Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Going again on Sunday. I called last Sunday wrong but I think Mayo will win this by four points at least.
    I think mayo have it in midfield by a good margin they have the best group of midfielders left (well in the country) SOS is top class not sure about B Moran but Gibbons looks good to me. I think they have the options to mark JOD.
    I don't think Kerry have a great bench and their other forwards look off the pace IMHO. AOS in the more attacking role , I think he'll be too hot for Kerry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

here's my whacky theory. If Dublin beat Donegal I'd see Mayo having beaten the Dubs in 2012 and only losing to by 1 point last year they would not fear the Dubs.
    In this out there theory Kerry lost narrowly in 2011 and by 7 points last year with Cooper . I honestly don't think they'd want the Dubs in the final without Cooper and the Dubs going better than last year.
    I think Mayo will have more drive and fire to win. Some Kerry lads might be worried about falling short to the Dubs three times in four years. I expect to be ridiculed for saying this, but I think that might be at the back of some of the younger Kerry players minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Stoner wrote: »
    Going again on Sunday. I called last Sunday wrong but I think Mayo will win this by four points at least.
    I think mayo have it in midfield by a good margin they have the best group of midfielders left (well in the country) SOS is top class not sure about B Moran but Gibbons looks good to me. I think they have the options to mark JOD.
    I don't think Kerry have a great bench and their other forwards look off the pace IMHO. AOS in the more attacking role , I think he'll be too hot for Kerry.

Talking through your hat right there anyway. Geaney, O'Brien, Buckley, Walsh, Keane have all been good or better so far.
    The bench got 0-5 against Galway and David Moran dominated midfield off the bench. Not the impact Dublin has certainly, but it's a lot better than you seem to realise.
    Obviously it's a guarantee they'll fall flat on Sunday now that I've said that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Talking through your hat right there anyway. Geaney, O'Brien, Buckley, Walsh, Keane have all been good or better so far.
    The bench got 0-5 against Galway and David Moran dominated midfield off the bench. Not the impact Dublin has certainly, but it's a lot better than you seem to realise.
    Obviously it's a guarantee they'll fall flat on Sunday now that I've said that!

Barry John Keane kicked 3 of them if I recall without a Galway man getting a hand near him, never mind on him. They will not be getting as much space on Sunday.

This thread is eerily quiet given that we have a semi final coming up in a few days... I think there are a number of very wary and nervous Mayo fans about, probably with good reason. Yet if we were to suggest that, despite this, we'd be confident of a narrow margin win, we'd be accused of being arrogant. Can't win really! :o

For what it's worth, I'm extremely nervous, probably moreso than I've been in a while. In saying that, when I think about it logically and go through the players, the systems, etc, then I don't understand why. Mayo have the stronger team in my opinion and have been getting primed for Sunday and potentially 3 weeks time (all going well).

But I can't shake off this nervous feeling... Ah well, that's what the championship is all about! I think Mayo will perform fairly well on Sunday, but I also think Kerry will be a lot better than some expect them to be, in more areas than left corner forward!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Padkir wrote: »
    This thread is eerily quiet given that we have a semi final coming up in a few days... I think there are a number of very wary and nervous Mayo fans about, probably with good reason. Yet if we were to suggest that, despite this, we'd be confident of a narrow margin win, we'd be accused of being arrogant. Can't win really! :o

It's quiet because there is a Mayo vs Kerry thread that Fr.Tod started :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah I'm a tad nervous...mainly because of the many battle scars from past encounters with Kerry.Just have to think back to that glorious 96 semi final in the then new upper Cusack and James Horan's goal...one of my few good memories.

Logic makes me quietly confident,I think we've a slight edge in midfield/middle 8 and I think we'll have to have 60% ball possession to win the game,anything less and the Kerry inside forwards may swing it.

Lads no talk at all about the minors :(......did'nt see them against Galway,led to believe they were been led a merry dance until Michael Daly...Val's son was sent off.

They were impressive against a much praised Roscommon outfit and excellent against a physical Armagh team.Yet they appear to be rank outsiders against a much vaunted Kerry team???!!Hope everybody gets in early to shout the young lads on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=222784

Thanks Larry....Just what the Doctor ordered!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Kalyke wrote: »

Unbelievable, and all the pints that were drank by Mayo fans in his pub last year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Obvious "slag them and hope they beat those other f*ckers to prove me wrong" tactic by Larry! I wouldn't be taking much notice of it. Great player that he was, he was fairly poor on the sidelines when he got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Such opinion pieces are the norm when Mayo play big games.
    It are easy column fillers.
    Its not as of Larry was the first to bring such a option up.

And as long as Mayo continue to fail to win finals, or lose big semi finals then he won't be the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

What's going on . Absolutely no hype at all. Nothing. You'd swear it was the league semifinal in April.
    Been travelling around and noting comments from our neighbouring counties about none of the arrogant hype that is usual around this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Just out cute hooring the cute hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Is the team named yet?
    Will the team named start

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What's going on . Absolutely no hype at all. Nothing. You'd swear it was the league semifinal in April.
    Been travelling around and noting comments from our neighbouring counties about none of the arrogant hype that is usual around this time of year.

Its probably the last 3 years have taken its toll on the fans to be honest, we have been here so many times before that its novelty has worn off, not in an arrogant way, but its the possible precedent to the next game and the result which we have been so used to having and this year with the way Dublin have been playing and winning its a forgone conclusion to some.

IF we win on Sunday I will be heading into my 17th AI final with Mayo at all levels, I have seen 3 wins.

Its this year or bust for a few players and the management I suspect and I would think that outside of us hardcode fans, we will see a lot of Mayo fans jerseys been hung-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

naughto wrote: »
    Is the team named yet?
    Will the team named start

No and yes. Gibbons into midfield & Freeman to start instead of Andy IMO

We'll know at 12.30 for definite

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

No and yes. Gibbons into midfield & Freeman to start instead of Andy IMO

We'll know at 12.30 for definite

I heard this also from same person who called the DonieVaughan change for the last game .
    Gibbons and Freeman would be a big improvement . Andy off the bench last 20 or so then.
    speaking of the bench Kerry's looks very very strong

km79 wrote: »
    I heard this also from same person who called the DonieVaughan change for the last game .
    Gibbons and Freeman would be a big improvement . Andy off the bench last 20 or so then.
    speaking of the bench Kerry's looks very very strong

Who will be captain with Moran not starting

Who will be captain with Moran not starting

lee Keegan

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Team:
    Hennelly,
    Barrett, Caff, Higgins,
    Keegan, Cunniffe, Boyle,
    Vaughan, S.O'Shea,
    McLoughlin, A.O'Shea, Doherty,
    O'Connor, Moran, Dillon

Didn't expect any changes tbh

Hon Mayo

• Advertisement

Don't think that team will start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

yop wrote: »
    Its probably the last 3 years have taken its toll on the fans to be honest, we have been here so many times before that its novelty has worn off, not in an arrogant way, but its the possible precedent to the next game and the result which we have been so used to having and this year with the way Dublin have been playing and winning its a forgone conclusion to some.

IF we win on Sunday I will be heading into my 17th AI final with Mayo at all levels, I have seen 3 wins.

Its this year or bust for a few players and the management I suspect and I would think that outside of us hardcode fans, we will see a lot of Mayo fans jerseys been hung-up.

Agree with ya Yop, though sometimes I feel like hanging up me jersey sometimes (after a final loss) though it always comes out again on the 2nd of January!! Only time I think it'll be hung up is on the end of me coffin! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Dummy team I would think based on the rumors going round. I would think we will line up like:

Hennelly,
    Cunniffe, Caff, Higgins,
    Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle,
    Gibbons, S.O'Shea,
    O'Connor, Freeman, Dillon

mercuroman wrote: »
    Team:
    Hennelly,
    Barrett, Caff, Higgins,
    Keegan, Cunniffe, Boyle,
    Vaughan, S.O'Shea,
    O'Connor, Moran, Dillon

Will be dissapointed if this is the team that starts

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Didn't expect any changes tbh

Hon Mayo

Why not Moran was s1hite
    Let me rephrase that he should get 20 mins at the end,as he's not the player he was

Why not Moran was s1hite
    Let me rephrase that he should get 20 mins at the end,as he's not the player he was

I said I didn't expect any changes, not that I wouldn't have made changes myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

KMFCross wrote: »
    Dummy team I would think based on the rumors going round. I would think we will line up like:

Hennelly,
    Cunniffe, Caff, Higgins,
    Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle,
    Gibbons, S.O'Shea,
    O'Connor, Freeman, Dillon

Like this . Cunniffe on donaghue.
    One other change would be if freeman is not winning ball roils be Barry a ff.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Team announced. No changes from the cork game

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Team announced. No changes from the cork game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Why not Moran was s1hite
    Already proven with actual stats by poster here that Andy Moran was the biggest contributor to Mayos purple patch at start of the second half. Two assists, won a scored free in a good position and scored himself where he had to get space on his left foot to shoot with a neat turn. Also won 7/9 50:50 balls passed his way in a defence playing blanket and had a 92% pass completion from his posessions while against a blanket defence where passing options are hard to find from full forward. Slipped to ground three times in the game one of which was a free that he was given. So what your actually talking about is that when a player has that level of contribution that two slips to the ground n slowing down play is playing badly. It was a blanket defence shooting options are not easily available and neither are passing options. This has been proven at this stage, he made a big contribution to our win. His substitution almost cost us the game in fact. People have a bias about his performances of 'Andy Moran too slow now' due to his injuries. So when he slips twice ineffectively (no free) people remember those events as proof he is playing poor. A 50:50 ball won, retained and passed on successfully at full forward against a blanket is outstanding play. Unfortunately for Andy Moran people don't look very deep into contribution beyond scores that player scored. Btw not my stats a previous poster looked back at the game n noted all those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement