Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20kw Stratford EcoBoiler Stove

Options
  • 17-12-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I've just had a stratford EB20 installed.

The room heat is very poor, loads of heat going to radiators. Any tips to increase the room heat, i.e lower/higher temperature on pipe stat, fuel type etc?

Another problem I have is the upstairs radiators are getting most of the heat with the downstairs radiators only getting luke warm. If I shut off the return valve from upstairs then the downstairs heats up fine but obviously no heat upstairs. Plumber says heat/water is taking easiest route. Any ideas on how to get heat/water distributing evenly?

Thanks for any advise.

eb20-he-600x.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do you have oil fired boiler as well and if you do how well do the rads heat with this on???
    What speed setting is the circulation pump set to for the stove
    ???
    Where did the plumber run the pipes for the downstairs rads??

What fuel are you burning??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

I have oil fired boiler but no oil since last year, there was never a problem when running from oil.

I have the pump set to max (3)

I'm mainly burning coal with some hardwood blocks thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

IsaBrown wrote: »
    I have oil fired boiler but no oil since last year, there was never a problem when running from oil.

I have the pump set to max (3)

I'm mainly burning coal with some hardwood blocks thrown in.
    Fort thing I'd try is turning down the upstairs rads to balance it out a bit and see what happens .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

How did you find this stove over the winter? How big is the room it is in?

IsaBrown wrote: »
    I've just had a stratford EB20 installed.

The room heat is very poor, loads of heat going to radiators. Any tips to increase the room heat, i.e lower/higher temperature on pipe stat, fuel type etc?

Another problem I have is the upstairs radiators are getting most of the heat with the downstairs radiators only getting luke warm. If I shut off the return valve from upstairs then the downstairs heats up fine but obviously no heat upstairs. Plumber says heat/water is taking easiest route. Any ideas on how to get heat/water distributing evenly?

Thanks for any advise.

eb20-he-600x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Stratford Stoves EB 16 or EB20 HE ( Freestanding)

Does anyone know anything about the Stratford Stoves? Have spent the last three days trying to get a retailer who stocks these stoves.or has both models on display. One retailer has one of the models on display but not for sale . I am wondering why its so difficult to stock them.
    From looking at the English website they are signifcantly more expensive than other models . I have read the specs on both and I am impressed with the size of the stoves compared with other models that give the same output.
    Would welcome any information.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

The Stratford is the Rolls Royce of stoves, have you tried Gordon's in kilkerrin co Galway
    They won't be betten on price
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

ccsolar wrote: »
    The Stratford is the Rolls Royce of stoves, have you tried Gordon's in kilkerrin co Galway
    They won't be betten on price
    Cc

We bought ours from Alan Gordon too - great to deal with and at least €100 cheaper than competitors.

I think they are a great stove, so efficient at heating the water. At the minute I am burning rubbish quality turf in it (last years junk, that sat on the bog over winter and only arrived in our shed this may !!) and it has the rads hot after no length.

They also stock them in Hursts in Castlebar as far as I can remember and Western Stoves in Cloonfad

I have been looking at the 20kw stove to, i have seen it advertised for €2,100. How many radiators do you heat from it? Is the room it is situated in large? Does it throw out much heat to the room it is located in? Is it overly warm?

Would anyone who owns a stratford e20 care to comment on it. Giving feed back like heat to stove room and number of rads operated of it?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tkblue

restive wrote: »
    I have been looking at the 20kw stove to, i have seen it advertised for €2,100. How many radiators do you heat from it? Is the room it is situated in large? Does it throw out much heat to the room it is located in? Is it overly warm?

I recently renovated my house knocking walls downstairs etc which left me with a large living/kitchen/dining area and after a lot of reserch to find the right stove to heat this area plus heat the rest of the radiators throughout the house i decided to go with the stratford eb 20. so far i'm delighted with the results. i installed a upstairs/downstairs auto valve and also three new solo radiators in the larger areas of my house and the results have exceeded all my expectations. i burn smokeless coal which is abit dearer than turf or timber but the results are better in my opinion, if you want constant heat in your rads you have to feed it i find a bucket of coal lasts 2.5/3hrs and thats with the termostat set at a high rate of burning. The one negative i would have is it says it heats up to 18 single rads i would think thats pushing it a bit far

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.
    My kitchen dining is 35 square meters. Is yours larger. Does it get uncomfortably warm or is it ok? How many rads do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tkblue

restive wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    My kitchen dining is 35 square meters. Is yours larger. Does it get uncomfortably warm or is it ok? How many rads do you have?

My kitchen\living\dining area is 65 square yrds approx. in winter time i will have the stove plus the rads on in this area depending how cold it is outdoors, rads can always be turned off. i have 18 rads in total three of which are solo rads which only use abouy 1 lt of water to heat which makes them far more efficient than your standard rad. i only turn the heat on upstairs for about 1 hr each day usually at 8 o clock in the eveing. the one thing i would advise you to get is a good plumber who has your best interests at heart, this is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭raglan

Hi,
    We installed a EB16 last year in our 2 storey house, pleased with heat to rads upstairs and hot water.

We are trying to get it so that we can also have some downstairs rads warmed by the stove too. How is this done?

So far we have had a boost switch fitted, then relay fitted......still no joy.

This was down by electrician. Want to make use of this stove, as last year during the real cold spell we tried different coals out as we were a bit disappointed with heat to the actual room that stove is in but if we could get some rads downstairs warm it would be better. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

old thread but questions on same model..
    How are folks finding this stove? This currently the top of the list of ones we are considering.
    I do have some questions on its Kw rating...It says the 20Kw is for the water and then there is 3-10kw for the room. So is it 23Kw or is it 20Kw between the two?
    http://www.aradastoves.com/boiler-stoves/ecoboiler/eb20he

Advertisement