Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help problem with dog

Options
  • 20-12-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

my bf has had to go away for a few months and left his dog with me as he had no other choice. in the last few days when i was at work he has been jumping the 6ft wall into my neighbours, another neighbour called into warn me that they were going mental and threatening to call dog warden on me so i decided to keep the dog inside so he cant jump the wall.

i came home to find a note from my neighbours daughter to tell me the dog was barking too much today and its causing great to distress to her elderly mother and about the distress the dog caused jumping into the garden.

if i tie him up he barks constatly if i leave him loose he jumps the wall n if i keep him he barks too much has anyone any ideas of how i can sort this situation i dont want to be upsetting my neighbours and i cant exactly get rid of the dog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

you must treally love your bf.

you cud maybe get some get some netting preventing him jumping over ,either that or the dog has to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Get some kong toys, they are made of very strong rubber and are hollow to stuff with food (google Kong toys, most pet stores have them now), you can stuff them then freeze them overnight, it takes the dogs hours to get the food out and keeps them busy.
    Do you walk the dog before you go out? A tired dog will sleep a good while, you could also try getting a friend to call in and walk the dog mid day, or just spend half hour playing with him.
    Its probably boredom and the confusion of your boyfriend leaving/dog moving home.
    Leave the TV or Radio on, the background noise can be reassuring, and block out noise from outside that may set off barking.
    Explain to your neighbour you are doing your best to sort the situation, hopefully they will understand you are making an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

he must be a big dog, to jump a high wall, what breed is he she, give him toys to play with, balls, rubber toys, a place to sleep, give him big bones, i would say he is missing your boyfriend, and that will happen for a while, why not put one of those soft muzzles that he can still drink but not bark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

goat2 wrote: »
    he must be a big dog, to jump a high wall, what breed is he she, give him toys to play with, balls, rubber toys, a place to sleep, give him big bones, i would say he is missing your boyfriend, and that will happen for a while, why not put one of those soft muzzles that he can still drink but not bark

You mean basket muzzles? :confused: Dogs can still bark with those on.

A walk in the morning and some stuffed kongs for while your gone should help. If you freeze the kongs they will last much longer also. And if you can get someone to drop in during the day for a short walk it should help also.

Whats his behaviour like while your with him? Could he be missing your bf?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

the dog is a husky collie cross....my bf has been gone nearly 2 months now its only this past week the dog has started doing this.....i have toys for him....i have a soft muzzle but i afraid to leave him while i go to work with it on.....im only new to this town i dont have anyone who can call in on him during the day

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    You mean basket muzzles? :confused: Dogs can still bark with those on.

A walk in the morning and some stuffed kongs for while your gone should help. If you freeze the kongs they will last much longer also. And if you can get someone to drop in during the day for a short walk it should help also.

Whats his behaviour like while your with him? Could he be missing your bf?

when im there the dog plays with my dog....or just sleeps or plays with toys no noise at all from him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is the dog neutered? Maybe there's a bitch in heat somewhere close by.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Is the dog neutered? Maybe there's a bitch in heat somewhere close by.

no he's not...that never dawned on me but he normally jumps to neighbour on otherside cos that man calls him he likes the company but he is gone away for christmas he has never jumped into neighbours on otherside before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well then I think you'll have to keep him in for a couple of weeks which shouldn't be too hard with the holidays coming.

Ring your local vets and see if they can recommend a dog walker to come and take him out during the day just for this week and maybe speak to your bf about having him neutered or else you're going to keep running into the same problem.

I'd also be asking the neighbour on the other side to stop getting the dog to climb the wall as it's only giving him bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

our dog at home was virtually uncontrolable before we got him neutered , barking and generally very boistrous, different dog now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

If this is only happening since the old man next door has gone away, it's possible that he's missing the company that he used to have during the day. So to him, it could be the first time he's ever been 'really alone' during the day and it's making him agitated. Or as someone above posted, that there's a bitch in heat nearby - some dogs will do anything to get to a bitch in heat!!

Everything mymo said above is great advice.

Plenty of frozen kongs/rawhide chew toys, and loads of exercise can help a surprising amount, as well as having a walker call during the day if that is possible for you.

Netting at an angle to the wall may also help.

Neutering can help behavioural problems, but it might depend on his age (has a bit more of an effect on younger dogs)... but then again, if he's able to escape from the garden and roam, it's best to have gim neutered anyway.

I don't know about leaving a muzzle on him all day. You run the risk of making him even more agitated about being home alone. Better to up his exercise and give him toys that will keep his mind busy.

There are anti bark collars but people have varying success with them, in my opinion it's far better to do all of the above before you resort to these. (For the same reason as the muzzle, i.e. you're not really addressing the problems that are making him agitated in the first place and you're possibly making it worse). If you do go down this road, then I REALLY advise you to get a citronella spray collar rather than a 'shock' collars. Again, some people find they work, but some find their dogs get worse instead of better with these.

You said he's fine in the evenings, because your dog is with him. Where does your dog go during the day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

It's the husky in him that makes him a good jumper. Huskys are the best escape artists in the business. I have a samoyed who jumps fences in the blink of an eye. My suggestion would be a dog run, obviously the larger the better, maybe ask the boyfriend to send some funds and get one asap. Its also the Husky in him that makes him bark, plenty of toys and activities in dog run should help this. Let him sleep in at night to curb barking and keep the neighbours onside. I mite also suggest dropping in some chocs by way of a peace offering to the neighbours and wishing them a happy Christmas.

dvet wrote: »
    If this is only happening since the old man next door has gone away, it's possible that he's missing the company that he used to have during the day. So to him, it could be the first time he's ever been 'really alone' during the day and it's making him agitated. Or as someone above posted, that there's a bitch in heat nearby - some dogs will do anything to get to a bitch in heat!!

Everything mymo said above is great advice.

Plenty of frozen kongs/rawhide chew toys, and loads of exercise can help a surprising amount, as well as having a walker call during the day if that is possible for you.

Netting at an angle to the wall may also help.

Neutering can help behavioural problems, but it might depend on his age (has a bit more of an effect on younger dogs)... but then again, if he's able to escape from the garden and roam, it's best to have gim neutered anyway.

I don't know about leaving a muzzle on him all day. You run the risk of making him even more agitated about being home alone. Better to up his exercise and give him toys that will keep his mind busy.

There are anti bark collars but people have varying success with them, in my opinion it's far better to do all of the above before you resort to these. (For the same reason as the muzzle, i.e. you're not really addressing the problems that are making him agitated in the first place and you're possibly making it worse). If you do go down this road, then I REALLY advise you to get a citronella spray collar rather than a 'shock' collars. Again, some people find they work, but some find their dogs get worse instead of better with these.

You said he's fine in the evenings, because your dog is with him. Where does your dog go during the day?

my dog is outside he is a smaller dog and still a puppy if i leave him in during the day he destroys the house

shivkk06 wrote: »
    my dog is outside he is a smaller dog and still a puppy if i leave him in during the day he destroys the house

Oh right, so they're both in the garden together during the day then, and he still barks/jumps out? The difference in the evenings then might be more down to you being home than your dog being there, if you know what i mean.

I also really like common sense brigade's idea of calling round with chocs for the neighbours. If they know you're really trying to fix the problem they might be a lot more undertanding!

no the problem with barking is only since i kept him inside to stop him jumping the wall as they were giving out about that. Everytime i tried to tie him up he manages somehow to get out so as a last resort i' ve kept him inside but seemingly barks too much inside and they complaining about this.

Yeah I get you alright. But the advice given by everyone above (i.e. the extra walking, toys, etc) should help with either problem, because it'll help him be less energetic and less bored during the day, which is why he's doing all of this. So the way I see it your options are:

(1) Keep him outside: But put up angled netting or get a big, secure dog run, (so that he can't jump out) + the extra walking/toys etc too (NB. this is important - so that he's not so anxious/troublesome in the first place)

(2) Keep him inside: + the extra walking/toys/radio etc. (again to help his boredom/anxiety). BUT you will also have to bring your other dog in for this to realistically work (seperating them is probably only going to make him bark more). Get extra chew toys/kongs for your dog too, and maybe try keeping them in one designated room where there isn't too much furniture they could destroy.

I know both options are a lot of effort, but they are likely to help if you do them right...

p.s. your boyfriend owes you big christmas pressies!

If your going to tie him the best way for a husky to be tied Is with a harness.Also dog tie made of durable yet flexible steel airline cable . So you attach the cable to the harness. Never the dogs neck. You can get special cord in petshops. very long to be fair to the dog. the cord is impossible to chew through and the harness is more humane to the dog. ideally a dog run but if you have to tie him for the few months you have him, go get the proper cable and harness. in total it will set you back about 50 euro. Make sure the dog cant tie himself around trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

dvet wrote: »
    (1) Keep him outside: But put up angled netting or get a big, secure dog run, (so that he can't jump out) + the extra walking/toys etc too (NB. this is important - so that he's not so anxious/troublesome in the first place)

(2) Keep him inside: + the extra walking/toys/radio etc. (again to help his boredom/anxiety). BUT you will also have to bring your other dog in for this to realistically work (seperating them is probably only going to make him bark more). Get extra chew toys/kongs for your dog too, and maybe try keeping them in one designated room where there isn't too much furniture they could destroy.

Do either of these. You have to tire him out more though.
    Make sure the dog cant tie himself around trees.

Or hang himself after he jumps the wall.

Or hang himself after he jumps the wall.
    Very important to keep him away from walls also. I should have said that.
    This actually happened to my mother in Law's dog back in the 80's. He hung himself.
    Never Tie a dog from his neck. I would never suggest you tie a dog at all, but if it is a last resort for you i was just trying to help you out to get the right equipment. Personally a Dog Run would be my option if I was you.

If your going to tie him the best way for a husky to be tied Is with a harness.Also dog tie made of durable yet flexible steel airline cable . So you attach the cable to the harness. Never the dogs neck. You can get special cord in petshops. very long to be fair to the dog. the cord is impossible to chew through and the harness is more humane to the dog. ideally a dog run but if you have to tie him for the few months you have him, go get the proper cable and harness. in total it will set you back about 50 euro. Make sure the dog cant tie himself around trees.

i tried tying dog with harness i was afraid if i left it on collar he would choke i returned to find harness attached to chain without the dog in it....i tightened harness again thought might have been too loose dog escaped from it everytime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marclampard

Just buy a toys for your dog..

Try to find on this site http://thepaws.depapaz.com
    They have many qualified pet toys, you can also try their newsletter first for an updated new comer product.
    I bought twice from them and it's so very though quality pet toys.

i have loads of toys for the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i would try and bring him for walk in morning before work if possible to tire him out. i would leave him a frozen kong to chew on and i would try and get a walker to come in and bring him for maybe a hrs walk again to tire him out. i dont think there is much else u can do. maybe a doggie day care centre or getting someone to take him for couple of hrs but all this is going to cost. this is what a friend of mine does, twice a week she has someone to come take the dog to their place and then the rest of week the same person will come in during day and play and bring her dog for a walk. it dont come cheap though but she says its worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would get him neutered for a start, theres no need for a cross breed to be left entire at all.

Secondly, he needs more exercise. Huskies are working dogs so they need a lot of stimulation and exercise. One walk a day is not enough for them, they need to be cycled or walked for miles to tire them out.

Advertisement