Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rubber plant drooping

• 06-03-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

I have a variagated ficus elastica rubber plant. I water it when the leave seem to drop and they point up. but now the leaves re drooping and have a mark around the edges like mold. What way should theleaves point straight out or up

Searched a lot some say over watering some say under watering:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a variagated ficus elastica rubber plant. I water it when the leave seem to drop and they point up. but now the leaves re drooping and have a mark around the edges like mold. What way should theleaves point straight out or up

You can buy 2 meter long "Capillary Matting" in Aldi at the moment for 7 euro.

I just bought this for my 7 feet tall Kentia Palm plants,and so far,its working a treat.

The matting is cut to suit,and placed inside large plastic tomato bag trays,then the tray and matting is watered,and the Kentia palms suck up the water,as and when they need it.

I also repotted the Kentia Palms into bigger square pots too.

Regards.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can buy 2 meter long "Capillary Matting" in Aldi at the moment for 7 euro.

I just bought this for my 7 feet tall Kentia Palm plants,and so far,its working a treat.

The matting is cut to suit,and placed inside large plastic tomato bag trays,then the tray and matting is watered,and the Kentia palms suck up the water,as and when they need it.

I also repotted the Kentia Palms into bigger square pots too.

Regards.:)
    thanks , that second pic is really nice.

thanks , that second pic is really nice.

Thanks.Thats just my marine fish tank,still in the process of setting it up.

Decided to add in the Kentia Palms along with the tank to make a "living room divider".

Bought the Kentia Palm plants up in Ikea for 26 euro each.Good bargain.

Got the black square fibreglass pots on the cheap (30% off sale) from Homebase in Santry.Also got the 2 plastic trays in Homebase too (30% off too).

Thanks.:)

Also spray (1 litre misting/spray bottle) some tepid water over the plants and leaves from time to time,this also helps the plants to stay healthy and not droop.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Mould on leaves/ flowers of indoor plants usually points to over- watering.

Is there any browning on the tips or edges of the leaves and is this something that has happened quite quickly or slowly over time?

Do you let the top 1cm of the compost on top of the pot dry out between watering? That is probably the best way of judging moisture levels rather than the leaves because some plants hide under or over- watering better than others- especially big rubbery leaves like ficus. A peace lily would let you know as soon as its not wet enough and just drop its leaves to the ground in protest!

If you think the plant is over- watered try repotting it as it could recover.

Something that might not seem obvious- does the pot the plant is in have drainage holes at the bottom where excess water can escape or is the pot inside a pot or drip tray that holds water(so your carpet etc. doesnt get wet) Make sure a drip tray like this is emptied between waterings so the plant isn' t sitting in water constantly.

Or try the capillary matting suggested before by Paddy147 so long as the matting is just wet and the matting isn' t sitting in water too inside a drip tray or pot. It might help. :)

• Advertisement

muckyhands wrote: »
    Do you let the top 1cm of the compost on top of the pot dry out between watering?
    yes. I shoe my finger down to test if the soil is wet
    Something that might not seem obvious- does the pot the plant is in have drainage holes at the bottom where excess water can escape or
    yes
    is the pot inside a pot or drip tray that holds water(so your carpet etc. doesnt get wet) Make sure a drip tray like this is emptied between waterings so the plant isn' t sitting in water constantly
    it is in a pot inside a pot if you know what i mean. Under the pot its in there are little stones so it does not sit in water.

I think it is too dry if anything as the upper leaves stop drooping when watered but lower leaves are falling off

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

yes. I shoe my finger down to test if the soil is wet

yes

it is in a pot inside a pot if you know what i mean. Under the pot its in there are little stones so it does not sit in water.

I think it is too dry if anything as the upper leaves stop drooping when watered but lower leaves are falling off

Thanks

The leaves are usually described as 'drooping' .

How old is the plant?

Do the lowest leaves kind of turn yellow and then fall off? Tree types of rubber plants like yours tend to do this as they age and can end up a little 'leggy'.

It could also indicate that it needs to be fed if the leaf edges yellow and some of the lower leaves fall off.

They dont like to be repotted too often though, say every 2- 3 years.

When you water, do you use water straight out of the tap or is it tepid? Cold water out of a tap would shock it when its used to being at a warm room temp. Water very little esp. in winter months.

Hope this helps some. :)

muckyhands wrote: »
    The leaves are usually described as 'drooping' .

How old is the plant?

Do the lowest leaves kind of turn yellow and then fall off? Tree types of rubber plants like yours tend to do this as they age and can end up a little 'leggy'.

It could also indicate that it needs to be fed if the leaf edges yellow and some of the lower leaves fall off.

They dont like to be repotted too often though, say every 2- 3 years.

When you water, do you use water straight out of the tap or is it tepid? Cold water out of a tap would shock it when its used to being at a warm room temp. Water very little esp. in winter months.

Hope this helps some. :)
    i don't think the leaves should be drooping see top pic at http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/POW/variegated_plants.htm

I have it 4 years, repotted once. I do use cold water from a tap but always did. I think if anything it is too dry because on wateringthe top leaves rise up a bit.

here it is, see top leaves pointing up. It could be pot bound but some sites say they like being a little bit pot bound. all the sites contradict each other

here it is, see top leaves pointing up. It could be pot bound but some sites say they like being a little bit pot bound. all the sites contradict each other

Have you fed the plant at all?

Take it out of the pot,and inspect the roots.If they are spiraling around in the pot,then Id stick it in a bigger pot.

They dont need alot of water.The water should be tepid (as in not too cold and not too warm).Cold tap water will shock them.

Remember,its a tropical plant that originates/comes from a much warmer climate.

My Kentia Palms suffered from this fate,and now they are flying,after I took advice on watering with tepid water,feeding them and misting the leaves regulary.

With regards all these various websites and their advice contradicting each other........If thats the case,then just make a choice and go/stick with that choice then.

See what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement