Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disruption of Threads - Tell Us What You Think

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

maccored wrote: »
    What I'm saying is very. very simple.

If you have any questions about the paranormal, presently (imo), the only way to get them answered is to go look. There is no proof, and probably wont be for years to come.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, at the same time, so as a skeptic, I would hedge bets that in some time in the future some of things we currently regard as paranormal will be explained in one way or another.

Only if people look though. Not if they demand someone supplies them with an answer.

You don't get the point, though. Absence of evidence is solid ground not to believe in something, at least for any rational person. I simply cannot understand how one can propagate such a belief, expect believe to believe them, and say "there's no proof, thugh" in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im sorry - i honestly dont think you get it. Its very simple (as Ive said). Dont ask people for proof when there isnt any (as yet).

If you believe in science, then you understand you will never prove anything without researching it. cynics seem to be expecting results but ridiculing anyone who tries to research the whole thing. thats a tad bit silly if you ask me.

If you dont believe in science then I suppose you could say 'theres no proof so I dont believe you'. I say fair enough. I dont have any interest (at all) in changing your mind.

Go look if you're interested, dont bother if you arent. Just quit expecting people to run around proving things to you.
    I simply cannot understand how one can propagate such a belief, expect believe to believe them, and say "there's no proof, thugh" in the same sentence.

Now if thats in reference to me, explain where I have EVER asked anyone to believe me? Dont you get the point that no-one cares if you believe them or not?

I think the biggest problem with the mis-labelled 'skeptics' on this forum, is they somehow believe those who have had paranormal experiences actually want to make the 'skeptics' believe them.

Really .... thats a bit childish.

feel free by the way, to tell us what, in your opinion, would be proof of something paranormal? (EDIT - I see I already asked you that but you never bothered explaining. I suppose you wont give me an answer this time either)

Then tell me how you would find out this info or if you expect someone to go research it and then tell you all about it.
    Then tell me why in Gods name anyone would want to do that.

Gumbi wrote: »
    You don't get the point, though. Absence of evidence is solid ground not to believe in something, at least for any rational person. I simply cannot understand how one can propagate such a belief, expect believe to believe them, and say "there's no proof, thugh" in the same sentence.

Absence of evidence is solid ground not to believe in something, at least for any rational person.

Imagine if everyone thought like that .... we'd never discover anything.

• Advertisement

Imagine if everyone thought like that .... we'd never discover anything.

We're talking about challenging claims here, you continue to allude to something different. Einstein wouldn't have believed/disbelieved in faster than light travel before his theory of relativity.

just admit you cant back up your demands for 'proof', as you have no interest in finding any yourself. It'll save you having to answer all those pesky questions Ive already asked - all of which you have ignored. If Einstein thought like the way you are recommending - ie no proof, no questions and lets not bother looking - then he wouldnt have amounted to much and probably wouldnt have discovered the things he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I'm new to the boards but far from new to the subject of the paranormal (over 10yrs experience) but from going back over the boards and i mean way back i have seen quite a lot of disruptions from playfully cheeky to completely belittling someone because of their beliefs. i do think a healthy dose of skepticism is needed when assessing the evidence but calling someone names over it or implying they have mental issues is ridiculous and its testament to how good the boards are run that a moderator jumped in each time and issued warnings or even bans. the whole "show me proof" thing is a double edged sword i think. if someone posts about an anomaly in a photo then they can easily post the photo here and that can count as "proof" but if someone has a genuine experience of a spirit and it only lasted a few seconds getting that proof is next to impossible.

You can discount it as a lack of sleep/types of medication or drink etc but to them getting the proof just isn't possible. its been great flicking back through the last 50 or so pages and skimming through different postings but skepticism is one thing and ignorance is something else. i find if someone confides in me about a haunting or experience they had a hard time coming to terms with what what happened. its not easy to go online and post it regardless of the anonymity so there should be a level of respect given that can balance with a persons preconceived skepticism. if not then its a lot more than a disruption and would certainly put a lot of people off posting about their own experiences which is the last thing a board needs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I'm new to the boards but far from new to the subject of the paranormal (over 10yrs experience) but from going back over the boards and i mean way back i have seen quite a lot of disruptions from playfully cheeky to completely belittling someone because of their beliefs.

Yeah, I've observed exactly the same thing. I remember the first time I ever saw this forum and, before going into the threads (upon seeing the thread titles), I was genuinely surprised to see people basically being attacked for either reporting some strange experience they had, or for expressing their belief in something. I expected the forum to be more tolerant and welcoming than that, so I was a bit taken aback, as well as being surprised that little vetting of the discordant posters seemed to be in operation.
    [...] but if someone has a genuine experience of a spirit and it only lasted a few seconds getting that proof is next to impossible.

That's very true. In most instances, you're going about your normal business - say, walking from A to B, or putting out rubbish - so you're hardly going to have a camcorder or camera on you in case you think you might see a ghost. Then, when you do see or experience something, you tend to be stood frozen to the spot (or, at least, in my own case anyway) trying to figure out WTF you're looking at and where it came from. You don't think in that seconds-long window of time, "Oh, I better go fetch my camera to capture this!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Seems to me that some members see the need to declare their scepticism on each thread, often accompanied by somewhat unnecessary derogatory comment.

Gets a bit repetitive and offers nothing to the conversation.

• Advertisement

just admit you cant back up your demands for 'proof', as you have no interest in finding any yourself. It'll save you having to answer all those pesky questions Ive already asked - all of which you have ignored. If Einstein thought like the way you are recommending - ie no proof, no questions and lets not bother looking - then he wouldnt have amounted to much and probably wouldnt have discovered the things he did.

I'm not a scientist. If I were, I may take an interest in your claims, and I may investigate. But I'm not. You're making claims and I am merely responding with "That's strange, I've neither seen nor heard of anything like that before. Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?"

I ask one final time - what would be acceptable as 'evidence'? Wish someone would tell me that rather than waffling on about needing 'evidence'.

Plus what claims am I making? Are you going to ignore that question too?

I'm not a scientist. If I were, I may take an interest in your claims, and I may investigate. But I'm not. You're making claims and I am merely responding with "That's strange, I've neither seen nor heard of anything like that before. Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as a sensitive myself i often get ridicule from others,but it no longer bothers me,i cannot show proof of my sightings even when others are with me at the time, but out there are thousands of others like me,as everyone is a sensitive at one level or another.

I ask one final time - what would be acceptable as 'evidence'? Wish someone would tell me that rather than waffling on about needing 'evidence'.

Plus what claims am I making? Are you going to ignore that question too?

The proverbial you. Not you specifically, I'm talking about general paranormal claims.

OK - even though you're trying to say that you werent saying what you were saying but instead saying something else using words that completely didnt point that out - i'll move on.

Now, how about answering the first part of the post?
    The proverbial you. Not you specifically, I'm talking about general paranormal claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

It's all in your head

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Why is the Paranormal forum in "Recreational"? and not like in "Science" or some forum?

oh wait.......

Words of extreme wisdom. :rolleyes:
    cup of tea wrote: »
    It's all in your head

Whoever said the paranormal was scientific?

Why do you think it would ever be in '"Science" or some forum?' (I suppose I'll add that to the growing list of other unanswered questions for cynics already in this thread)
    Why is the Paranormal forum in "Recreational"? and not like in "Science" or some forum?

oh wait.......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@cupoftea & TiltedBrain. Please dont derail this thread with smart ass derogatory comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Oryx wrote: »
    @cupoftea & TiltedBrain. Please dont derail this thread with smart ass derogatory comments.

I thought this thread was derailed long time past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 mintoffdom

I have a wierd recurring dream. Is that paranormal? It invloves turning up at the Leaving Cert to find a different subject than the one I expected.

I'm always expecting English and it's always Physics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 mintoffdom

My apologies. I had not noticed this thread had expired. :(

i would say the chances are absolutely, minutely tiny. Theres just so much we dont understand how how the mind works its way through dreams that there could be zillions of perfectly normal explanations for the reoccurring ones which we just arent aware of as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Reading through this and other threads, it seems that some boards.ie members hang around to do little else other than to take issue with posts, and seem to relish protracted keyboard confrontation. Not nice.

Reading through this and other threads, it seems that some boards.ie members hang around to do little else other than to take issue with posts, and seem to relish protracted keyboard confrontation. Not nice.
    While that may be true, I don't believe it is so in this case, rather the posters here take offence at disagreement.

id say posters take offence at the assumption that they are thick/stupid/gullible/mad etc etc moreso than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I find it strange that people's weird experiences are better received in the 'mysteries of the unexplained' forum than they are in the paranormal forum. You could post the same story in both forums and get constructive opinions in one and a load of abuse in the other :rolleyes: It seems there are boardsie trolls constantly lurking in the shadows of the paranormal forum.... Pity really :(

I find it strange that people's weird experiences are better received in the 'mysteries of the unexplained' forum than they are in the paranormal forum. You could post the same story in both forums and get constructive opinions in one and a load of abuse in the other :rolleyes: It seems there are boardsie trolls constantly lurking in the shadows of the paranormal forum.... Pity really :(
    There's a key difference, though. In the other forum, one is positing a mysterious experience and having no clue as to what exactly happened. Here, the posts are along the vein of "something happened, ghosts are real". Fundamentally different viewpoints.

• Advertisement

you obviously are reading a different forum than the rest of us. what usually happens is someone posts usually some kind of experience and then cynics arrive demanding the OP proves 'ghosts are real'.

Advertisement