Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sean Sherlock.

A Godwin moment.

Quite Fitting. Can we actively work toward his nomination for a Darwin award also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who's up for setting up a new internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Your talents are truly wasted here. The Sun needs you!

The Sun already shines out of my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Google images is pretty much fucked, as every image on it is technically copyright. Facebook is fucked, as if someone uploads a picture taken or made by someone other than themselves, they've breached copyright. Music review websites are fucked, because if they make a negative review of an album, the record label can say they've breached copyright if they have, say, a picture of the band, or the album cover on the article, shut them right down.

To put it simply, your internet is now going to be shaped by the record and movie industries.

Not to mention that home video you made of the kids singing along to a song playing on the radio in the background is now violating copyright and will be removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mprgst78

This whole thing is F***ing mental. Why are we all not out on the streets calling for the blood of these thieving politicians???:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 InflatableEgo

waited till the heat died down and went and signed it into law anyway

Well said. Bloody terrible alright.
    There is no freedom in this world. Just an illusion of.

Things like ACTA/Sopa and the rest arent for the good of the average joe. No. They are for the good of big companies.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just fired off an email. Feel free to nab it and use it yourself if you wish. I won't sue ;)
    Dear Junior Minister Sherlock,

It has been reported that this afternoon, the legislation dubbed the "Irish SOPA" has been signed into law. I wish to question why you chose to ignore the uproar and controversy that has surrounded this issue ever since it was originally announced.

Ireland is internationally considered to be one of the best places in the world for IT companies to locate; legislation like this is not only a deterrent to future investors, but is beginning to make large international corporations like Google question if Ireland is really the place for them to be (Source: http://tinyurl.com/6nasjhr). If Google decide to leave Ireland (thus taking 2000 jobs with them) as a direct result of your actions today, will you be held to account? In this time of economic turbulence, how can you possibly afford to be so careless when it comes to internet legislation?

Your actions today have damaged the Labour Party's credibility when it comes to matters of technology, and has almost guaranteed the end of your personal political career.

Yours in disappointment,

Just fired off an email. Feel free to nab it and use it yourself if you wish. I won't sue ;)

Why do you expect any different? Why do you all think that somehow all we need are the "right" politicians? This is politicians. You all act so surprised but you keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

the shelock fella only signed this act so he could rub balls with the big corporates after he gets ****ed out of government at the next election.covering his ass for the future you might say..the guy has not got one clue about the internet.This guarantees him a cushy number as a political analysist or advisor to one of the big corporations.grr rant over.:mad:

• Advertisement

mprgst78 wrote: »
    Why do you expect any different? Why do you all think that somehow all we need are the "right" politicians? This is politicians. You all act so surprised but you keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Eh? Where did I say any of that stuff in your post?

I'm entitled to send off an angry email when a politician fucks up. Nothing will come from it (nothing did from campaigning before the fact either) but at least I can make my voice heard in some small way.

This is still a democracy last time I checked.

Eh? Where did I say any of that stuff in your post?

I'm entitled to send off an angry email when a politician fucks up. Nothing will come from it (nothing did from campaigning before the fact either) but at least I can make my voice heard in some small way.

This is still a democracy last time I checked.

That's my point. This is democracy. Look at its beautiful features. Look at how the same scumbags are in power every time. Look at how your rights are slowly but surely eroded. Look at how your wages are pilfered every month to be put into the pockets of your "representatives" only to be handed out as bribes for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This whole thing is F***ing mental. Why are we all not out on the streets calling for the blood of these thieving politicians???:mad:

careful now, "the streets" is the copyrighted name of a band,cant be slinging that around willy nilly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

That's my point. This is democracy. Look at its beautiful features. Look at how the same scumbags are in power every time. Look at how your rights are slowly but surely eroded. Look at how your wages are pilfered every month to be put into the pockets of your "representatives" only to be handed out as bribes for votes.

Don't try to apply your angst to me. It's got nothing to do with anything I've written here in this thread and makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

for posting copyrighted material marcsignal you have hereby been sentenced to 41 yrs in mountjoy
    regards
    SS:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

If only ye did something, maybe this wouldnt have happened but ye were all on here complaining about it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

In laymans terms what exactly will be affected for a normal internet user?

I mean, is this only gonna target stuff like the sharing of music, film and TV?

Whats this about Google, Youtube, etc? Are you saying if you link a song on FB from Youtube you'll be breaking the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

OK, this is the last straw. As much as it pains me to say it, Fine Gael and Labour are just as bad as Fianna Fail. They have no respect for democracy and are utterly incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

fedor.2. wrote: »
    If only ye did something, maybe this wouldnt have happened but ye were all on here complaining about it instead.

*reads post whilst listening to Alanis Morissette through headphones*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I went to two of the shittest protests in the world over it, actually, so stop your preaching.

I went to two of the shittest protests in the world over it, actually, so stop your preaching.

Ya its tough to get the nerds to mobilise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Just having my nails done as I type ...thank SOPA the keyboard is adapted so that it doesn't smudge the polish. Phew!

Haelium wrote: »
    OK, this is the last straw. As much as it pains me to say it, Fine Gael and Labour are just as bad as Fianna Fail. They have no respect for democracy and are utterly incompetent.

GRRRR go get um tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Having seen his website I now understand how he passed the law. I mean the man mustn't be aware of Facebook or Youtube or infact any digital content past 1998. I look forward to hearing him crying about being kicked out on usenet in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Sure, we all say "kiss your career goodbye". But remember this is Ireland, a country that isnt capable of running itself half decently. Nothing will probably happen to him. This country remains to be a joke of a place.

The brits didnt trust us to be able to run the place properly, and they were probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

The whole this is so stupid anyway, anyone with a lick of IT knowledge can bypass it anyway.

Can we all at least do something to show our outrage. Maybe egg his house, I know it's a bit childish but I want that guy to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

"Hello there, I'm your local representative and I'm not going to represent you, thereby going against all the fundamentals of a representative democracy. Instead, I'm going to represent myself and my party's agenda. Thank you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Picture uploaded by a hero on Sherlocks facebook

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/64098_10150593905632399_637447398_9468793_1733713046_n.jpg

Don't worry, it's not copywritten

Edit: all credit to kjl, class picture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

I'd like to remind everyone about the level of anger and frustration being leveled at him on his Facebook page. If you have an account let him know about it. Just be quick. There maybe some copyrighted material on Facebook and..... well I'm sure Sean knows what I mean.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sean-Sherlock-TD/185032148201312

Advertisement