Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Tyres Galway

Options
  • 15-10-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Read a few old threads but thought I'd ask to get updated advice. I need 4 new tyres as I'm driving on threads. Want to get this sorted before the weekend if possible.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Kieran Farrel tyres ballybane are as cheap as I've come across in town and sound to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Francis in Clonboo is good too, as well as that there tyre place in Knocknacarra.
    You may want to ring to check that they have the brand and size you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

thx for tip guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thanks for the help thus far!

I've called around those 3, didn't get thru to Francis yet.

Currently have Bridgestone 57885 ER32: 185/65R 15 88H. These are way too expensive now, at the time I bought 8 for an ok price.

I'm not really familiar/comfortable with super budget tyres. It's a family car so safety in wet conditions is what I'm after meaning I'll plunk down the extra €20/ea for a bit of peace of mind.

I got quoted €60 for Avent(sp?), €70 for Kumho, €80 for Firestone. Never heard of any of em except Firestone which I thought sucked.

Any help there lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm a big fan of Uniroyal Rainexpert but you can probably find others too for similar money. I had them on a BMW 3 for one of the harsher winters and they performed well even then. Grip in wet is really good.
    Review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

newkie wrote: »
    Thanks for the help thus far!

I've called around those 3, didn't get thru to Francis yet.

Currently have Bridgestone 57885 ER32: 185/65R 15 88H. These are way too expensive now, at the time I bought 8 for an ok price.

I'm not really familiar/comfortable with super budget tyres. It's a family car so safety in wet conditions is what I'm after meaning I'll plunk down the extra €20/ea for a bit of peace of mind.

I got quoted €60 for Avent(sp?), €70 for Kumho, €80 for Firestone. Never heard of any of em except Firestone which I thought sucked.

Any help there lads?
    Firestone are sound, bit soft, can wear relatively quickly. Firestone got a bad reputation about 10 years ago when some Ford 4x4 yoke rolled over when the Firestone tyre blew out for some reason.
    Kumho aren't too bad, depends on the specific tyre. Hankook are quite good for reasonable money if you can get a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Kieran Farrell is about 50 a pop for cheapest tyres. Decent up there too.

Got through to Francis and he recommended Avon at €75/each. No idea there, guessing they are middle of the road as they were the same price as Firestones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

newkie wrote: »
    Got through to Francis and he recommended Avon at €75/each. No idea there, guessing they are middle of the road as they were the same price as Firestones.
    Avon are reasonably good actually. They've come on a good bit in the last few years. I think they're owned by Cooper, which would be a big name in the US, not so much here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

The last few times I've got tyres I got them from tyreaware.ie. They're based in ballinderreen but they come and fit the tyres at your house / work which is very handy.Send them an online query and they are quick to get back to you with a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

am sorta sure event are a cheaper brand made by either michelin or continental n not chinese. kumho are a pretty decent tyre too n i would rate higher than firestone.
    either of the first 2, check the spare see if its a full size bridgestone n stick the worn one in the boot - save ya a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

Kevin Burke tyres have good prices.

Just to follow up I had Francis install 4 Michelin Energy Plus tyres while I was at work yesterday. Very pleased with the service, him coming to you is a huge plus. Nice fella and fair price. Was an easy experience and now I have that off my to do list.

Advertisement