Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Just said Id post to see if anyone can give me some advice? I'm at my wits end.

I was awarded the 100% adjacent rate, my brother was awarded the Special, Non-adjacent rate. We live in the same house, our circumstances are totally the same even go to the same college.

Google maps give you two different measurements from my house to the college. If you put in my house-college, you get over 45km the other way around you get 45.0km on the dot. For some reason they are sticking to the 45km measurement and didn't for my brother. It's totally unfair, I keep going around in circles with SUSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Lamina wrote: »
    Just said Id post to see if anyone can give me some advice? I'm at my wits end.

I was awarded the 100% adjacent rate, my brother was awarded the Special, Non-adjacent rate. We live in the same house, our circumstances are totally the same even go to the same college.

Google maps give you two different measurements from my house to the college. If you put in my house-college, you get over 45km the other way around you get 45.0km on the dot. For some reason they are sticking to the 45km measurement and didn't for my brother. It's totally unfair, I keep going around in circles with SUSI.

Thats ridiculous. I would definitely appeal/make formal complaint/contact local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

kaki wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous. I would definitely appeal/make formal complaint/contact local TD.

Ya it's currently in appeal I had to send them screenshots of Google maps. Rang them after two weeks, girl on the phone said I should be expecting a letter for more documentation to be assessed. No letter arrived. Rang again, was told there was no record of an appeal. Supposedly the appeal is in now but I don't know about that. It's actually causing me way more stress than college itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

Got awarded on the 25th November. Why the hell don't they back date the payments when it is awarded instead of waiting until the next payment?!? When is the next payment anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Got awarded on the 2nd of December, no letter received yet though.
    When is the next payment date ? And dya reckon Ill get paid then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Seems like our friends at SUSI have woken up (finally) - great to here of people getting awarded at long last.

I'm not sure when next payment is - I think either December 12th or December 19th according to this: http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Payments-(1)/Higher-Education-Maintenance-Grants-Payment-Schedu.aspx

Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

People who got awarded between November 21st and 11th December will get a payment on December 12th. This is for the previous months payments which have been missed.
    The normal monthly payment will be given on December 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Got awarded on the 25th November. Why the hell don't they back date the payments when it is awarded instead of waiting until the next payment?!? When is the next payment anyway?

Maybe it's a banking system issue or even costs.
    From an administration perspective, it would be a nightmare to try and make daily payments based on the award date for every person that got awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kombatphase

Lamina wrote: »
    Ya it's currently in appeal I had to send them screenshots of Google maps. Rang them after two weeks, girl on the phone said I should be expecting a letter for more documentation to be assessed. No letter arrived. Rang again, was told there was no record of an appeal. Supposedly the appeal is in now but I don't know about that. It's actually causing me way more stress than college itself.
    I went to a local TD who contacted them about my financial situation but that was turned down but I was told I could do an internal review but that was turned down on the same 45km premise. They base it completely on the "shortest route" distance on Google Maps. I personally find completely unfair on how someone 1km up the road gets awarded a far greater grant than myself and I'm left to struggle. It's a total joke and it needs to be completely revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

Hey all, I got a letter requesting documentation this morning from SUSI. One of the required documents is a photocopy of my enrollment letter. However, as I am a second year college student I didn't actually get any physical enrollment letter this year (although I did in my first year, but I don't think I have that anymore).

Would a screenshot from my student admin listing what course I'm enrolled in work as proof of enrollment?

• Advertisement

teacakes wrote: »
    Hey all, I got a letter requesting documentation this morning from SUSI. One of the required documents is a photocopy of my enrollment letter. However, as I am a second year college student I didn't actually get any physical enrollment letter this year (although I did in my first year, but I don't think I have that anymore).

Would a screenshot from my student admin listing what course I'm enrolled in work as proof of enrollment?

Just a letter from the college would suffice to say you are progressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

When they say you'll hear something in 10 days time I wonder how many multiples of those 10 days they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Multiply that by about 4or 5 and maybe then susi will contact you but wouldn't hold my breath :(

Amount of times in the past they told me that about 20 days and a few months later still said the same :(

Put in a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

Anyone been successful on appealing their grant decision?
    Only got awarded 50% grant this year, got 100% grant the last 2 years. Strange that I got only 50% this year despite my circumstances at home being the same. I appealed 2 weeks ago and havent heard anything yet apart from an email saying that i have been set up for internal review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Says awarded on the tracker now so happy days. Hope ye all get sorted ASAP.

I went to a local TD who contacted them about my financial situation but that was turned down but I was told I could do an internal review but that was turned down on the same 45km premise. They base it completely on the "shortest route" distance on Google Maps. I personally find completely unfair on how someone 1km up the road gets awarded a far greater grant than myself and I'm left to struggle. It's a total joke and it needs to be completely revised.

I believe where the distance is close to the 45 km on Google maps (shortest route with no tolls) and average of Google maps and AA route planner is then used using the shortest route on both.
    No tolls are part of the route selection as not to incur an extra charge on the student, even though that particular route maybe a quicker travel time as tolls are usually on better roads (motorways).

I also think 45 km is the distance used, as this would be above the maximum travel distance for a student living in Dublin and travelling to any college with the Dublin area. It would be unfair for a student living in Dublin with having access to a massive public transport infrastructure, be giving a non-adjacent rate if the rule was less than 45 km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

After 6 1/2 months I have been awarded. Will I be payed on the 12th or the 19th

After 6 1/2 months I have been awarded. Will I be payed on the 12th or the 19th

More than likely the 19th.

To make sure payments are made on time, SUSI would more than likely process the payments a couple of days in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Still waiting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

shano_88 wrote: »
    Still waiting :(

Call them, my dad wouldn't hang up and your said he'll flag it and try and get it moved up as I have been waiting since may. I was awarded today and he called last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Call them, my dad wouldn't hang up and your said he'll flag it and try and get it moved up as I have been waiting since may. I was awarded today and he called last week

Im in the middle of doing exams at the moment. Im finished Monday. Ill give it a go then if I dont hear anything before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I'm still battling with susi, 5 months since I first applied.
    All requested documents received and app. moved on to final assessment stage.
    Then this week, out of the blue they tell me I didn't give them all the documents they need and my application has been refused.
    Firstly, they never asked for the documents.
    Secondly they didn't give me time to get the docs.
    Thirdly, the documents are not even relevant to their own criteria. (as I have already supplied everything they need and asked for.)

I now have a solicitor who is a family friend helping me out with an appeal, for a grant that should have been awarded in the first place!
    I am a nervous wreck with anxiety and stress, struggling to cope with college work because of it and seeing the college counsellor every week or two.
    It seems as if approval/refusal is entirely based on luck and nothing to do with a valid claim.
    Sorry for ranting but I am absolutely appalled at the injustice in this system.
    And when my solicitor pointed out the baseless nature in which my application turned down, and all of the evidence showing I'm entitled to a grant, SUSI replied with a 'no' and didn't even justify their answer.
    The battle continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

My brother and I both got awarded in the past 2 weeks. I got the full amount while he got 25%. I thought we both should be getting the same based on the family income. Should he appeal it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm battling with this shower of useless cretins.

They pay the grant monthly? Is this correct? I ask as I have been receiving weekly payments of €30 odd from them for the last 3 weeks. I've rang them to ask what these payments are and they say they have to escalate that to some other department to find out.

I still have no idea and I am wondering if anybody else has seen anything like this?

lertsnim wrote: »

They pay the grant monthly? Is this correct? I ask as I have been receiving weekly payments of €30 odd from them for the last 3 weeks. I've rang them to ask what these payments are and they say they have to escalate that to some other department to find out.

I still have no idea and I am wondering if anybody else has seen anything like this?

Your battling because you got paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm still battling with susi, 5 months since I first applied.
    All requested documents received and app. moved on to final assessment stage.
    Then this week, out of the blue they tell me I didn't give them all the documents they need and my application has been refused.
    Firstly, they never asked for the documents.
    Secondly they didn't give me time to get the docs.
    Thirdly, the documents are not even relevant to their own criteria. (as I have already supplied everything they need and asked for.)

I now have a solicitor who is a family friend helping me out with an appeal, for a grant that should have been awarded in the first place!
    I am a nervous wreck with anxiety and stress, struggling to cope with college work because of it and seeing the college counsellor every week or two.
    It seems as if approval/refusal is entirely based on luck and nothing to do with a valid claim.
    Sorry for ranting but I am absolutely appalled at the injustice in this system.
    And when my solicitor pointed out the baseless nature in which my application turned down, and all of the evidence showing I'm entitled to a grant, SUSI replied with a 'no' and didn't even justify their answer.
    The battle continues....

Maybe goto the ombudsman

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

My brother and I both got awarded in the past 2 weeks. I got the full amount while he got 25%. I thought we both should be getting the same based on the family income. Should he appeal it?

Well if he is earning a lot in part time wages that could make a difference

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

lertsnim wrote: »

Were you informed what grant you were awarded?

Terry Pratchet

Were you informed what grant you were awarded?

They told me nothing except I have been awarded the full award rate and I will be receiving a breakdown of this in the post. I have been waiting almost three weeks since they first mentioned this letter. I've not even had the previous months back dated.

• Advertisement

Sup08 wrote: »
    Your battling because you got paid?

I want a full breakdown on what that weekly payment is and the previous months back dated. That's why I'm battling with them

Advertisement