Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai or Security for Spanish Arch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Shakti wrote: »
    :eek:

Great response, i take my hat off to you. I am no match for your intellectual prowess in debating social issues. I now feel embarrased by my response as your smiley has certainly shown me the fallacy of my opinion.

Dont be theres really no need, I'm still taking it in TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

zarquon wrote: »
    Underage drinking=breaking the law.
    If they are underage then that's a separate issue but any of the young ones I've seen down there look like college students.
    Drinking in public=breaking the law.
    Like I said this isn't a law that's ever been enforced in Galway, it would destroy our festivals for a start. It's ok for some to do it but not other?

Littering their empty cans and bottles=breaking the law.
    As I said the last time, that should be dealt with and it's not difficult to do.

Those who grow up engaging in such activities embarassingly continue to support such activities in their adulthood. Perhaps some of these posters should comeback and read their posts in 10, 20 or even 30 years time
    My opinion hasn't changed since I was in my 20s in Galway and it won't change either, because there's nothing wrong with sitting outside with friends having a drink.

when they are watching their own kids out and about bushing, etc. Will you congratulate your own 14/15 year old daughter for tarting herself up with about 10 layers of makeup and a lack of clothing that would be out of place on a miami beach and watch as she downs vodka mixers and buckie on street corners whilst idiotic hormone driven young fellas demonstrate their coolness by shouting obscenities and throwing themselves at your daughters. Maybe you'll be superimpressed by your sons who go out on their "shifting" and "shagging" and getting "locked" in celebration of their junior certs! Would those would be dads currently in support of such behaviour, be giving their future (or current) sons high fives for their shenanigans.
    Give Joe Duffy a call he loves this kind of nonsense.

I could debate the point further but engaging a mod of "zombie survival" would clearly not benefit either of us as your atitude has clearly not developed much beyond your younger days as indicative of some of your previous posts. Of course i could be completely wrong and you could have been a complete header in your youth, in which case your more passive support stance right now would still be a sign of maturity over your younger days.

BTW, i like how you differentiate between the fact that littering whilst not enforced, should be and that public drinking is not enforced so is fine. By your logical reasoning, as littering laws are not really enforced it is an acceptable social norm.

You disagree with littering and agree it should be enforced as a law. You agree with public drinking and disagree that it should be enforced as a law. Your are contradicting yourself, you either want the law enforced as a whole or you don't!. You can't just pick and chose which laws should be enforced or neglected based on your ideals. Many people would look at the littering issue and tell you its no harm either as people are paid to pick it up and look upon your stance the way you look upon my atitude towards public drunken behaviour. The terms pot, kettle and black come to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I understand a somewhat lack of maturity in young peoples atitudes towards such issues but i am greatly aggreived at seeing the responses of adults in this thread (i am assuming adults, correct me if i am wrong). The type of of drunken behaviour we regular see from teens and adults around Galway is shocking.

Have any of these young people caused any trouble in the last few days? The op gave the impression this group were all loud and intimidating.
    I am not in favour of some of the stuff that happens and rag week is a total disaster every year but this is not the same thing imo.
    Gardai don't want to be seen to be picking on a group who are just enjoying themselves causing no harm to the general public.

hondasam wrote: »
    Have any of these young people caused any trouble in the last few days? The op gave the impression this group were all loud and intimidating.
    I am not in favour of some of the stuff that happens and rag week is a total disaster every year but this is not the same thing imo.
    Gardai don't want to be seen to be picking on a group who are just enjoying themselves causing no harm to the general public.

Saw a bunch of young drunken lads hanging around outside the museum shouting obsceneties at some of the ladies passing by. I would not deem that to be not causing harm but others here would disagree. I'm sure some of those ladies were made to feel very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I could debate the point further but engaging a mod of "zombie survival" would clearly not benefit either of us as your atitude has clearly not developed much beyond your younger days as indicative of some of your previous posts. Of course i could be completely wrong and you could have been a complete header in your youth, in which case your more passive support stance right now would still be a sign of maturity over your younger days.

BTW, i like how you differentiate between the fact that littering whilst not enforced, should be and that public drinking is not enforced so is fine. By your logical reasoning, as littering laws are not really enforced it is an acceptable social norm.

