Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

drkpower wrote: »
    I worked hard while many couldnt be arsed. Why should I pay more income tax then them?

You are debt free. Those who can be, should pay, right?. That sounds fair.

Those who couldn't be arsed can kill themselves for all I care, and I don't care if you do pay more income tax or not (flat-rate advocate here, lesser of three evils).

So, your "logic" is that people who can afford to pay other people's debt for them, should?

That's your argument?

And you're not a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sell your house.

Who the fcuk in this country can actually sell their house at the min?

Actually, I prob could if I was willing to accept 60% less than what I paid for it (as my home, not investment) five years ago.
    Do you really expect me to take 60% less, but still have a mortgage around my neck for the next twenty years? Get real.....

Had the property crash in this country escaped your attention or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I dont consider the amount of income tax I pay to be fair. Should I be entitled not to pay it? Simple?

That's entirely up to you. I'm happy enough with mine. If you want to know more about avoiding it you can contact this guy
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fitzgerald-lashes-lowry-over-tax-evasion-2263957.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

grindle wrote: »
    Those who couldn't be arsed can kill themselves for all I care, and I don't care if you do pay more income tax or not (flat-rate advocate here, lesser of three evils).
    You don't care if I pay income tax? Are you saying I should not have to?
    grindle wrote: »
    So, your "logic" is that people who can afford to pay other people's debt for them, should?
    Nope; thats not my argument. My argument is that you havent distinguished property tax/household charge from other forms of taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I really believe some of these lads are getting paid for trying to convince people to pay this unjust tax.

I get paid a few euro for each post, goes straight into the coffers of FG :rolleyes:
    Mr CJ wrote: »
    No your wrong there more like well fairplay to them their standing up for whats right at least there not mindless twits obeying there masters every order

So you do not recognise the beacon of democracy, the Dail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Sell your house.

Guys and girls can you see now why this guy should be ignored??

Dont waste your time

That's entirely up to you. I'm happy enough with mine.

Do you think i should not be legislatively obligated to pay my income tax if I believe it is unfair?

Ghandee wrote: »

Actually, I prob could if I was willing to accept 60% less than what I paid for it (as my home, not investment) five years ago.

Had the property cash in this country escaped your attention or what?

You attempted to distinguish a property tax from a car tax by pointing to the fact that you could 'sell your car'. That is not sufficient as you can also 'sell your house.

Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

That lad has a career in the entertainment industry ahead of him
    I am enjoying this thread though. Good craic. I really believe some of these lads are getting paid for trying to convince people to pay this unjust tax. They should give the money back as the gap is widening everyday..

Reckon they're civil 'servants' that worked on setting it up and don't want to end up with egg on their faces when it goes tits up.
    Is there any way to check their IP addresses?

gerryo777 wrote: »
    You would want to be seriously f**ked in the head to want to have 2 usernames on boards.ie to argue the same point, especially on this subject.
    That would be bordering on insanity.

Haha I realised the power names were similar and was wondering was it the same person myself but didnt realise the bishop also.

But anyone who fights up for the household charge must be insane so it seems logical to me ha

Guys before you think of a 3rd name try be a bit more original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Do you really expect me to take 60% less, but still have a mortgage around my neck for the next twenty years? Get real.....

Had the property crash in this country escaped your attention or what?

You don't have to sell your house to escape the charge this year. As I recall you said you live in an exempted estate.

Do you think i should not be legislatively obligated to pay my income tax if I believe it is unfair?

If you believe that a law is unjust then have the balls to oppose it.

If you believe that a law is unjust then have the balls to oppose it.

Guys and girls can you see now why this guy should be ignored??

Dont waste your time

Three of them here now. Must be overtime:D

gurramok wrote: »
    I get paid a few euro for each post, goes straight into the coffers of FG :rolleyes:

You probably need to be re-programmed.

You attempted to distinguish a property tax from a car tax by pointing to the fact that you could 'sell your car'. That is not sufficient as you can also 'sell give your house away for sixty percent less than you bought it for.

Try again.

Fyp.....

Its strange, the more I look on it......

Registered same month/year as your similary named counterpart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Why do the anti brigade care if I or anyone else pays this charge?

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Three of them here now. Must be overtime:D

yes with one of them still discussing income tax this is so funny!!

These guys are defo fg or mates of them

Get on to Lowry for advice. Mine is taken at source. Very little you can do about that but you can do a lot about the Household Tax.

You don't have to sell your house to escape the charge this year. As I recall you said you live in an exempted estate.

I've stated numerous times that i'm not liable for the charge (this year at least) but equally stated that I'd campaign tirelessly to do ask I can in getting it abolished as its unjust and unfair.

Btw.....

I'm still awaiting your response to my previous questions.....

Can we just assume that as you fail to even acknowledge them, that you've admitted to be caught out in lying, and spreading propaganda? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You probably need to be re-programmed.

I was at the vending machine today and spotted packets of Tayto and King side by side. Guess which packet I bought? :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You don't care if I pay income tax? Are you saying I should not have to?
    Firstly, your comprehension is diabolical.
    I said "I don't care if you do pay more income tax or not", not "I don't care if you pay tax at all."
    In an ideal world, you'd feel you should, unless you're lying, thieving scum.
    Secondly:
    Nope; thats not my argument. My argument is that you havent distinguished property tax/household charge from other forms of taxation.
    The property/household tax isn't FOR anything. It's not being USED for anything I could possibly get any use out of, and if it I was dumb enough to get myself into a massive debt and find myself owing large quantities of cash to a bank that needed to be bailed out by my government, thus costing innocent people their hard-earned cash, I'd feel like a leeching, worthless cum-sac.

This is just "Give us your money."

The definition of stealing.

donalg1 wrote: »

Donal we dont give a flying fck if you pay it. Go for it get into line and bend down, do what your told!! good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

What kind of a question is this?
    Because I, we, (my wife and child) needed somewhere to live for Christs sake!
    We didn't buy hoping to make money on the house, we didn't buy it as a second home.
    We simply got married and bought a family home together, we couldn't foresee the crap that was coming down the line not even a year later!

The attitude from a few folk here seems to be 'you bought a house so deserve to suffer'.

Where were we supposed to live?

I've lived within my means, even at the height of the boom, I always drove a second hand car, didn't go on holidays that often (and by this I mean not even once a year) so pardon me for trying to provide a house and home for my family, I surely deserve to suffer for doing that.

Dont get me wrong there, as i am not here to judge you or anyone else but you dont have to buy to live somewhere.
    Rent is acceptable too (actually renting a property makes way more economical sense than buying nowadays, even during the celtic tiger).

Banks are probably robbers but we signed their papers and were delighted to get mortgage that we knew we wont be able to pay.

Its sad that people with kids have to suffer but I dont think that property taxes is the core of our problems right now.

I was at the vending machine today and spotted packets of Tayto and King side by side. Guess which packet I bought? :D :pac:

I thought all the vending machines in the Dail were free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Donal we dont give a flying fck if you pay it. Go for it get into line and bend down, do what your told!! good lad

You obviously care if you give an answer like that. Basically you don't know then?

I was at the vending machine today at school, and spotted packets of Tayto and King side by side. Guess which packet I bought? :D :pac:

Fyp......

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

I consider this Law to be unjust. Here's a quote from a man who gave his life to oppose unjust laws.

One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    The other part of your post deserves to be ignored.

Martin Luther King opposed racial discrimination - not payment of taxes.

Get a grip!

You obviously care if you give an answer like that. Basically you don't know then?

Your an exception so dont really care less if you pay it, but on the other hand people are shooting themselves in the foot when they register and the more people register the more pressure it puts on the campaign this is why we do not want people registering, you know this already so dont know why your asking

• Advertisement

I think drkpower is a retired doctor judging from some of his other posts, possibly a consultant.
    If this is the case sure a few hundred or even a few thousand in a household tax would be no problem to him.
    Sure they are some of the most cosseted and overpaid people in the country and if he's retired sure his pension is probably 2 or 3 times the average industrial wage anyway.
    Maybe he could confirm / deny this....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement