Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'd love to know how in hell these work. PC3-12800 CL7 @1.35V?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Thought i'd throw this in here rather than start a new thread.

I'm kinda half thinking about getting a wireless keyboard and mouse...
    Ideally the keyboard would be backlit and it wouldn't be too expensive.

This would prob be used as a second keyboard and quality is not such a big thing, I'm really just looking for the cheapest. Although some kind of light on the keyboard would be very handy.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4209906/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-vapor-x-1.html

ATI Spahire 5770 1gb vapor x.

Looking to move from my Nvidia GTS 8800.

Looking to get myself a dual monitor setup for lols, so this card looks the biz, and the price looks good.

( was considering a 4890 vapor x1gb)

Any advice from the peeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

TheDoc wrote: »
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4209906/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-vapor-x-1.html

ATI Spahire 5770 1gb vapor x.

Looking to move from my Nvidia GTS 8800.

Looking to get myself a dual monitor setup for lols, so this card looks the biz, and the price looks good.

( was considering a 4890 vapor x1gb)

Any advice from the peeps?

4890 has more brute power,but it runs hotter and uses alot more power.

If your gaming,go with the 4890,if not the 5770 is a better choice

Deano12345 wrote: »
    If your gaming,go with the 4890,if not the 4350 is a better choice

FYP! :P

And its a hard choice... 5770 is quiet and subtle, 4890 brute-force powerful. If you just want to game well get the 5770, but if you want to "push the envelope" regarding quality and AA/AF think about the 4890... and a bigger PSU :P

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    FYP! :P

And its a hard choice... 5770 is quiet and subtle, 4890 brute-force powerful. If you just want to game well get the 5770, but if you want to "push the envelope" regarding quality and AA/AF think about the 4890... and a bigger PSU :P

Yeah I remember we had this convo bout the psu before and I dont want to look at a new one.

I play wow which isnt that demanding, and left4dead the odd time which my 8800gts runs both ok, just in hectic situations things stutter slighty.

I'm assuming the 5770 will give me a nice boost especially in wow ( not an intensive game on graphics) but will make it urn smoother, while running on my psu.

And 120€ for a vaporx 1Gb is pretty nice price :)

Think i might go with that one

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm assuming the 5770 will give me a nice boost especially in wow ( not an intensive game on graphics) but will make it urn smoother, while running on my psu.

Dunno... WoW is a jaw-droppingly badly optimised game, far worse than Crysis could ever aspire to! :eek: If it decides to "take agin" a rig you can have a real nightmare of a time trying to get it to play ball. And yet the same game will play on decent-ish integrated graphics on lower settings with only a bit more juddering. FFS...

As you have an ageing nVidia card odds are they're not bothering to optimise it with new drivers, so a switch to a newer, better ATi card would be a sound move indeed. With a decent CPU it should hopefully force WoW and L4D to stop acting the maggot. And it'll probably need less juice than even the old 8800GTS ;)
    And 120€ for a vaporx 1Gb is pretty nice price :)

Think i might go with that one

Thought it was the HD5750 VaporX for €120-ish? The HD5770 VaporX is €134, still dirt-cheap compared to most HD5770s though! :P

Thought it was the HD5750 VaporX for €120-ish? The HD5770 VaporX is €134, still dirt-cheap compared to most HD5770s though! :P

Is there actually a vapor X cooler on the card?
    It looks just like a regular heatsink + fan to me! :eek:

Dunno... WoW is a jaw-droppingly badly optimised game, far worse than Crysis could ever aspire to! :eek: If it decides to "take agin" a rig you can have a real nightmare of a time trying to get it to play ball. And yet the same game will play on decent-ish integrated graphics on lower settings with only a bit more juddering. FFS...

As you have an ageing nVidia card odds are they're not bothering to optimise it with new drivers, so a switch to a newer, better ATi card would be a sound move indeed. With a decent CPU it should hopefully force WoW and L4D to stop acting the maggot. And it'll probably need less juice than even the old 8800GTS ;)

Sound advice and i think ill act on it, if it will chug less power then the 8800gts, then happy days i say ;)

Effluo wrote: »
    Is there actually a vapor X cooler on the card?
    It looks just like a regular heatsink + fan to me! :eek:

I hope you're not mixing it up with the €129 HD5770s. The €134 card has the same cooler as the HD5750 VaporX. If you zoom in you can clearly see "VaporX" emblazoned across it ;)

l_04176274.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh I can see Vapor X on the card, but i don't recognise it's technology!

It just looks like a normal heatsink + fan, then they just use the brand name "Vapor X"

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Effluo wrote: »
    Oh I can see Vapor X on the card, but i don't recognise it's technology!

It just looks like a normal heatsink + fan, then they just use the brand name "Vapor X"

Vapor-X is essentially a fancy heatsink. It uses phase change as a heat dissipitation mechanism. More info [urk=http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/VaporX/VaporX_index.aspx?cid=2]here.[/url]

I'm an Engineer so when I read all of that, I went "Yeah, that makes sense, but it's probably mostly marketing". Bought one anyway (a 4890 which uses an incredible 90W at idle) and it is the quietest performance GPU I have ever owned. Aside from startup (and it is not even that loud then) I cannot hear a thing, even when gaming. I'll be buying Vapor X cards for the forseeable future.

The only downside I found with it is something I cannot believe they overlooked. The fan design means that less air than you'd think gets pushed out of the case through the PCI-E expansion slot holes. So even though the cooler is great at removing heat from the GPU, it dumps a lot of it into case raising ambient temperatures and hence raising the GPU temperature. I'm making it sound like a bigger issue than it is, but I'm amazed that they would go to so much trouble to design this Vapor X cooler and overlook something as simple as this. Simply changing the design of the plastic housing and fan would dramatically affect this and would not add a lot to production costs.

The problem is that a full shroud tends to bottleneck airflow and unneccessarily shield the heatsink, preventing any additional passive convection from the sides. Its even worse nowadays as the extra DVI port tends to obscure most of the rear vents anyway. On a more recent card like the one pictured a full shroud could hinder more than help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Latest and greatest from Intel with the Core i7 980x

Review: here

Not much out of the ordinary to report, no surprise that it is very powerful and very expensive ;)

Please tell me you've seen models other than the 980X?

Because I've got a sinking feeling... this enterprise-grade Gulftown has a (slightly) crippled memory bus and was re-designated as an i7. So... what if the not-€1000+ i9-labeled enthusiast models only appear on X68? :eek:

Methinks Intel may be preparing to pull a fast one on us again! :(

:eek:
    AMD's roadmaps suggest that next year will see an eight-core CPU based on the Phenom II architecture, but the potential game changer is Fusion. This is AMD's upcoming combination of CPU and graphics processor (codenamed llano), supposedly sampling now, to be released in 2011. Information from AMD suggests that llano's integrated graphics core may perform on par with the discrete Radeon HD 5770. This is very, very powerful for an integrated part and may truly bring 1680x1050 gaming to the masses.

Just. :eek:

Wow +1 :eek:
    High end processor and graphics on the same core will change so much in the world of computing. No need for huge cases to accomodate 1 foot long graphics cards, less compatibility issues without the massive range of CPU/GPU's, same RAM used for graphics and general use...thats just off the top of my head but so much more possibilities. I'd say this has been AMD's long term plan ever since they bought ATI. They've been happy to let Intel rule the CPU market while they have been quietly working on integrated processing. I do vaguely remember reading somewhere though that Intel are working on something similar albeit not with someone like ATI to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

High end processor and graphics on the same core will change so much in the world of computing. No need for huge cases to accomodate 1 foot long graphics cards, less compatibility issues without the massive range of CPU/GPU's, same RAM used for graphics and general use...thats just off the top of my head but so much more possibilities. I'd say this has been AMD's long term plan ever since they bought ATI. They've been happy to let Intel rule the CPU market while they have been quietly working on integrated processing. I do vaguely remember reading somewhere though that Intel are working on something similar albeit not with someone like ATI to back them up.

Don't forget the implications for mobile gaming! :D
    Seriously though, that's pretty incredible. I was thinking of putting together a cheap build soon but I might just wait till next year now :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Quick question on duel-channel memory architecture.

If I have 4 DIMM/RAM slots on my mobo, and it's duel chan memory architecture, and I fill the first 3 slots, because it's duel channel will I get slower performance from the third chip?

KonFusion wrote: »
    Quick question on duel-channel memory architecture.

If I have 4 DIMM/RAM slots on my mobo, and it's duel chan memory architecture, and I fill the first 3 slots, because it's duel channel will I get slower performance from the third chip?

Um this thread is more discussion of new hardware etc. You might be better off starting a new thread in future to ask questions. Anyway if you have say 2x512mb sticks of ram in the dual channel slots and 1x512mb of ram in one of the other slots then the system will just revert back to single channel mode. Basically your ram needs to be an even number(e.g. 2x512,4x512) and they must be in the right slots! It is also recommended that they are matching otherwise they will just run at the speed of the slowest stick or maybe even not at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can think of one major disadvantage....builds just won't look as cool in the future! :(

This is God.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

:eek:

Just. :eek:
    You've probably seen this at this stage but ...
    Engadget wrote:
    ASUS demos Immensity X58 Hydra mainboard with integrated ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/05/asus-demos-immensity-x58-hydra-mainboard-with-integrated-ati-rad/

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Intel Core i7 980x is about to be retired by the i7 990 - end of quarter 3 2010 according to techreport.

Cheaper six cores on the way from intel this year as well,

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Thought this article might be of interest to anyone putting together a gaming PC:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/athlon-ii-x3-440-gaming-performance,review-31906.html :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,480 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wtf is this sh*t?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.448447

combo448447.jpg

edit: Oh its a Mini-ITX case... but what the frick.

FREAKY IMAGES

lianli03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the spider case is gonna look a lot less badass with cables connected to it, and i wouldnt put it anywhere but on a dust free lab's tabletop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Lian Li and some college students got together and modded one of those 'Spider' cases to walk. I seen a vid of it, its quite epic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,480 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the spider case is gonna look a lot less badass with cables connected to it, and i wouldnt put it anywhere but on a dust free lab's tabletop.
    in fairness it wouldnt really collect that much dust. a little bit, like everything else, but not a lot. And very easy to dust off either way. I'd just be worried about people touching it - they'd either hurt themselves or It.

Advertisement