Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

American Eagle (Clothing)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

128 dollars and change inc delivery (which would be liable for VAT)
    All this was stated on the shipping document so it's not as if the value wasn't declared...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's awesome, thanks OP. I might be tking advantage of that... Good to hear that once you don't take the piss you don't get stung for VAT.

Anyone know what the going rate is that you'd have to pay on top if you did? 21% on the total price incl. delivery + customs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Got mine yesterday. Well impressed, big thank you to OP.
    1 shirt, 1 polo shirt, 1 t-shirt, 2 "muscle" shirts & 2 pair underwear for $128.49 & no word from customs :D
    The missus was so impressed with the quality of my gear shes ordered a few bits herself & I'm ordering a few things again, but seperately. I think the lads are right, don't take the piss & customs will let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hugejeans

Well, I got stuff from hollister (about 150 euro) and abercrombie (about 100 euro) in January. They arrived and i thought all was good. I got two invoices from fedex looking for tax and duty near the end of February one for 45 euro and one for 68. So just because they arrive with no duty doesn't mean there wont be a follow up! just to let you know.

I have been told if you keep the price below 150 your usually safe, i think i was just unlucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wertz wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for all out XL's though unless there are clothes you buy here that are XL size (I swim in most XL sizes here)...
    I'm a large here but I went for XL as the tshirts was muscle fit, I rather a normal fit. Same as when in states

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

The 150 dollar mark sounds about right.

But is it the carrier that makes a difference -Fedex v UPS ??
    Does AE or Abercrombie use different shipping companies and hence why some get done and some don't ?

The 30$ shipping initially sounds steep but when you get 6 items of good quality clothing for euro82 - who cares.
    My order should arrive friday -so will order more this weekend.

The shipping lads in AE probably don't know what hit them - with all the orders for Ireland :D

I think your right about the carrier, hollister and abercrombie both use fedex, so it might be safer with UPS. Either way it still works out cheaper than buying low quality over priced stuff here!

hugejeans wrote: »
    Either way it still works out cheaper than buying low quality over priced stuff here!

Don't tell me you don't have the Pennys website as your home page.
    what a great webpage - the way you can go waayyy over to the right hand side :D

Obvously leaving plenty of room for expansion!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

karltimber wrote: »
    But is it the carrier that makes a difference -Fedex v UPS ??

In my experience (and with some anecdotal evidence) it makes a huge difference. I've not received a UPS package that hasn't had customs-related charges applied on import (out of roughly 15-20 over the last year). In contrast I've had easily over 30 USPS (very different to UPS!) packages in that time with taxes only being applied to 1 of them (value was only $65 with shipping), by An Post (who then don't attempt delivery at all, they just drop a note in the door.. so a 2.5 hour round trip later... *sigh*).

If you work for the revenue commissioners, the above is a fabricated story.

• Advertisement

AE use the USPS route so lucky us :D

AE : Orders are delivered by air to international addresses via United States Postal Service (USPS) Global Express

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

hugejeans wrote: »
    Well, I got stuff from hollister (about 150 euro) and abercrombie (about 100 euro) in January. They arrived and i thought all was good. I got two invoices from fedex looking for tax and duty near the end of February one for 45 euro and one for 68. So just because they arrive with no duty doesn't mean there wont be a follow up! just to let you know.

I have been told if you keep the price below 150 your usually safe, i think i was just unlucky!

The difference being that courier company's declare all their imports for VAT/Duty and then whack a handling fee on there. I'd say the reason they don't invoice you at point of delivery is in case you don't accept the package. Much easier to bill you after the fact.
    As mentioned above An Post will give you a pick-up slip and get you that way, probably because the postmen are not authorised to collect fees, have no change etc.

UPS is no relation of USPS....the former is a courier company, the latter a postal service. There seems to be an awful lot of confusion over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Just got mine there. My order came to $183 or something, customs of €53. Ah well!!

