Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

karaokeman wrote: »
    That would be like giving Nine Inch Tails 7/10 and giving Madonna 0.000007/10, which is a dire score by any standards and 7/10 does not substantiate a band as being "not that great".

Logic bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

cianisgood wrote: »
    micheal jackson is overrated

How so?

Noel Gallagher - godlike genius.

So true:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Nine Inch Nails may be the worst band I have ever heard. Unlistenable crap.

Try this track

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I still maintain Ghosts is the best Reznor stuff I've heard. Vocals feel bad man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Noel Gallagher - godlike genius.

So true:cool:

how is that an unpopular opinion? Most people like his shtick. You can't get more pop tbh.

lordgoat wrote: »
    how is that an unpopular opinion? Most people like his shtick. You can't get more pop tbh.

And Oasis didn't make good pop tunes in their heyday?

There really is nothing to be ashamed of for liking pop music, its meant to be feel good music and you're right most people will like it, nothing's wrong with that either.

That is not to say all the music I listen to is mainstream, from some of my previous posts about Jimmy MacCarthy you would probably guess I am a huge fan of Irish traditional music that much would be true.

I do take your point however that I should listen to more music, I recently listened to an Elliot Smith album which Sinfonia recommended to me in The Script thread and which you said would be lost on me. So far, just heard Figure 8 but I do plan to hear the rest soon as I get time off college work.

In response I will have you know I thoroughly enjoyed the album, not lost on me at all. I have recommended Smith to some of my friends who never heard of him etc. My favourite songs on it are Somebody That I Used To Know, LA and Wouldn't Mama Be Proud, quality tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

421008297_4809bd7b35.jpg

He meant pop as in popular. As in your opinion. As in how you are posting in a thread of unpopular opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Jimi Hendrix is an over rated guitar player.

Johnny Cash is over-rated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And Oasis didn't make good pop tunes in their heyday?

There really is nothing to be ashamed of for liking pop music, its meant to be feel good music and you're right most people will like it, nothing's wrong with that either.

That is not to say all the music I listen to is mainstream, from some of my previous posts about Jimmy MacCarthy you would probably guess I am a huge fan of Irish traditional music that much would be true.

I do take your point however that I should listen to more music, I recently listened to an Elliot Smith album which Sinfonia recommended to me in The Script thread and which you said would be lost on me. So far, just heard Figure 8 but I do plan to hear the rest soon as I get time off college work.

In response I will have you know I thoroughly enjoyed the album, not lost on me at all. I have recommended Smith to some of my friends who never heard of him etc. My favourite songs on it are Somebody That I Used To Know, LA and Wouldn't Mama Be Proud, quality tracks.

See Kolds post.

Also the second have of your post has nothing to do with this thread. But seeing as your looking for attention about your new found musical prowess. At least spell his fu.cking name properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Also the second have of your post has nothing to do with this thread. But seeing as your looking for attention about your new found musical prowess. At least spell his fu.cking name properly.

Jesus, how petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I think Moby is really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Brendog wrote: »
    I think Moby is really good
    He is. Play is a wonderful album. So good I bought it on tape and CD. :)

See Kolds post.

Also the second half of your post has nothing to do with this thread. But seeing as your looking for attention about your new found musical prowess. At least spell his fu.cking name properly.

FYP you spelt half as "have".
    Kold wrote: »
    He meant pop as in popular. As in your opinion. As in how you are posting in a thread of unpopular opinions.

Also many posts in this thread have been popular opinions, its become more of a general music opinions thread, like this other example from another poster.
    graw123 wrote: »
    oh The Beatles are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Johnny Cash is somewhat overrated.

Kings of Leon are very average radio pop rock and their lead vocalist is awful.

Johnny Cash is somewhat overrated.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

FYP you spelt half as "have".

Lol. Merked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭WinstonOno

Jimi Hendrix is an over rated guitar player.

Johnny Cash is over-rated.
    are you serious??? the sounds jimi got out of his guitar at the time were revolutionary. the way technology has advanced, there are guitarists out there now with mountains of effects pedals who still cant reproduce the sounds jimi could create. not to meantion his technical ability and showmanship. eric clapton has stated jimi was the most fluid guitarist he ever saw.

this is possibly the stupidest thing ive ever seen on boards, and that takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

rcaz wrote: »
    +1

To put it more in context, I dont think hes bad or anything, but his stuff is more football singalong or drunk karaoke type fare IMHO. But Walk the Line seemed to elevate him to iconic genius status among everyone under, well, his previous target audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

To put it more in context, I dont think hes bad or anything, but his stuff is more football singalong or drunk karaoke type fare IMHO. But Walk the Line seemed to elevate him to iconic genius status among everyone under, well, his previous target audience.

I think the American series of recordings did more to seal his legend status than the film did imo. While he parted ways with good taste several times during his career but he deserves respect for being an innovator with his Sun Recordings in his early years and for the honesty and frailty he showed in his last American recordings. And that crappy movie does nothing to get across how truly extraordinary his life was.

• Advertisement

I think the American series of recordings did more to seal his legend status than the film did imo. While he parted ways with good taste several times during his career but he deserves respect for being an innovator with his Sun Recordings in his early years and for the honesty and frailty he showed in his last American recordings. And that crappy movie does nothing to get across how truly extraordinary his life was.

How was he an innovator? I'm not arguing or anything, I just don't know. I never 'got' him really, don't know what the big deal is about. I liked American IV but that was mostly covers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

rcaz wrote: »
    How was he an innovator? I'm not arguing or anything, I just don't know. I never 'got' him really, don't know what the big deal is about. I liked American IV but that was mostly covers :pac:

He was part of the original rock and roll set alongside Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis at Sun Records before he moved closer to gospel and country and his man in black persona has been adopted by many 'outsiders' along the way and he was instrumental in kickstart the careers of people like Kris Kristofferson. I think he's the only person to have been inducted into both the Country and Rock and Roll halls of fame.

The American recordings, while many of them are covers, show a man that was unfraid to tackle new material and artists with a sympathetic ear and voice right up to his death. And while his voice is weak at times they show compassionate interpretation at all times. I have a soft spot for Mr Cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I don't get why Pearl Jam are so popular...at all? Same goes for Foo Fighters. Find both bands to have a very bland sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

They're accessible and inoffensive. Well, Foo Fighters are former AIDS deniers. But other than that, pretty cool guys.

WinstonOno wrote: »
    are you serious??? the sounds jimi got out of his guitar at the time were revolutionary. the way technology has advanced, there are guitarists out there now with mountains of effects pedals who still cant reproduce the sounds jimi could create. not to meantion his technical ability and showmanship. eric clapton has stated jimi was the most fluid guitarist he ever saw.

this is possibly the stupidest thing ive ever seen on boards, and that takes some doing.

I said guitar player, I am not talking about effects. He was good at getting a great sound from his amps, he was revolutionary in how he used electric guitars and effects.

However, He was not a fantastic player. Django would wipe the floor with him and he was wayyy before Jimi's time. Most decent Gypsy jazz and Latin players of the same era would of wiped the floor with Jimi technically.

I have been playing guitar for most of my life and know alot about theory and technique. Jimi is over rated.

Eric Clapton is not a real bench mark to go by. He is at best an average lead player.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, QOTSA, Soundgarden and kings of Leon are all really bland.

Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit and Marilyn manson were as mainstream as Britney Spears.

Joe Satriani Rocks. Strapping young Lad are one of the worlds greatest metal bands.

Gary Moore was one of the most under rated guitarists in the world.

Mark knopfler is possibly the greatest famous guitarist alive today despite the fact that most of his songs are Sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mindkiller wrote: »
    They're accessible and inoffensive. Well, Foo Fighters are former AIDS deniers. But other than that, pretty cool guys.

Wasn't that just the bass player though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Wasn't that just the bass player though?

The band did a gig in support of the AIDS-denying organisation 'Alive and well' (or something like that). As far as I'm concerned, that's an endorsement by the entire band and not just one member's slightly kooky beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

I enjoy really down home bluegrass - by the people, for the people.

Advertisement