You disagree with littering and agree it should be enforced as a law. You agree with public drinking and disagree that it should be enforced as a law. Your are contradicting yourself, you either want the law enforced as a whole or you don't!. You can't just pick and chose which laws should be enforced or neglected based on your ideals. Many people would look at the littering issue and tell you its no harm either as people are paid to pick it up and look upon your stance the way you look upon my atitude towards public drunken behaviour. The terms pot, kettle and black come to mind

With the Galway races coming up I'm genuinely interested in your opinion of adults doing the exact same thing these youngsters are doing. The only difference is 15-20 years and a suit.

Do you think everything you've mentioned previously (except for underage drinking) should be enforced on the adults (drinking in public/littering) on what is probably the busiest week in Galway as well as the largest crowd at the spanish arch?

Caliden wrote: »
    With the Galway races coming up I'm genuinely interested in your opinion of adults doing the exact same thing these youngsters are doing. The only difference is 15-20 years and a suit.

Do you think everything you've mentioned previously (except for underage drinking) should be enforced on the adults (drinking in public/littering) on what is probably the busiest week in Galway as well as the largest crowd at the spanish arch?

Yes, i do. Same rules apply. I am not singling out young people. The idiocy that goes on during race week is nearly as bad as rag week. Wearing a pennys €50 suit does not exempt one from acceptable social behaviour, irrespective of age.

Saw a bunch of young drunken lads hanging around outside the museum shouting obsceneties at some of the ladies passing by. I would not deem that to be not causing harm but others here would disagree. I'm sure some of those ladies were made to feel very uncomfortable.

I'm not saying they are all perfect but some ladies are well able to shout obscenities too, you can dress some people up in suits and nice dresses but they are still the same underneath.
    My point people in nice clothes can be just as rude as people in jeans and hoodies.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying they are all perfect but some ladies are well able to shout obscenities too, you can dress some people up in suits and nice dresses but they are still the same underneath.
    My point people in nice clothes can be just as rude as people in jeans and hoodies.

I completely agree, this is not about the apparel of people, be it hoodies or Brown Thomas' finest. Its about the behaviour, and this sort of behaviour is inappropriate and out of place.

I think some posters here are getting sidetracked by the whole clothing issues. Hoodies or suits don't affect one's atitude. In fact some of the suited individuals act worse during race week than any busher you would ever see hiding under a hoodie.

Underage drinking=breaking the law.
    Drinking in public=breaking the law.
    Littering their empty cans and bottles=breaking the law.

Does anyone really care about drinking in public once the person doing it is not underage and is not littering.

Drinking in public is part of Galway culture, be it having a can on the way into town on a night out or drinking on the streets for the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I will go back and answer everything when I get a chance but I have a quick post to follow the style of everyone else.

Discriminating against a whole group of people for the actions of a small few = breaking the law.
    Making false accusations about a whole group of people rather than picking out the individual culprits = breaking the law.
    Slander without due cause = breaking the law.
    Discriminating against someone based on their appearance = breaking the law.
    Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be = breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

GarIT wrote: »
    I will go back and answer everything when I get a chance but I have a quick post to follow the style of everyone else.

Discriminating against a whole group of people for the actions of a small few = breaking the law.
    Making false accusations about a whole group of people rather than picking out the individual culprits = breaking the law.
    Slander without due cause = breaking the law.
    Discriminating against someone based on their appearance = breaking the law.
    Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be = breaking the law.

Making up laws to support your "argument" = priceless.

It seems to me that a few people on this thread would be best served to relax a bit and even ... have a drink.

Drinking in public is part of Galway culture, be it having a can on the way into town on a night out or drinking on the streets for the races.

I wouldn't agree with this. Drinking in public has only become really acceptable in maybe the last 20 years or so. It's only a recent phenomenon. Only yesterday I saw some people at about 6 or 6.30 walking into town on Taylor's Hill, drinking from some cans; not causing any trouble to anyone; just walking and chatting. I don't know why, can't put a finger on it, but I still find that kind of shocking. There is no way that I would walk and drink like that in public. You might not agree, but there are plenty on people who feel the same way.

churchview wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this. Drinking in public has only become really acceptable in maybe the last 20 years or so. It's only a recent phenomenon. Only yesterday I saw some people at about 6 or 6.30 walking into town on Taylor's Hill, drinking from some cans; not causing any trouble to anyone; just walking and chatting. I don't know why, can't put a finger on it, but I still find that kind of shocking. There is no way that I would walk and drink like that in public. You might not agree, but there are plenty on people who feel the same way.

Walking on the street and drinking I do not agree with and don't like to see it.

Making up laws to support your "argument" = priceless.

It seems to me that a few people on this thread would be best served to relax a bit and even ... have a drink.

What did I make up?

right, you haven't been to Galway for five years....so you actually have no clue about the Spanish Arch or what goes on down there. Yet you seem to having such an attitude on this forum because people are going on about what was going on down there on Saturday night. You were there, haven't been here for five years yet you are up in arms at the people who were there.

if you are this bad on boards, I'd hate to see your attitude face to face. Maybe something to think about - there could be a REASON people look at you they way they do. Angry at the world, and not even a hint that you might be affecting more vulnerable people in the way you hang out at corners.

A lot to think about there :(

I see once again you refuse to answer any questions about your arguement. So I will ask again as I will keep doing until you answer. The problem is you can't answer because it will show how pathetic you are.

So once again, has any young person harmed you in any way physically or mentally? Have you seen anyone being harmed by young people? Why were you intimidated by a group of teenagers? Why were you scared of the group of teenagers? Are you sure that all of the young people were doing all of what you said?

As I have already said I am defending the young people that you are attacking. The behaviour of young people is universal, I don't think it is too different to young people anywhere else.

I am not up in arms about anything, you are, I am defending the innocent victims among the group of young people you are not attacking without reason.

I highly doubt it, I fell that it is just because some older people take the media too seriously and the things about young people in the media are completely blown out of proportion and are used to label all young people.

I don't feel angry but thank you for the analysis Dr. Dodges questions (P.H.D. in child psychology) it is much apprecited.

Sorry but who was vulnerable?

I won't be participating in this thread anymore unless/until you reply to my questions.

You are attacking defenseless young people that have done no known harm to anyone. A lot to think about there big man.

What did I make up?

Well, just as an example I'm pretty sure your "Slander without due cause" law is a bit makey uppie. It may be a version of slander, which by definition can't be "with cause". It's like saying murder is allowable if you've a good excuse. As a further aside, noone here can possibly have committed slander. They can only be accused here of libel; you can work that out yourself.

Let's also have a look at your "Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be" law. Yes, agreed, people have rights. Rights are not unlimited and are curtailed when needed. For instance, the Public Order Acts allow for people to be moved in certain circumstances even if they consider themselves to have "the right" to be in a place. Noone has the "right" to drink alcohol in an open public space.

Fortunately, most people have the maturity (unrelated to age), to realise that rights and laws are tempered by responsibilities. Responsibilities include a recognition that one's actions affect other people, and those of certain maturity modify their behaviour in public so that others' comfort and perception of safety is not prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I won't be participating in this thread anymore unless/until you reply to my questions.
    For the love of Christ, fishy fishy - don't do it!

• Advertisement

Well, just as an example I'm pretty sure your "Slander without due cause" law is a bit makey uppie. It may be a version of slander, which by definition can't be "with cause". It's like saying murder is allowable if you've a good excuse. As a further aside, noone here can possibly have committed slander. They can only be accused here of libel; you can work that out yourself.

Let's also have a look at your "Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be" law. Yes, agreed, people have rights. Rights are not unlimited and are curtailed when needed. For instance, the Public Order Acts allow for people to be moved in certain circumstances even if they consider themselves to have "the right" to be in a place. Noone has the "right" to drink alcohol in an open public space.

Fortunately, most people have the maturity (unrelated to age), to realise that rights and laws are tempered by responsibilities. Responsibilities include a recognition that one's actions affect other people, and those of certain maturity modify their behaviour in public so that others' comfort and perception of safety is not prejudiced.

Possibly phrased badly in a moment of frustration but not incorrect, leaving it at slander probably would have been more accurate. It is illegal to make an offensive comment about someone except in cases where it can be proven to be true. If a newspaper posts something deflamatory about you they are liable except in cases where the newspaper can prove it to be true.

Other then the Gardaí nobody can try to make somebody move from a public place. You cant say they were all drinking, thats slander unless you can prove every single young person in that area was drinking alcohol at the time. There has to have been some young people that weren't and they were legally doing nothing wrong.

I understand that everyone has a responsibility to behave in a reasonable manner but I doub't these young people were menicing or intimidating like they were made out to be, im sure they were just minding their own business while possibly being loud.

If somebody has an irrational fear like a fear of someone wearing a hoodie they should be seeing a doctor and trying to avoid large public places.

Ficheall wrote: »
    For the love of Christ, fishy fishy - don't do it!

Why, are you scared of an arguement that points out the mistreatment of young people and may make some adults think twice about how they treat people?

Just to borrow from another off the shelf stereotype, what do you think a sailor wants to see as they come into port, a raucous vital celtic welcome with the promise of drinking and debauchery to unfold or to share a tepid cup of tea with mr. & mrs.curfew back at the B&B ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why, are you scared of an arguement that points out the mistreatment of young people and may make some adults think twice about how they treat people?

No, it's because it's boring as ****.

I'll take it, biko. For the sake of my sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't agree with this. Drinking in public has only become really acceptable in maybe the last 20 years or so.
    That's nonsense, I have pictures of my family drinking outdoors. Do you really think people would sit inside on a fine day when there's not even the hint of a law to stop them? Drinking outside only became an issue when the committees decided they didn't like the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Shakti wrote: »
    Is that what its come to so 'if you don't like paying off our debt why don't you just f*ck off to oz' I wouldn't take a thousand tourists over one young citizen of Galway but again it's not surprising they do leave here in there hundreds of thousands when you call them knackers* and hoodies etc. and begrudge them even to gather.

*using the terms knacker,knackers and knacker drinking as descriptive terms for a person is dehumanising think of the tourists who might be reading this.

I'm afraid to think about it.For the opposite reasoning you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

ScumLord wrote: »
    Since when is drinking in public a big deal in Galway? I've walked down the street in Galway and seen all sorts standing out in the street with their drink. I've drank in public it's been going on for years and is usually accepted.

Littering shouldn't be tolerated but it may be better to just ask them not to litter or make it obvious they don't need to litter rather than labelling them as dangerous and running away scared.

This is a tabloid reaction I'm always half shocked, half bent over laughing when I see the fear in grown adults when they're around teenagers and kids they don't know.

I don't think they should be moved on, all your doing is turning them into pariahs and that will only lead to conflict.

They have as much right to be there as anybody and as long as they're not breaking any laws I'm only delighted to see people getting themselves in a huff because they don't like the look of youngwans.

I was one of those yougwans way back in the day. we didn't intimidate or bully anyone. Moderater? I know what I'd call ya

Walking on the street and drinking I do not agree with and don't like to see it.

I don't get the problem with it when someone isn't causing any hassle or littering. I regularly walk into town with a can or even two if its a bit of a walk be it in Galway, Cork or Dublin and I've done it a lot earlier than 6 in the evening. We also often bring a can for a taxi spin into town and the vast majority of taxis dont mind.

I don't get the problem with it when someone isn't causing any hassle or littering. I regularly walk into town with a can or even two if its a bit of a walk be it in Galway, Cork or Dublin and I've done it a lot earlier than 6 in the evening. We also often bring a can for a taxi spin into town and the vast majority of taxis dont mind.

No offence to anyone that does it but it looks rather thuggish, tough, hard man image imo.

• Advertisement

No offence to anyone that does it but it looks rather thuggish, tough, hard man image imo.

If its a crowd of actual thugish looking people or people wearing tracksuits etc then it will make them look even more thuggish but a group of normal lads and girls all well dressed for heading out I think its obvious enough they just brought one for the road.

We have been doing it for so long now it just seams the normal thing to do, so I just find it a bit strange people have such a low opinion of it.

Advertisement