council. You may propose to have them changed.

It is only based on 1 year's achievements. Winning IV's for 7 years in a row is meaningless and should be discounted. The only information you can take is that you won this years IV.

Achievements also don't need to be competitive, getting a high number of members, more people at training, etc. Everyone should be scoring 3/3 in this category

You have other categories where you could talk about the training required to get to the standard to win the IV's. That's where the other points should come from.

You are right, there isn't enough points directly for achievements, but then again I don't want a badly run club/society being nominated because they won one award. There are enough points indirectly for achievements though.

You are a college club/society first and foremost. If you can't publicise yourselves on campus why bother publicising yourselves off campus? The club/society are their to help students so you should be getting full marks for on campus advertising.

Societies
    Best Soc: International Soc.
    Best New/Improved Soc: Out in UL.
    Best Soc Event: Queerbash 8.
    Best Soc Individual: Niall Out in UL

Clubs
    Best Club:Windsurfing
    Best New/Improved Club: Trampoline.
    Best Club Event: Wales Trip (Kayak)
    Best Club Individual: David OPC

Mike Sadlier: David Hartery (DebU)
    Paddy McHugh: Sarah Jennings (international Soc.)
    Jason Hackett: Ginge (OPC)

Fairly sure I got them all right there! Congratulations to everyone involved, I think all the winners are highly deserving. Some must have been close calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Cadroc wrote: »
    Societies
    Best Soc: International Soc.
    Best New/Improved Soc: Out in UL.
    Best Soc Event: Queerbash 8.
    Best Soc Individual: Niall Out in UL

Clubs
    Best Club:Windsurfing
    Best New/Improved Club: Trampoline.
    Best Club Event: Wales Trip (Kayak)
    Best Club Individual: David OPC

Mike Sadlier: David Hartery (DebU)
    Paddy McHugh: Sarah Jennings (international Soc.)
    Jason Hackett: Ginge (OPC)

Fairly sure I got them all right there! Congratulations to everyone involved, I think all the winners are highly deserving. Some must have been close calls!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Him having a real name is all just an illusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

what's the jason hackett thing about

Jason Hackett is for Outstanding Commitment to Clubs over 4 years minimum. Mike Sadlier is the Societies equivalent and Paddy McHugh is the Best Fresher of all clubs and socs combined.

Advertisement