Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storing a database on networked drive

Options
  • 13-06-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need a solution to this situation.

Im building a database driven Java program for a company. The database needs to be stored on the internal networked drive. They have an Access database setup already but i need to use MYSQL if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Hi

I need a solution to this situation.

Im building a database driven Java program for a company. The database needs to be stored on the internal networked drive. They have an Access database setup already but i need to use MYSQL if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Either install MySQL on a network attached host and use that or export the Access instance as an ODBC data source and use that. (Hint: don't use Access, it's poo)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How do i install MYSQL on a network attached host? Will it install as a service somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

How do i install MYSQL on a network attached host? Will it install as a service somehow?

yes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Can I ask, why does it need to be stored on a network drive and use Access as a DB of all things? The mind is boggled by that alone. Why not have them download and install Microsoft SQL Management Server Express and run in it on an available machine that could store the data on the Internal Networked Drive.

The SQL Server, does allow for JDBC and ODBC connections as far as I can remember, so you could develop a Java Application that would use the DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Itzy wrote: »
    Can I ask, why does it need to be stored on a network drive and use Access as a DB of all things? The mind is boggled by that alone. Why not have them download and install Microsoft SQL Management Server Express and run in it on an available machine that could store the data on the Internal Networked Drive.

The SQL Server, does allow for JDBC and ODBC connections as far as I can remember, so you could develop a Java Application that would use the DB.

He said he wants to use MYSQL. Pay attention! :pac:

I'm a little confused as to the OP though. Is the Access DB stored on the file system of a networked machine or is it on a networked storage device? And are you trying to run MYSQL as a service on a networked machine but the actual database is then stored on the networked storage device?

• Advertisement

Bit of a long story to why it needs to be done this way and bear in mind that if i had full control i would do as Itzy says.

I have been put in a situation where this company has been storing their production statistics in an Access database and excel files since 2001 apparently. 2 x 12 hour shifts where 6 different managers will log the days production and notes at the end of each shift. They will literally open up the same file, write to it and save it.

They do not want the info stored externally. They have really strict controls on their machines and connecting to outside sites is very difficult so my first idea to just use externally hosted MYSQL database isnt suitable.

Theres a whole lot of other reasons but ill be here all day mentioning them.

I have more experience with MYSQL and Java than anything else so i really want to use them.

So.....

In the end i think SQLite suits the project perfectly as it stores as a flat file in the same location as the other files. Multiple people will not be querying the database at the same time so locking shouldnt be a problem. Literally hours between shifts so thats not a problem.

Java App that connects to an SQLite database stored on the network drive seems the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.filemaker.com/ie is close enough to what you are describing

gctest50 wrote: »
    http://www.filemaker.com/ie is close enough to what you are describing

How? Doesnt seem suitable at all from a quick look.

Advertisement