Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working in Google

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Google r cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

scudzilla wrote: »
    Have you ever seen Google go offline cos it's 1am??

You the main man for search then? Hats off to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You the main man for search then? Hats off to you sir.

No, my job isn't really that exciting, having to find peoples search requests in under a second

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nah, we got machines for that, they don't complain

I'll only complain behind your back, I promise.

And I'll dole out worldly advice.

And I'll be sassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

And I'll be sassy.

But your needy ex boyfriend works there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

And I'll be sassy.

And what wolrdly advice could you possibly give...........and how sassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

It's the best-of-the-best IT people who get jobs there. But I'm talking IT people, not clerical staff, which most of the workers in Dublin are. It's like a cult for some of the Irish staff when all they do is approve Adsense sites and sales reps for Adwords.

Same for Facebook people in Dublin, most of them spend all day rejecting dodgy dating ads yet think they're in the Social Network film.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Ever go to a party where it's mostly Facebook or Google staff?!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

And what wolrdly advice could you possibly give...........and how sassy?

No free samples of my worldly advice.

And very sassy. I'll judge you all the time, and I won't give you cream in ur coffee if I think you need to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Ever go to a party where it's mostly Facebook or Google staff?!

My idea of hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was offered a job with Google last year, I turned it down.

It was all a bit too fake and happy, or something, I dunno.

The way they sell it, the job and perks are SO good, you should LOVE the fact that the job is your life.

The way I'd see it, your job should be separate to the rest of your life. I'd rather a good life-work balance, than a situation where my job was my life - no matter how good and fun and awesome the job was!

Different strokes etc. :) It does seem a fun place to work alright - but, not for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I worked for them before, great perks. Came home once and found an extra story on my house and a new Taunus in the drive.

They only let the most beautiful people work there so when you get slightly old and wrinkly you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

It sounds like a good place to learn, but am not sure I would want to sit on a space hopper while some dungaree wearing ponce on a lo-lo ball tells a shoeless audience how we can further monetize the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

token101 wrote: »
    They're talking about bringing in a swimming pool. The only reason my employer would ever need a pool would be to waterboard people who were late payers.

You don't have to work in Google to have a pool in work.

I work in a bank and we have a pool, gym (largest private gym in Europe), spa, squash courts, shops, dry cleaners all in the one building

Google is overrated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Wouldn't want to work for them. All the perks in the world wouldn't make up for being expected to work long hours in an office. It's not for me.

Speaking of perks-an ex of mine worked in a brewery a few years ago (just as a regular worker loading and working the forklifts) and some of the perks he had were-

Free full gym
    Free meals
    A sauna that he could use after work (while having a few beers if he wanted)

and he got to bring home lots of free beer. Good times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ever go to a party where it's mostly Facebook or Google staff?!

I know plenty of people who've ended up working for Google. Once they're over the nauseating honeymoon period (about six months or so) they're usually grand.

But during that time - insufferable pricks of the highest order.

padd b1975 wrote: »

And if you were smart enough to work for google you would have 3 days per week to do your own stuff, one paid.

I have 7 days a week to do my own stuff and I get paid for it-I'm self-employed. Does that make me smarter than Google staff? :)

The perks are better than Google too-I get to work from home, can start and finish when I like, I can sit outside in the fresh air and sun working if I want, I can take a sickie if I feel like it, and I don't have to put up with bosses telling me what to do or annoying co-workers.
    Oh and I just have to go to the fridge for ice-cream :p though I have to pay for my own meals and ice cream of course...

Greentopia wrote: »

I have 7 days a week to do my own stuff and I get paid for it-I'm self-employed. Does that make me smarter than Google staff? :)

The perks are better than Google too-I get to work from home, can start and finish when I like, I can sit outside in the fresh air and sun working if I want, I can take a sickie if I feel like it, and I don't have to put up with bosses telling me what to do or annoying co-workers.
    Oh and I just have to go to the fridge for ice-cream :p though I have to pay for my own meals and ice cream of course...

I've been unemployed too, mate. Chin up.

I've been unemployed too, mate. Chin up.

Eh, no I really am self-employed ;)

Greentopia wrote: »
    Eh, no I really am self-employed ;)

So I am, bit trying to get out, I don't recognise the do what I want all the time thing. I do what clients want, sometimes from home, sometimes from their place.

So I am, bit trying to get out, I don't recognise the do what I want all the time thing. I do what clients want, sometimes from home, sometimes from their place.

Well when I say do what I want I mean do the designs and kind of work I want to do. I have control over my working environment and it's a creative field, that's what I love. Yes I have to tailor what I do according to what customers want of course but that usually coincides with the designs I like anyway. For me it's a hobby I've just turned into a living.

Sorry things aren't working out too well for you :(

• Advertisement

It's the best-of-the-best IT people who get jobs there.

Yeah.
    But I'm talking IT people, not clerical staff, which most of the workers in Dublin are.

Lies.
    It's like a cult for some of the Irish staff when all they do is approve Adsense sites and sales reps for Adwords.

You just sound like you applied and got turned away to be honest.

Every company has different roles and one thing is for sure, if you're lucky enough to work for a company like Google, you've been through the absolute wringer to get in there and would have had to do some pretty cool things/got some nice achievements up their sleeves to get in. Just read any article online about the hiring process and you'll see that.
    Same for Facebook people in Dublin, most of them spend all day rejecting dodgy dating ads yet think they're in the Social Network film.

Complete tosh. Again, various levels and roles within the company...everyone has to start somewhere and if you're 21, straight out of college getting handsomely paid to work for one of the biggest companies in the world, you'll be happy with it for a while.
    Anyone know what I'm talking about? Ever go to a party where it's mostly Facebook or Google staff?!

I have actually. You're typically exposed to the 21-25 year old employees working there who would more than likely be in a junior role, are no doubt highly intelligent and they're hanging out and drinking and having fun...yeah, ridiculous isn't it...

Oh no wait, you're just wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yeah.

Lies.

You just sound like you applied and got turned away to be honest.

Every company has different roles and one thing is for sure, if you're lucky enough to work for a company like Google, you've been through the absolute wringer to get in there and would have had to do some pretty cool things/got some nice achievements up their sleeves to get in. Just read any article online about the hiring process and you'll see that.

Complete tosh. Again, various levels and roles within the company...everyone has to start somewhere and if you're 21, straight out of college getting handsomely paid to work for one of the biggest companies in the world, you'll be happy with it for a while.

I have actually. You're typically exposed to the 21-25 year old employees working there who would more than likely be in a junior role, are no doubt highly intelligent and they're hanging out and drinking and having fun...yeah, ridiculous isn't it...

Oh no wait, you're just wrong...

Did you just get a job doing PR for Google or something? Why did you bump this thread?

lazygal wrote: »
    Did you just get a job doing PR for Google or something? Why did you bump this thread?

Because I can.

LOL, no.

I've just worked closely with them as a company in the past and this caught my attention so I felt like sharing it from someone who's actually dealt with them as a company. I felt my knowledge would help balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Because I can.

LOL, no.

I've just worked closely with them as a company in the past and this caught my attention so I felt like sharing it from someone who's actually dealt with them as a company. I felt my knowledge would help balance it out.

I know a few people who worked there. It seems like a pretty cultish place to me. I wouldn't be up for having my breakfast, lunch, dinner, gym and social life revolve around my workplace and colleagues. The pay wasn't that amazing either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It's ranked as the number 1 company to work for in the world so, yea, I'd say it's pretty decent.

lazygal wrote: »
    I know a few people who worked there. It seems like a pretty cultish place to me. I wouldn't be up for having my breakfast, lunch, dinner, gym and social life revolve around my workplace and colleagues. The pay wasn't that amazing either.

What you've described above is a choice people who work there make.

The reason people think it's cultish is because a lot of the best foreign talent are drafted over into roles and they don't know anyone else here so they tend to stick together i.e. all the foreign guys hang out and party together.

The work/life balance aspect is also really important. The reason it's a big deal and people talk about it a lot is because in Google you tend to have a lot of really passionate people who love the work they do and really believe in it so if they want to stay until 8pm or 9pm on a Tuesday eating Ice Cream doing something they believe in, why should anyone stop them or slag them for that?

It's simply ambition and passion coming together. Again, not everyone does this, it's like everything in life, you've a choice what way you want to do things.

Edit: Someone also said earlier in this thread about how it's amazing Google get people to believe in the brand i.e. brainwash them into doing so. That's crap. People believe in the brand because the brand is out there doing incredibly innovative, genuine "WOW" things that involves technology so yeah, everyone who works for Google loves technology and it's a fairly standard set of complimentary values.

Advertisement