Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Cork V Kilkenny match is being shown live by TG4 on Sunday at 3.

Excellent - Waterford v Galway on after it. Couch day me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Not only is Willam Egan out with a bruised hand,but Tom Kenny is now also out for Sunday as he is on Honeymoon.
    Cork will need two replacements now in the half back line.According to the Echo Egan will be out for 10 days.At least he is not out for too long.
    Michael Walsh of Kildorrey could well start.He is tough solid defender.
    Im sure he played in this fixture in 2011 and done well.

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Kilkenny Sunday at 3 is:
    1. Anthony Nash Kanturk
    2. Shane O'Neill Bishospstown
    3. Brian Murphy Bride Rovers
    4. Conor O'Sullivan Sarsfields
    5. Lorchan Mcloughlin Kanturk
    6. Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh
    7. Stephen White Ballygarvan
    8. Pa Cronin Bishopstown
    9. Daniel Kearney Sarsfields
    10. Conor Lehane Midleton
    11. Cian Mccarthy Sarsfields
    12. Paudie O Sullivan Cloyne
    13. Stephen Moylan Douglas
    14 .Luke O Farell Midleton
    15. Patrick Horgan Glen Rovers
    Subs
      Darren McCarthy Ballymartle
      Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
    Kilian Murphy Erins Own
      Mark Ellis Milstreet
    Brian Hartnett Midleton
      Michael Walsh Kildorrery
    Colm Spillane Castlelyons
      Michael Cussen Sarsfields
    Adrian Mannix Kildorrey
    Peter O Brien Kildorrey
    Fintan O Leary Ballinhassig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The Cork V Kilkenny match is being shown live by TG4 on Sunday at 3.

The is the game which will determine where we are progresswise, this Cork team is possibly one of the worst we have had since 2007. However, some of the other counties are not in any great shapes either. Tipp Waterford and especially Galway are really just a false indication to us, Galway especially who can't perform when they have to. Apparently we are the 6th best team at the moment but looking at some of the teams classified ahead of Cork it would make you laugh. Tipp love getting thrashed from time to time, Waterford are gutsy but always fail against Kilkenny and bottle under pressure to win important games just put them into an All Ireland semi Final or Final. then Galway just aren't worth mentioning in fairness sub average at best and fail when they really need to win. In an all ireland final you can put your bets on Galways opposite team which i did last September and safe bet too. This Kilkenny team are a credit and set the standards for the rest since 2000. I expect Kilkenny to beat us by 7 points and win League at their ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Amprodude wrote: »
    Our hurlers are not good enough but do give it their best. Look at Cork footballers, they have/had one of the best forward lines in the country and they only have 1 All Ireland. Big difference.

That's different. I'm talking about effort and workrate.

Originally you said 'the hurlers always give it their best shot and that the same can't be said of the footballers'

Now you are saying that the footballers have underachieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Anyone doubting the footballer's work ethic is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Orizio wrote: »
    Anyone doubting the footballer's work ethic is taking the piss.

+1

Fitness levels and work ethic of the Cork Footballers is absolutely unquestionable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Blue Magic wrote: »
    +1

Fitness levels and work ethic of the Cork Footballers is absolutely unquestionable!

I disagree. We werent fit enough to beat Donegal last year for a team that was supposed to be one of the best in Ireland for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

The Kilkenny team announced to play Cork on Sunday:

E Murphy
    C Fogarty
    JJ Delaney
    J Tyrrell
    T Walsh
    B Hogan
    K Joyce
    L Ryan
    M Fennelly
    W Walsh
    E Larkin
    R Hogan
    G Aylward
    C Fennelly
    A Fogarty

Strong team named by Kilkenny.

Subs for Kilkenny:

D Herrity
    P Hogan
    J Tennyson
    P Walsh
    R Power
    M Rice
    M Ruth
    W Phelan
    B Kennedy
    T Breen
    J Brennan

And that's not a bad bench to have either. Cork will have it all to do against that side and with the lads on the bench to come in with 20 minutes to go, you'd have to go with Kilkenny.

You never know with the way this league has gone, Cork could turn up and win the match handy.

More likely though the strong enough Kilkenny team will win by 4/5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

randd1 wrote: »
    The Kilkenny team announced to play Cork on Sunday:

And that's not a bad bench to have either. Cork will have it all to do against that side and with the lads on the bench to come in with 20 minutes to go, you'd have to go with Kilkenny.

You never know with the way this league has gone, Cork could turn up and win the match handy.

More likely though the strong enough Kilkenny team will win by 4/5.

It's a long time since Cork turned up and beat KK....let alone beat them handily:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It's a long time since Cork turned up and beat KK....let alone beat them handily:(

It was more of a statement on the unpredictability of the league to date. I don't think Cork will win handy, but the way this league has panned out, anything is possible.

Fairly unlikely, but possible.

we beat them last year in Cork but they didnt look remotely interested and tommy walsh was missing.
    I agree there is slim hope of cork winning well here.To win will be a huge ask,even to compete will take not only a huge effort but also JBM will have to have a specific game plan for Sunday.
    Winning this game handy seems to be out of the question.
    Trying to play fast off the cuff hurling which is what JBM favours wont work here.
    The half back line of Walsh,Hogan,and Joyce is sum unit.Cork will have to limit this line as best they can as if they dominate Cork are in big trouble.
    Interesting to see Walsh at half forward,it should be some duel with him and Mcloughlin.
    I would be confident Mcloughlin can hold hes own though.Hogan is probably one of the smallest forwards around but he is some man to win high ball.
    A real test for Christopher Joyce.Joyce will relish this, he has it all,he just needs time.
    Sunday will answer how much he actually needs.
    Id feel confident the half back line even without Egan can hold their own,but it will be crucial the half forward line limits the amount of ball that is hurled down on them by winning their own share of ball.Thats my biggest worry for Sunday.If the half forward line struggle Kilkenny will attack in waves and its bound to crack eventually.
    Cian Mccarthy done well here two years and himself and Niall Mac were instrumental in the fightback,as they won a fair share of ball.Cian is now the only ball winning forward, so he is vital to Corks cause on sunday.
    Patrick Horgan now has to stand up and be counted,no more hiding around and just playing when it is sunny and open hurling.If he does not perform against Tyrell he needs to be dropped for the next game.
    He is long enough around now at this stage.I hope to god Cussen or Naughton are not used as subs.If there brought on ,it truly is a sign of the last resort.
    For Cork to win, they need warriors on Sunday something the forementioned are sadly not or never will be.

randd1 wrote: »
    It was more of a statement on the unpredictability of the league to date. I don't think Cork will win handy, but the way this league has panned out, anything is possible.

Fairly unlikely, but possible.
    Youre right the league has been unpredictable but you would feel now that were at the business end of things where it is make or break and no one wants a relegation battle , that the men be separated from the boys.Sunday will tell a lot about teams.

A huge day for Cork,we will know a lot more about this team after today.
    I hope and im sure they will,Kilkenny are really up for this.You will learn about more about this team even if it is a defeat against KK than we would ever learn in the first game against Tippereary.I hope we give a display today,that even if defeated that we can compete with them right up to the final whistle.
    There was an excellent piece on Colm O Neill in todays Tribune.
    He is going for his operation this week.Hopefully all goes well for him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Disaster, can't find anywhere online to watch it :( will have to put up with twitter updates so :(

Ht kk 0-07 v Cork 0-07

Impressive first half by Cork. Saved a pen just before ht. Cork clearly want it more. Horgan is so off form it's not true - I'd drag him early in second half. Everyone else putting in a good shift.
    Should be a good second half.

Ht kk 0-07 v Cork 0-07

Impressive first half by Cork. Saved a pen just before ht. Cork clearly want it more. Horgan is so off form it's not true - I'd drag him early in second half. Everyone else putting in a good shift.
    Should be a good second half.

This is a game Cork can win. Kilkenny havent turned up at all.

Disaster, can't find anywhere online to watch it :( will have to put up with twitter updates so :(
    Its on tg4,im not sure if that can be accessed online though.

Amprodude wrote: »
    This is a game Cork can win. Kilkenny havent turned up at all.

I still think kk will win - they haven't turned up .....and it's a draw!

I still think kk will win - they haven't turned up .....and it's a draw!

Yeah It is expected that Kilkenny will win but if Cork can give a good account of themselves it will be worth more than hammering Tipp first day out. Still Cork are still in it and still have a chance if they want it. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its on tg4,im not sure if that can be accessed online though.

I was able to watch live tg4 rugby and gaa before, but for some reason not today :(

I'm surprised that Horgan has had a second poor game in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

as it stands at HT (I think :P)

Tipperary 6pts
    Cork 5pts
    Kilkenny 5pts
    Galway 5pts
    Waterford 5pts
    Clare 4pts

Crazy stuff!

I have always thought Lorchan should be half back.The first half shows why.He has been immense,his sweeping up of ball and he distrubtion from the back has been top class.Thats is by far and away hes best positon.Joyce has been immense,this guy has it all.It is very rare to see a Cork player take the fight to KK but Joyce and he is still young is really putting in some display with big physical hits.He will make mistakes but hes learning and will be a top class CB.
    Half forward line are struggling but their workrate has been immense.
    Horgan should be taken off.I said this all week he fails to stand up when counted.He missed a vital free.
    Paudie should go in to the full forward line where he can do damage.

I was able to watch live tg4 rugby and gaa before, but for some reason not today :(

Horgan is terrible today. Realky should be taken off.

sorry to hear that:-(
    Horgan has been poor in all the league bar the tipp game which i would nt count.Lehane is even stepping up a young player today.Horgan is doing nothing from play.

Horgan has been poor in all the league bar the tipp game which i would nt count.Lehane is even stepping up a young player today.Horgan is doing nothing from play.superb play from moylan and great goal by farell,cork by 2.

Great goal by O'Farrell - he deserves it as he has looked dangerous throughout.

46min..KK -011 v Cok 1-10

Horgan has been poor in all the league bar the tipp game which i would nt count.Lehane is even stepping up a young player today.Horgan is doing nothing from play.superb play from moylan and great goal by farell,cork by 2.

FT kk 0-20 v Cork 2-12

An enjoyable second half. Cork put in a good performance with kk coming back into the game. Cork fought all the way which was nice to see and kept a clean sheet aswell.
    Horgan was poor. Cussen didn't do a whole lot - to be expected really as he is not good enough.

A lot of positives to be fair.

• Advertisement

FT kk 0-20 v Cork 2-12

An enjoyable second half. Cork put in a good performance with kk coming back into the game. Cork fought all the way which was nice to see and kept a clean sheet aswell.
    Horgan was poor. Cussen didn't do a whole lot - to be expected really as he is not good enough.

A lot of positives to be fair.

We could have won it to be fair if players like Horgan were a bit more economical in their shooting. Sickening to lose when scoreline margin was tight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement