Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay Byrne not wearing seat belt on Wogans ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

Gay Byrne is a small man with a huge chip on his shoulder cos he wasn't born british.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

bitter wrote: »
    Gay Byrne is a small man with a huge chip on his shoulder cos he wasn't born british.

You can supplement Wogan for Byrne in that post and it works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

bitter wrote: »

No, it's a seatbelt on his shoulder...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Jayney mack! you would not get away with anything on boards:D.There may be a reasonable explaination:p.Have to listen to joe today to see whether its on it..If this come out, he certainly will have egg on his face.......................maybe even literally;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

In the event of a sudden stop, Byrne will have the weight of a hippopotamus. While Wogan will "do it to him one more time" with his elephant impression.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Jesus the bitterness and aggression here is disturbing. I'm a fan of Gay Byrne. Grew up on Late Late and his morning radio show. Since he has taken over at the RSA the figures are improving.

The day he became head of RSA, Martin Cullen (the then minister) was there wallowing in the glory, Gay turned to the cameras and said, "If I don't get the cooperation or support I need from the government, I will be resigning". Cullen nearly shat himself.

Of course I keep forgetting, the boards.ie motors forum is comprised solely of the worlds best drivers who lord criticism over the masses from a fierce height. I'd love to go for a spin with you all some day, I'm sure it would be a textbook lesson in ultra perfect driving, whatever about behavior.

I'm sure now someone will reply with a statement to the effect that they would not mind if my car hit a wall at 100kph. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

dnme wrote: »
    Jesus the bitterness and aggression here is disturbing. I'm a fan of Gay Byrne.

Is that you Roisin?

Seriously though, wtf are you on about? Gay Byrne/RSA has been preaching drivel for years and he cannot put the most basic elements of road safety into practise while filming for RTE? Jesus. If nothing else it is a serious lack of professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

filming for RTE?

filming for BBC :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

typical double standards :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jesus the bitterness and aggression here is disturbing. I'm a fan of Gay Byrne. Grew up on Late Late and his morning radio show. Since he has taken over at the RSA the figures are improving.

The day he became head of RSA, Martin Cullen (the then minister) was there wallowing in the glory, Gay turned to the cameras and said, "If I don't get the cooperation or support I need from the government, I will be resigning". Cullen nearly shat himself.

Of course I keep forgetting, the boards.ie motors forum is comprised solely of the worlds best drivers who lord criticism over the masses from a fierce height. I'd love to go for a spin with you all some day, I'm sure it would be a textbook lesson in ultra perfect driving, whatever about behavior.

I'm sure now someone will reply with a statement to the effect that they would not mind if my car hit a wall at 100kph. The mind boggles.
    To be honest I know where your coming form with the boards.ie motor forum having people banging on all the time about how good they are at driving. there is nothing wrong with them saying it cos who are we to know any difference, Ould Gaybo is in a position where he should be seen to wear his seatbelt but according to the posts he hasnt so why not have an ould "fook him so" thread about it.
    Nobody in here is gonna be on television banging on about do this do that and then get caught out not doing it.
    anyways im going back to watching the royal rumble cos I've nothing else better to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I have to agree with this . As a car nut I used to love reading through the motors forums. I've stopped reading as my brain could'nt handle all the self righteousness bull from too many contributers.
    Throw a few key words such as ... Motorway lane discipline..... Using roundabouts and Safety cameras and too many people go beserek spouting outta them like they all read Roadcraft from cover to cover before they turn the key, or all have a masters in Driving. Far too many experts! here.
    Anyway back on topic , Gay Byrne, while he is a pain, he has undoubtably has to have made some sort of positive contribution to the role and function of the RSA, and thus possibly saved lives..
    Yours ...
    Uncle Gaybo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whats to bet we'll still get people convinced that Byrne is a road safety expert entirely entitled to preach about driving standards (when his have never been tested).

If this gets in to the papers, hopefully he'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What a smug tool. Hope he gets Keyseyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

spending his retirement years trying to save people's lives on the road, lets get rid of the smug git

I right mean now we have muppets slagging him off for this whilst he works hard on road safety , lets get rid of him so we *just* have muppets slagging him off and nobody spending their time on road safety

I wonder have any of you guys ever done anything to help other people? he might just as easy sit back and do nothing but he is trying to make a difference?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bigpoppa wrote: »
    I right mean now we have muppets slagging him off for this whilst he works hard on road safety , lets get rid of him so we *just* have muppets slagging him off and nobody spending their time on road safety

He doesn't "work hard on road safety", he gets paid to spout while the RSA work on road safety

If he is removed, the RSA will still exist.

Nor has he "given up" his retirement, the man cannot function without the oxygen of publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't get this fixation with hypocracy myself - whether he follows them himself has zero bearing on the accuracy or otherwise of the man's arguments.

