Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toy Drops?

• 05-11-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Said I'd drop (no pun intended) a quick thread here, in case this is happening again this year. And to volunteer again*, of course :)

So, I'm available to purchase and/or distribute a set amount of non fluffy toys (for those who don't know, hospitals can't accept cuddly stuff due to health reasons) in Cork/Waterford, together with anyone else who may be able to join me and the wife. Large spanking new transit hi-roof available, so space not an issue.

(*Along with junkyard, and ned78-we did the Cork drop two years ago, unfortunately that didn't happen last year, but hopefully we can make up for that this time around!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I may be available for Cork/Waterford/Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I should be available for Waterford drops most of the time. For longer haul ones, I might need a bit of advance notice but would be happy to help if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I don't have any transport but I'm available if anyone in Dublin needs a hand. I live in the city center. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm available in Cork too for drops Rev, just like old times - without the Eddie Rockets!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, cool. What I *really* need , are targets. Here's the deal:

1. residential or somewhat residential childrens charities.

2. Capable of taking the "gifts" and using them over the entire year preferably (ie: we dont usually give individual kids specific "gifts"... its more about buying something recreational for the charities.

3. A list of "recreational stuff" they need. It doesnt even have to be open at xmas, we deliver stuff right up to March believe it or not. Our definition of "recreational stuff" is very wide... just about anything that improves the "quality of life" for the kids and isnt medical will probably fly. To put it in context, I find it hard to give away all the stuff the money can buy so I'm very flexible :)

If you can find targets like that, we can plan to hit them.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Cheers, Tom. I'll do a bit of digging Lee/Suirside (regionally speaking) over the next few days and come up with a few options for you.

Off the top of my head CUH (the primary hospital in Cork) comes to mind once more.

I think that this time around though-wherever we drop the goods, we should accompany them with some sort of flier or something. I was met the last time with bewildered, although very grateful staff where we visited, despite explanation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had one nurse almost break into tears in the Mercy Hospital in Cork. They'd clearly made an effort themselves to bring some festive cheer to the ward, decorations, Santa hats, music, Christmas trees, cards, so our contribution was (IMHO) gratefully received as the cherry on top of the cake. I saw one little guy's eyes light up from his bed when he saw the toys.

I'd love to do a drop again at the Mercy if possible. They seem to be on the same page as us!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Terrific, thats what we want to hear!!

Rev, Barretstown got a state of the art computer and printer, cameras and scanner one year, all brand new and top of the line. We left it for them on the door step, they came out, examined it, and phoned the police. The presumed it was stolen and left to them by someone with a troubled conscience :):)

Luckily enough, the cops told them to keep it! (and we mailed them afterwards :) )

That shock of "what the..?", bewilderment and looks of joy is *exactly* what the SSF is about. :):)

So, cool, we have two targets there now (I presume CUH and Mercy are different hospitals?)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

They are indeed. I'd guess the Ardkeen in Waterford would be another option :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

How about Enable Ireland ? they do work for kids with Cerebral Palsy

http://www.enableireland.ie/about

They can tell you excatly what they need.;

Scouting ireland is also a registered charity :)

• Advertisement

The scouts are hardly sick :)

Does Enable Ireland have location that the gifts can reside in? (Suppose we got them an xbox ... where is it going to reside? we need somewhere which has a communal area for kids).

DeV.

Actually Enable Ireland looks great! Do you know anyone on the inside AS? We could do with a list of "things they could use in their locations" kinda like a Santa Wish List... that has worked very well for us in the past...

f*ck you know what... thats just given me a mad good idea for next year....

This entire process could be automated by creating a wish list system and simply exposing that to the public and let the public act as "Santa". Ok, I'll put that in the back of my head, for this year though... we could really do with knowing what these people would want if they could "ask Santa".

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

free in galway for any drops or anything..let me know.enable ireland have respite homes where there are common recreational rooms so they could use the stuff there

I must ask my Dad if he can think of any in Waterford. He would have worked with a lot of charities in town. I know Children's Group Link is a local children's charity anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm putting a word in again for RehabCare and the Children's Sunshine Home/LauraLynn House.

If you're interested I can contact the RehabCare guys again and see if there's anything they need/want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Enable Ireland

Hi,

Just to let you know - I think this is a lovely project.

Just for your own information, we (Enable Ireland) have a pre school, school, centre (where children with disabilities would come for therapy appointments, that would also have family and sibling rooms), and respite locations in Cork that would benefit greatly from your generosity.

If you'd like more details, please feel to contact me on communications@enableireland.ie

Thanks

Aghna

*boom*... headshot... :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

How about Saplings. I'm not involved but a workmate has his autistic son there and there are two kids in my kids school along with a dedicated SNA from there. They do fantastic work. I could get in touch and see what they need if that helps.

Brillian Macros, if you could inquire and see what kind of entertainment/quality-of-life stuff they could use that would be brilliant.

DeV.

Will do - I'll speak to my workmate this morning and either get him to ask or get a name to speak to. I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

I just spoke with the secretary of Saplings - the manager is off today. She'll speak to the manager tomorrow and they'll do up a wish list. I'll send that to you when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a place in Celbridge, Co. Kildare called "St Raphael's" (also known as St Raphael's Hospital), which is ran by St. John of God. It's a "a home for intellectually disabled boys". They're a registered charity (number: CHY3822) and they can be contacted at donations@sjog.ie

How are we coming along with this Dev? Have you got a few good targets in each area?

DeVore wrote: »
    Brillian Macros, if you could inquire and see what kind of entertainment/quality-of-life stuff they could use that would be brilliant.

DeV.

Just PM-ed you Saplings' wishlist.

nKay.... we can always fit in more!!

Macros, thanks...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hi DeVore, I am just getting my head around all this, am I correct in saying that if I can supply you with a list of 'recreational equipement' needs from a worthy childrens facility then there is a chance SSF can source some or all. I live in Sligo and really like the idea of helping out in some way in my local area and there are many Sligo Boardsies who would help with any logistics.

I am thinking of two places, one a special needs school and the other, well I guess a bigger special needs school. ??

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bumblebeedee

Hi there.. I'm a volunteer with SVP and we organised a kids party today. Luckily, we were fortunate enought to have received a huge amount of donations of toys and gifts... and we have many left over, for all age groups. Is there anywhere we could drop these? we can arrange drop-off... We'd hate to see the toys not given to kids before christmas... thanks!

We dont have the space to accept toy donation. :(

hit went in on enable ireland over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bumblebeedee

Thanks DeVore.. I've left messages today with a few different charities...hopefully 1 will be interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement