Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic questions on heating and hot water

• 23-05-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a house, and am really confused about heating and hot water systems – what to look out for/questions to ask the estate agent.
    I hear about tanks, pumps, boilers, cylinders etc, but don’t understand how they all work.

Sorry for the dummy questions, but in a standard house does it work like this :
    • Gas boiler, located against an external wall somewhere
    • The boiler heats both the radiators and the water. Is this a “combi-boiler”? Are there some boilers that only heat radiators?
    • If your boiler heats the hot water, would you ever use the immersion (in the hot press) to heat your water? I guess the boiler is heating the hot water which is in the tank in the hotpress?
    • Radiators :
    o How can you tell if they need to be replaced? I know there are newer ones (TRV) with numbered controls (0-5). But if they are not TRV, how can I tell if they are in good enough condition?
    • Shower :
    o Where I live now (apartment), I have constant hot water – I never turn on an immersion etc. What would I need to have constant hot water in a house too – e.g. a boiler on a timer? Or set a boiler temperature, and the water stays at this heat?
    o If a house has an electric shower, is this not using water which was heated by the gas boiler? i.e. its using cold water from the tank in the attic?
    o If I’d like to have a really strong pressure power shower, can a pump be set up in conjunction with the gas boiler?

Sorry for how basic the questions are! Any insights are much appreciated.

Advertisement