It was a very silly thing to do, and I it does call into question his judgement and that of the programme makers. To argue that this somehow undermines the validity of his stance on road safety though, is a nonsense. Play the ball, not the man.

(FWIW, I don't agree with many of his arguments on road safety myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

now that i see the video i think he is wearing it but holding it away with his thumb which isn't the best way to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

This chestnut rears its head again, the complete and utter vilification of Gay Byrne because of his stance for Road Safety.

It's up to the road users to drive safe, it's not Gay's job to make the roads safe. He's clear in his message, but it's incumbent on the drivers to play their part.

Fair enough, lambast him for failing to do what he preaches, but as posted above, it doesn't lessen the message about Road Safety.

I've posted before, there's a young drivers representative on the Board of the RSA. Why has he never, ever, said anything about Road Safety? Why is he not doing what he's supposed to do, to represent young drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

bigpoppa wrote: »
    spending his retirement years trying to save people's lives on the road, lets get rid of the smug git

I wonder have any of you guys ever done anything to help other people? he might just as easy sit back and do nothing but he is trying to make a difference?

perhaps because his occasional nuggets of wisdom on driving safety are surrounded by him spouting nonsense and coming up with hair-brained schemes that make little sense, and never come into being?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

We still have a long way to go on road safety. Yesterday a car drove past my house doing a right little speed with some clown standing up through the sun roof. Is a bit of a racing mecca around roads in the vacinity and is starting to get very irritating to the point that these little boy racers doing it are going to get visited one by one by a local committee

perhaps because his occasional nuggets of wisdom on driving safety are surrounded by him spouting nonsense and coming up with hair-brained schemes that make little sense, and never come into being?

Right, so. Name one "hair-brained" scheme that Gay Byrne has devised?

now that i see the video i think he is wearing it but holding it away with his thumb which isn't the best way to do it

Looks to me like it's more than likely buckled too, angled in his hand. Not really bothered anyway, that crap lads on here have in their sigs about the RSA is the greatest load of arse I've seen anywhere.

Gophur wrote: »
    Right, so. Name one "hair-brained" scheme that Gay Byrne has devised?

Different rules for different genders as goes driver training. Which would be illegal, and which the RSA confirmed to me had been made up by Gay with no consultation and wasn't going to happen - due to it being illegal!

Just one of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Joe Duffy will have to hear about this...

Joe-Duffy_RTE_Feb012009.jpg

Lol....its like RTE pokemon. Ahhhhhh you fight with Gay Byrne and his hipocrasy powers. I will counter with Joe Duffy and his incredible annoyingness. POKEMON GO!!!!!

I've posted before, there's a young drivers representative on the Board of the RSA. Why has he never, ever, said anything about Road Safety? Why is he not doing what he's supposed to do, to represent young drivers?

Maybe he does all the time......whos going to make it to the papers thou - Gay Byrne or some kid.....hmmmm

MYOB wrote: »
    Different rules for different genders as goes driver training. Which would be illegal, and which the RSA confirmed to me had been made up by Gay with no consultation and wasn't going to happen - due to it being illegal!

Just one of many.

One of many? I asked for evidence of any scheme devised by Gaybo. You've given me none, just a vague description of nothing.

L..................
    Maybe he does all the time......whos going to make it to the papers thou - Gay Byrne or some kid.....hmmmm

BS. If he makes a statement, or a contribution, it's out there. Search and find it. I'd bet he has done nothing.

It's Mr McHale you should be lobbying, not getting knickers in a twist over Gaybo. In fairness Gaybo isn't afraid to speak his mind, unlike others who are content to take their fees and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

It sure looks like he's wearing it, pulling the crossover away from centre, might not be the official correct way to wear it but I doubt you'd be getting points from a garda for wearing it that way either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BS. If he makes a statement, or a contribution, it's out there. Search and find it. I'd bet he has done nothing.

Well who is he ? I don't know who he is. You do. You google it and show us.

Well who is he ? I don't know who he is. You do. You google it and show us.

I know who he is, but I don't do requests.

My point is, all the anti-Gaybo brigade have a supposed representative on the Board of the RSA, a representative who is failing to do his job. He, much more so than Gaybo, should be lobbied to do something and ridiculed for doing nothing.

• Advertisement

One of many? I asked for evidence of any scheme devised by Gaybo. You've given me none, just a vague description of nothing.

I've given you a very specific harebrained scheme devised by Gay Byrne - his suggestion that there should be different driver training paths for different genders. I made this very clear. This was a scheme solely devised by him, unimplementable due to its illegality.

If thats a "vague description of nothing" to you, I suspect you may want to get those things blocking your eyesight removed, I believe they're called blinkers.

Advertisement