Adam

Sorry to hear Adam .. still, I'm sure it still represent good value (I know my order did even when I factored in the potential vat/duty hit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Got mine today, no customs mentioned.
    As for the sizes I ordered large tall and they both fit just right. I'm a large when shopping here as well, but with abercrombie i'm xl.

Quality wasn't quite up to Abercrombie either I thought, but then again it is cheaper.

Happy all round though!

Forky wrote: »
    Got mine today, no customs mentioned.

How much was your order - to gauge the duty cut-off if there is one.

K

Just about $50 plus the $30 shipping.

A tee and a shirt. Just checking sizes and quality really as I haven't used them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guys whether or not you get stung for customs from ae depends totally on your postman.

an post postmen are notoriously bad at collecting customs charges, whereas couriers like fedex and ups are required to do it by law, so are an post but they seem to forget.

You sure thats the way it works Cremo?

I know my postman fairly well so can't imagine him charging me anything if he has a choice.
    Seems like a strange system if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I just ordered 145 dollars worth of stuff, including delivery.. Here's hoping 150 is the cut off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea still good value even with customs so still happy. Thanks OP.

Adam

Cremo wrote: »
    guys whether or not you get stung for customs from ae depends totally on your postman.

Nearly sure that's not the case. It certainly isn't the case in urban centres (where parcels are still treated separately from regular post .. like SDS used be). The processing centre will make the decision on whether to charge, or not, long before the postman gets up let alone sort or deliver his route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

thanks a lot op

used it myself, ordered exactly 100 dollars worth of stuff (not on purpose, just added up that way :D) anyways shipping was 40 dollars

still a great deal, and will let everyone know how customs/shipping worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

thanks a lot op

used it myself, ordered exactly 100 dollars worth of stuff (not on purpose, just added up that way :D) anyways shipping was 40 dollars

still a great deal, and will let everyone know how customs/shipping worked out

No probs. Got the delivery slip for my order today. It was 97 dollars and the slip from an Post has a section for customs charges which has been left blank so presume I haven't been charged. Never been charged with American Eagle before. Not able to get up to the sorting office until Friday though (Stoopid places closing at 5:00pm!) so won't know til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Ah feck.. they want stuff faxed.. but the billing address was the cc address, like it's supposed to be. The shipping address was different, but I've never had a problem with that on any online site before..
    *rolls eyes*
    They can do without my 145 dollars!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

going to order some of this if you order a few days after will you still get stung?

Also any other good site to get some new threads at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Mine just arrived. Total order was $166 incl shipping ($40 shipping) and had to pay customs of €52. Still worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than buying here and the clothes themselves are very high quality. Will be ordering again later I think

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Just ordered a few bits and pieces myself.

I put my work address down as my delivery address.

Total order including postage was $180. Hopfully won't have to pay customs. Will let you know how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hgf

oh my god!!! lovely pair of dark blue jeans, blue zipped sweater and a lovely blue bag with pink doves on it - all from the clearance section and for 65 euro including shipping!!!!! (using discount code)
    thank you!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Cremo wrote: »

Parcels are flagged by customs when they enter the country it has nothing to do with your postman. Customs get it before An Post do.

Just to show you, here is my tracking info from my two orders.

Arrived Abroad, February 29, 2008, 3:01 pm, IRELAND
    International Dispatch, February 28, 2008, 2:14 pm, O'HARE APT/CHICAGO
    Processed, February 28, 2008, 2:12 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60666
    Processed, February 27, 2008, 3:01 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 27, 2008

Out of Foreign Customs, February 08, 2008, 4:37 pm, IRELAND
    Into Foreign Customs, February 06, 2008, 3:17 pm, IRELAND

Arrived Abroad, February 06, 2008, 3:16 pm, IRELAND
    International Dispatch, February 05, 2008, 2:11 pm, O'HARE APT/CHICAGO
    Processed, February 05, 2008, 2:08 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60666
    Processed, February 04, 2008, 2:45 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 04, 2008

The one that got hit by customs was for $222 the one that made it through untouched was for $145.

Advertisement