Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mtron MOBI SSDs: the alternative review

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CC_

I can see where you are coming from. :)

It's been a price drop from ~380$ to 280$ for the 16Gb SSD and even higher pecentages for the bigger ones in the past weeks, sot it should be similar in every region. If not, it is business time for someone in the US. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My 32gig Mtron Pro, 3.5" job, should be here today. Can't wait. Now looking to get the sheckles together to order another.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Flaccus wrote: »
    My 32gig Mtron Pro, 3.5" job, should be here today. Can't wait. Now looking to get the sheckles together to order another.

Hehe, you took it one step further, mate: Mtron Pro is much better than the Mobi.
    A friend of mine bought a Memoright GT 32Gb for his laptop, and I convinced him to bring it over for a quick review before he starts using it :D

That would be interesting. ;)

2nd Mtron Pro will be here Friday. It was that or get a GX280 but I think the benefits of SSD are worthwhile for everyday use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

2nd Mtron Pro will be here Friday. It was that or get a GX280 but I think the benefits of SSD are worthwhile for everyday use.

don't lie... we all know you're getting a GX280 as soon as that second SSD arrives :D

I'd like to..but a few things are against it.

1. In current games a couple of GT's in sli are easily a match. Look at anands review and 2 gt's are beating it at 1920 and above.

2. It's a hairdryer under load and doesn't wind down when going back to idle according to Toms Hardware.

3. Rumours have surfaced the 4850 is only 25% slower, though don't know at what res, which gives the 4870 a good chance of coming close to GX280 performance for a lot less. My money is on ati. So much so I have sold my 2 gt's ;) Luckily the 650i mobo on my xps 630 can do xfire and sli.

4. GX280 die shrink refresh.

**Update** same disks, but this time on an Areca 1210 RAID controller:
    (delivered on Friday afternoon, just in time :D )

2x Mtron Mobi 32Gb RAID0 στον Areca 1210
    Stripe size=32Kb
    Allocation unit=32Kb

arecaatto3232ur5.jpgarecacrystalmark3232vl4.jpgarecaeverestng3.jpgarecahdtune3232qh8.jpgarecaroadkil13232vz6.jpgarecaroadkil23232he0.jpgarecacrystaldiskmark323ja9.jpgarecahdtach3232aa0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

so has any got their boot partition on one of these, can you notice any performance gain

MooseJam wrote: »
    so has any got their boot partition on one of these, can you notice any performance gain

Performance gain, yes mostly in benchmarks etc.
    But in real world performance you should be grand with 1 or 2 Mobi's in RAID0, even onboard.
    As I said before, the biggest advantage of the Mobi's is the almost non-existent latency (0.1ms) so this is what speeds up your OS and your apps.
    Huge transfer rates from multiple Mobi's in RAID0 can only be noticed when moving large files (or a lot of files) around. Otherwise 1 or 2 Mobi's on the onboard are the sweet spot ;)

If you ask me why I bought it, don't bother. If I think about what I *really* need, I would be using a single core 3700+, with an 8800GT and 1 Mobi :)
    It's just that I am fascinated by new technologies and this one specifically (SSD) I think is worth exploring.

EDIT: and to answer the first part of your question: yes, as soon as I finish testing, my OS will be sitting on this baby :)

• Advertisement

I use 2 Mtron Pro 7000 32gig's cause I really need them :D
    1 for OS/Apps, 1 for Games. I found I had to be economical with storage though..used to 1tb drives...so decreased the swap file, deleted the vista hibernation files, saving 4gigs in total. And moved MyDocuments, Pictures, Music etc.. off to a Data drive. The payoff is worth it though. For OS and Apps everything is almost instant.

the 32 gigs are € 979.00 on komplett, the 64 gig are € 1,185.00 , the 64 are way way better value, I'd never pay 2K on storage I'll happily live with a few seconds delay, I will no doubt be using ssd's in the future but not untill the price comes way down and capacity goes way up.

the 32 gigs are € 979.00 on komplett, the 64 gig are € 1,185.00 , the 64 are way way better value, I'd never pay 2K on storage I'll happily live with a few seconds delay, I will no doubt be using ssd's in the future but not untill the price comes way down and capacity goes way up.

You are looking at the wrong places, mate. 32Gb Mobis for €309 (that's where I got mine), 32Gb Pros for €426 (that's where Flaccus bought his), collection from the city centre: http://www.realta.ie/solutions.html
    :D

hmm I could afford those prices, whats the catch or is there none, are komplett just charging monster rip off prices

hmm I could afford those prices, whats the catch or is there none, are komplett just charging monster rip off prices

Well, there was a price drop a few weeks ago, but even before that when the 32Gb Pro was like €650 in Realta, Komplett was still at €900+, so I don't expect Komplett prices to drop below that.
    They might drop it from €979 to like €650 but I would be surprised, because it's been 3 weeks now and they don't seems to care about the price drop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

I just posted on the komplett forum there to see if they will drop the prices a bit, will let ye know if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've 2 x 64GB Samsung SSD's ...not as fast as the Mtron's, but not too far off it neither:)

dude thats a serious rig, best sig rig I've seen round these parts

It's brilliant allright but wait for my 8 core Xeon / Tri-Sli GTX 280 / 4 x 128 Mtron Pro 7500 rig :D:D

Nforce - what's the story with the Lian Li..easy to fit long PSU's, do you need to take out drive rails/cages to make them fit. And what about gpu cooling ? Dont they give you a 3rd fan you mount on a sidebar and can swivel, and does the bar fit with the gx2's in place. And what are noise levels like with the fan controller. And vibration from the chasis, especially the thick side panels (my last vseries had this problem). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭peterpiper

Hey Chosen, I ordered 2x 32gb 3000's from Realta. You planted a seed when I was buying the Watercooling gear off you. Just waiting on them to come in. Is there any real advantage to going for 3.5" as opposed to 2.5"? Thinking 2.5" might be useful for Lappy down the road..
    Oh, and where did you pick up the Areca from and how much?

• Advertisement

peterpiper wrote: »
    Hey Chosen, I ordered 2x 32gb 3000's from Realta. You planted a seed when I was buying the Watercooling gear off you. Just waiting on them to come in. Is there any real advantage to going for 3.5" as opposed to 2.5"? Thinking 2.5" might be useful for Lappy down the road..
    Oh, and where did you pick up the Areca from and how much?

Wait until you get your hands on them and you will see these seeds become excitement :D
    2.5-3.5 -> same performance, same price. But as you said, 2.5 can slip nicely in a laptop and make it feel like a whole lot of an upgrade. On the other hand, the 3.5 doesn't need any more modding to fit in a desktop, it's all about priorities ;)

I got the Areca from Realta as well, around €230 including shipping and it was totally worth it. It's not on their website, but the Realta guy is very friendly and found exactly what I asked him, cause the only place that brings Areca's (Scan.co.uk) only has the external ones in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

It's brilliant allright but wait for my 8 core Xeon / Tri-Sli GTX 280 / 4 x 128 Mtron Pro 7500 rig :D:D

Nforce - what's the story with the Lian Li..easy to fit long PSU's, do you need to take out drive rails/cages to make them fit. And what about gpu cooling ? Dont they give you a 3rd fan you mount on a sidebar and can swivel, and does the bar fit with the gx2's in place. And what are noise levels like with the fan controller. And vibration from the chasis, especially the thick side panels (my last vseries had this problem). Thanks.

The Lian Li easily takes the Thermaltake PSU. No need to move any HDD cages (you can't move these anyhow as they are fixed in situ). The GX2's run hot ...but i've increased the fan speed (and noise:rolleyes::p) with Rivatuner to keep the temps in check.I also mounted the 3rd fan below my optical drives so that it blows cool air over the cards. Noise levels overall are very acceptable though I prefer more headroom for overclocking so i'm running the fans on max (including the Tuniq Tower). I've not suffered any panel vibration from my case. Overall the system is fantastic....but the 790i is very finicky when it comes to memory. I'd run into some stability problems with all of the ram slots populated with the maximum 8GB of memory so i'll probably be swapping out my DDR3 soon.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Prices have gone up on http://www.realta.ie/solutions.html but now include free registered courier post within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭peterpiper

Got mine up and running. Very Happy! Got them through Realta.ie. Great Service. You'll never go back to Raptors again..!

Anyone tested the new Mitron 3500 SSD? It is much cheaper than the 3000 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭SeanW

Prices have gone up on http://www.realta.ie/solutions.html but now include free registered courier post within the EU.
    They don't quote prices on that page.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SeanW wrote: »
    They don't quote prices on that page.
    Click the "view our online shop" link.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭SeanW

I cannot believe some of those prices - the 64GB version of the MOBI 3535, SLC flash (the good stuff), 3.5 form factor, with presumably Mtrons massive transfer speed, €367 before VAT
    http://www.realta.ie/ssdrive-ssd-shop/26-mtron-mobi-3535-slc-ssd-35-desktop-size.html

Why didn't I see this before jumping into the SSD game? :(
    *runs off to a corner to cry*

Defo going to bookmark that website for when I'm next building a rig.

SeanW wrote: »
    I cannot believe some of those prices - the 64GB version of the MOBI 3535, SLC flash (the good stuff), 3.5 form factor, with presumably Mtrons massive transfer speed, €367 before VAT
    http://www.realta.ie/ssdrive-ssd-shop/26-mtron-mobi-3535-slc-ssd-35-desktop-size.html

Why didn't I see this before jumping into the SSD game? :(
    *runs off to a corner to cry*

Defo going to bookmark that website for when I'm next building a rig.

As a matter of fact there may be significant difference in the performances. Beside the speed of sustained read IOPS matter a lot. That is why I asked if anyone has tested it.

• Advertisement

CC_ wrote: »
    As a matter of fact there may be significant difference in the performances. Beside the speed of sustained read IOPS matter a lot. That is why I asked if anyone has tested it.

Either I have missread the IOPS first time, or it has been changed on the Mitron hompage, but there is no difference there. :rolleyes:

Advertisement