Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for house with monitoring service.

• 20-10-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Guys, Im looking to get a new alarm fitted to my house.
    I already have a CCTV sytem in place.
    There is someone there all the time mostly so I just need a basic alarm system that does this:

- Monitored by a service centre, ie they call you. (my budget is 20 euro a month I don't really want to pay any more as I will not be using it.)
    Ability to text me if the alarm goes off.

- if there is a built in camera feature that emails, that would be nice, but I dont really need it as I have a camera system. But email notification / phone / sms notificaiton are all very useful

-a smoke sensor would be nice.

- Remote turn off etc.. to check the alarm is on or off.

I had a visonic system, but the gsm yoke doesn't work too well so that's why Id like a professional alert centre to monitor it.

I curently have UPC, and upc telephone.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Im looking to do this , this week
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Hi OP, firstly you cannot transmit text messages on UPC lines.
    Either way even if you had an Eircom/ Vodafone line then in a few months the text service on these lines will be discontinued.
    You mention monitored by a service centre, by this do you mean an alarm central monitoring station?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Hi thanks very much for the reply.
    Yes I meant alarm monitoring station.
    Yes I know text isnt available on UPC, I meant to say using a GSM card as backup. Possibly use the UPC line as telephone line or connct to the internet.
    I have installed an old visonic unit and sometimes it doesn't send the SMS, so I would like it to text me and contact the alarm monitoring station too.

Im just looking for someone to recommend a good unit, and a basic install and get it all working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Slothy wrote: »
    Hi thanks very much for the reply.
    Yes I meant alarm monitoring station.
    Yes I know text isnt available on UPC, I meant to say using a GSM card as backup. Possibly use the UPC line as telephone line or connct to the internet.
    I have installed an old visonic unit and sometimes it doesn't send the SMS, so I would like it to text me and contact the alarm monitoring station too.

Im just looking for someone to recommend a good unit, and a basic install and get it all working.

Using the GSM you have remote access to the alarm for arming and disarming.
    Using UPC you can also dial into the system to control the alarm for same.

I would say its more so to do with a signal to the GSM if its not texting out.
    Do you know which system you have installed?

Advertisement