Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Meno i would have thought doing that many miles on Thursday 2 days before your 5k to be counter productive, no:confused: Best of luck the weekend and have a good craic at it, i can see a low 19:xx and maybe a bit more if the conditions turn right for you.

You're most likely right but I never really thought about it. 10 miles of easy running doesn't take much out of me, it's doing the fast bits that was a bad idea. I hope it's nothing but I just got a twinge in my left calf walking down the stairs. Hopefully it's just mini-taper madness :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Meno i would have thought doing that many miles on Thursday 2 days before your 5k to be counter productive, no:confused: Best of luck the weekend and have a good craic at it, i can see a low 19:xx and maybe a bit more if the conditions turn right for you.
    Exactly what i thought, makwe sure you do a decent warm up before the 5k. No second chances, its over in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So whats the update? Will you risk it if its still sore?

Pulled my left calf walking into the bathroom 10 days before Edinburgh last year so tis easily done. However doing 10 miles 2 days before a 'goal' race was a bit daft.

chinguetti wrote: »
    So whats the update? Will you risk it if its still sore?

Pulled my left calf walking into the bathroom 10 days before Edinburgh last year so tis easily done. However doing 10 miles 2 days before a 'goal' race was a bit daft.

I haven't pulled a muscle. It's more like I have a knot in it. I have been over it with 'the stick' for the last hour and it feels pretty bruised. I'll be dousing it with deep heat tonight and hoping for the best in the morning. I'm gonna do a warm up with strides just before the race and I'll literally be deciding on the start line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck tomorrow; hope you hit your target PB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

best of luck tomorrow, looking forward to the race report already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

menoscemo wrote: »
    I haven't pulled a muscle. It's more like I have a knot in it. I have been over it with 'the stick' for the last hour and it feels pretty bruised. I'll be dousing it with deep heat tonight and hoping for the best in the morning. I'm gonna do a warm up with strides just before the race and I'll literally be deciding on the start line.

Just watch those knots they can because a pull or worse when you go through the gears with 400m to go. A nice long long warmup tomorrow beofre you do strides should see you ok.

best of luck

shels4ever wrote: »
    Just watch those knots they can because a pull or worse when you go through the gears with 400m to go. A nice long long warmup tomorrow beofre you do strides should see you ok.

best of luck

Thanks, If I've still got gears to go through with 400m to go I'll be a happy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

If you decide to go for it tommorrow, all the best for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck with the sub 19 attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Heart rate nice and low (134) but the legs felt quite tired and a bit sore. There'll be just easy runs the rest of the week before Donore. I'll probably just jog around Maraly tomorrow while the b0ys are doing mile reps.
    8:46 av. Went down with Woddle shark tale and the boys to Marlay. They were doing 6x 1 mile reps, but Gerard65 and I went off for a few easy miles. I then ended up roping myself into one of Woddles reps. We were doing 7:15 pace which felt fine, but I found myself about 25 seconds behind the group in front so went off chasing them for the last .4 mile and ended up doing 5:40 pace for the rest of the mile to catch them. Felt the legs really tight after that so just did the rest of the miles easy. I really need to learn some discipline- the legs feel very stiff and heavy now. Hopefully the wind has died down by saturday.

good luck with your PB attempt tomorrow but you've done yourself no favors this week.

good luck with your PB attempt tomorrow but you've done yourself no favors this week.

Yeah, I actually got the injury going down the stairs on Friday morning in work. Calf just tightened up. I take your point though...

Got dressed and all for racing this morning and went down and collected the number. Had a little jog and could feel the calf. Tried a few strides and they felt fine but I could feel a bit of pain when I stopped.

Decided to give the race a miss as a result and am booked into the physio on monday. It is probably nothing serious but I have too many things coming up that I don't want to miss (starting with pacing the Cork Marathon next weekend). so I feel I took for the sensible option. I'm now looking at another 5k in about a fortnight if I get the green Light from the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Sensible option Meno.... Ur in great shape atm so 1 week of taking it easy will do u no harm whatsoever....

wise decision, not worth risking a serious injury. I'd rather you than me going to CF for physio on your calf. Just getting a rub down from him lifts my calfs out of it. Has made me cry a number of times, enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi meno
    This is the race I was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi meno

That's a great race-
    Course is relatively flat except for a small uphill at around 1.5km- I pbed in it last summer and if all goes well I'll be hoping for similar in a few weeks.
    A fab bbq and party afterwards
    Only issue with last years race were the numbers that turned up on the night to register coupled with mass letting out meant that the start was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Well done on your decision not to risk injury running today.
    While I was running this morning I was thinking about the 6:07 pace you'd have needed. I've a new respect for what 6:07 pace is all about after working my lungs at 7:06 pace today. Definitely very wise of you not to have risked it.

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi meno

Perfect. Count me in. We'll talk later about car pooling. RK is interested too. Gonna be nice to run an evening race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you feel better soon.

After 3 days of no running, I went to the Physio this morning. I was a little apprehensive before going as I felt nothing in my calf either today or yesterday so was feeling like a bit of a mug for missing the race. I was therefore almost happy when he found a great big knot in my calf muscle and sadistically enjoyed the pain as he ironed it out.

Diagnosis: only easy running for the next 3 days and preferably on grass. Test the water R.E. speedwork on thursday/friday.

Grand, not so bad. Got out this evening for a very easy run:

5.3 miles
    @ 8'35 pace (138 av HR). Wore the big clunky Adidas Response and ran on grass to minimise impact. Nice to see the HR so low for the pace.

WTD 1 run 5.3 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|24/30|193.5
    Total|115/140|1085.3

Will go to the track tomorrow but will just run 6.5 miles of easy laps to make up the 200 for the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good to hear that its nothing serious.

Any chance that you'ld pass on the speed work for this week for just the novelty of it all? Maybe your body is telling you that it would like a rest?

However i guess that this suggestion may well be scoffed at.

6.5 miles on a hard track won't be kind to your calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Pity you missed the race, hope you get yourself sorted for Cork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nor will nearly 12 miles in two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

If you want an incentive to make a good decision and stay away from the track tonight, I can almost guarantee you that I won’t be there… ;)

claralara wrote: »
    If you want an incentive to make a good decision and stay away from the track tonight, I can almost guarantee you that I won’t be there… ;)

Is Digger or anyone going? obviously if no-one is going I won't be there. let me know closer the time.

Is Digger or anyone going? obviously if no-one is going I won't be there. let me know closer the time.

I wont be going, I'm heading to Dunboyne for the 5M. Think I need a good kick up the arse at the moment to HTFU. Racing back to the clubhouse before the hot water is all gone should be the incentive I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Aimman wrote: »
    Think I need a good **ck up the arse at the moment to HTFU. Racing back to the clubhouse to shower with a load of men should be the incentive I need

FYP :D

FYP :D

Damn, I've been rumbled. Knew it would be out in the open eventually. Ah well, I suppose I'll be banned from the men's showers now, I'll just have to use the female changing rooms in future. :cool:

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Good to hear that its nothing serious.

Any chance that you'ld pass on the speed work for this week for just the novelty of it all? Maybe your body is telling you that it would like a rest?

However i guess that this suggestion may well be scoffed at.

I'll play it by ear. Everything feels fine at the moment but any doubt and I'll leave the speed stuff off till at least saturday
    I would have thought a tartan track is one of the softest surfaces to run on?
    Aimman wrote: »
    Pity you missed the race, hope you get yourself sorted for Cork.

I'll be fine for cork, no worries.

This evening

5miles very very easy (pace 9:10) My av HR (131) was my lowest ever for a run I think. Nobody else was up for the track tonight anyway so I did a big outer loop of Tymon mostly over grass. Funny I don't usually run on grass and find it tough on the legs. The bits I ran on paths I found much much easier.
    I Got a lap done at 5 miles and realised I couldn't be bothered running another mile and half just to make up 200 miles for the month so called it a day.

WTD 2 runs 10.3 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    Total|122/151|1090.3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement