Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open source Stress Test Tool

• 04-09-2007 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone know of a good freeware/open source stress tool that would be suitable to test a Java servlet based website? Something that can simulate a number of users on the site simultaneously and preforming different processes.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dunno if you can still get WAST or JHammer.

MS produced WAST (Web App stress tool) which you just program the steps and then decide the number of threads to hit the site with .. unfortunately its a great tool for taking down sites as well

I used to have a tool called JHammer but I dont know if that was commerically bought or if one of the devs had it as part of his resource kit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Can't locate any pages refering to JHammer. I'll look into WAST but not sure if it's suitable, it looks more like a brute network traffic test.

Thanks Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

WAST will stress test a web app, for example, you want to see what its like when 50 users all attempt searches at the same time, or other types of common scenarios..

I am thinking JHammer was a java app one of our devs worked on. Will see if I can find it.

Depends on what type of stress test you are attempting

Also there is WCAT 5.2

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/aff5a41e-26b2-4338-b062-7649a9e14e16.mspx?mfr=true

But its for IIS rather than browsers

Do you want to do browser based stress tests or component stress testing? Might be an idea to write a quick test harness that implements the proceedure and forks a couple of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

for just brute force URL calls and to see how your servlet performs and scales, I use apache bench which is very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

i'm looking for something along the lines of Loadrunner

Advertisement