Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Cycling Achievements

• 05-04-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm on a bit of a cycling high at the moment and thought it would be a great idea to have a thread for newbies to post their cycling acheivements, whether it be their first spin, longest spin, fastest spin, making it up a hill they hadn't managed before, first ride with clipless pedals, learning to ride while drinking from a drink bottle...the list could go on and on.

So my newbie acheivement is that I made it up Corkscrew hill in the Burren this evening!:D I stopped at the near the hotel to take a photo of the sign and then was able to make it to the first lookout. Stopped at the lookout for a few minutes to take a few photos, have a drink (& get my breath back:o) and then hopped back on the bike and continued onto Lisdoonvarna, then down to Fenore and back to Ballyvaughan. I didn't need the stop at the sign at the time, but without it I don't know if I would have made it to the first lookout. Am so delighted and will be back in the area next Fri so planning on giving it another crack!

So what other newbie acheivements are there?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think it's a great idea for a thread.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Got shoes and pedals with my new bike last week and have been using them since they are amazing no going back now

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Good thread idea!
    I did a 35k round trip (ie 70k) to work last week in heavy traffic and didn't die :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If less than a year in the saddle still counts as being a newbie then I'm sort of proud of the below :)

Last Sunday me and a mate of mine did our first 100k+ (106KM to be precise) in the Wicklow mountains on our MTBs. The route went from Rathfarnham up to Cruah, then up the Sally Gap (Luggala descent is mad), down to Laragh and Glendalough. From there we went back to Sally Gap (the crossroads that is) taking some pictures at Glenmacnas waterfall and a second time down Luggala, then through Ballinastoe to Enniskerry and back to Rathfranham.

Was quite happy to average a bit over 25km/h and having climbed 1735m in total

The initial plan was to do also the Devil's Elbow after Enniskerry but that quickly changed after the second visit to the Sally Gap crossroads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

riding up col de la biche and col de la grand tourmalet in 2010 (watch the tour this year), shame my backs fooo................ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

I started last July after a 34 year gap from cycling. Bought a hybrid and started doing a route near my home. I am a creature of habit and I stick to this route. It is uphill mostly on the way out and, obviously, downhill mostly on way back. I set my milestones at 10k, 16k and 23k. I have stretched out to 29k. All roundtrip distances. I have completed over 1000km in 4-5 months of fair weather cycling. Biggest problem is the sore arse. I am wearing two pairs padded leggings/shorts on a gel cover on a Lidl soft saddle. Still max out at about 90minutes. Not getting slimmer but probably healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Fatbiker wrote: »
    I started last July after a 34 year gap from cycling. Bought a hybrid and started doing a route near my home. I am a creature of habit and I stick to this route. It is uphill mostly on the way out and, obviously, downhill mostly on way back. I set my milestones at 10k, 16k and 23k. I have stretched out to 29k. All roundtrip distances. I have completed over 1000km in 4-5 months of fair weather cycling. Biggest problem is the sore arse. I am wearing two pairs padded leggings/shorts on a gel cover on a Lidl soft saddle. Still max out at about 90minutes. Not getting slimmer but probably healthier.

If you've been cycling for a while now and the saddle is still giving you grief, maybe look at trying some different saddles or look at getting a bike fit done. I have just had my bike fit done and it has already made a huge difference to my comfort level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Love this thread! Have already broken 50km, so will post here when I make 60 or fully complete a cycle from Harold's X to the top of Howth and back. Clipless pedals should be on my bike in the next few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

Definitely a noob here still, only started back seriously at the end of Jan so was delighted to be able to complete an 85KM tour around Connemara last weekend.

http://app.strava.com/rides/5980153

When I was planning the route I forgot to include the last 5KM out to where we were staying on the Sky Road, thank God for the granny gear:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

have successfully convinced the wife I really do need to upgrade the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

nilhg wrote: »
    Definitely a noob here still, only started back seriously at the end of Jan so was delighted to be able to complete an 85KM tour around Connemara last weekend.

http://app.strava.com/rides/5980153

When I was planning the route I forgot to include the last 5KM out to where we were staying on the Sky Road, thank God for the granny gear:o

Read your Tr log today and after this solo spin you will be ready for any event you want later in the year.
    Know the roads well and if you stepping up to further in an event where you can get into a group you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jumpgun

Started cycling in September. I have lost 11kg, joined a club Leisurecycling.ie
    and cycled the lap of laoise a few week ago 100km. Now for a new bike:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jjcahill78

Just started cycling 3 weeks ago. Im about 21 stone, so Im just getting over the self concious stuff at the minute. I have done 15k twice this week all ready and Im hoping to try 22k next week. My bike is crap, gears keep slipping, terrible brakes and big chunky tyres but I am enjoying it so far. Would love a decent road bike. Im aiming for the Sean Kelly 50k in August, hopefully a bargain will have dropped on my lap by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

started last september on hybrid. switched to road bike in mid december. my 'records' so far are: total of 500km in one month (last month) and 26avg speed over 30km route (I'm old female rider lol). can't wait for weather to improve to set some new records :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Started cycling last summer for an hour in the evening on a 100 euro mountain bike....weighted 18stone.....now commute 38km round trip 3/4 times a week on a hybrid and weight 14 stone 7lb...and have booked a 3 week cycle touring trip from Bordeaux to Barcelona in august....also bought a surly long haul trucker yesterday...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I got a cheque from a the driver who knocked me down, squashed my bike and drove off! Will cover the cost of the damage done to my bike but not the cost of the two gardai required to obtain it. Nonetheless I was well pleased when I opened the letter this morning:)

del88 wrote: »
    a surly long haul trucker yesterday...:D:D

Lovely bike, I have one on the list, enjoy!

jjcahill78 wrote: »
    Just started cycling 3 weeks ago. Im about 21 stone, so Im just getting over the self concious stuff at the minute. I have done 15k twice this week all ready and Im hoping to try 22k next week. My bike is crap, gears keep slipping, terrible brakes and big chunky tyres but I am enjoying it so far. Would love a decent road bike. Im aiming for the Sean Kelly 50k in August, hopefully a bargain will have dropped on my lap by then.

Sounds like it needs a quick service to fix the gears and brakes? If you don't know how to do it yourself, there's loads of videos on youtube or a good bike shop won't charge a whole lot to do it. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jjcahill78

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Sounds like it needs a quick service to fix the gears and brakes? If you don't know how to do it yourself, there's loads of videos on youtube or a good bike shop won't charge a whole lot to do it. Where are you based?

Just fixed the brakes this morning, wasnt a big job but the gears keep slipping on certain cogs. I think they need replacing. I dont want to spend money on it as Im saving for a road bike but will probably have to get someone to look at it. Thanks for the advice, I will check out youtube this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

Started cycling last summer for an hour in the evening on a 100 euro mountain bike....weighted 18stone.....now commute 38km round trip 3/4 times a week on a hybrid and weight 14 stone 7lb...and have booked a 3 week cycle touring trip from Bordeaux to Barcelona in august....also bought a surly long haul trucker yesterday...:D:D
    Did you buy it new? If so, where?

• Advertisement

jjcahill78 wrote: »
    Just fixed the brakes this morning, wasnt a big job but the gears keep slipping on certain cogs. I think they need replacing. I dont want to spend money on it as Im saving for a road bike but will probably have to get someone to look at it. Thanks for the advice, I will check out youtube this evening.

If it's new, bring it back to where ever you got it:)

If it's old and had a bit of use you can service it yourself easy enough. Its likely that the chain is slipping on the rear set of cogs. Start by giving it a good clean and checking that each link in the chain can move freely. Have a look at the derrailleur and make sure all the bits that are supposed to move can do so freely - each jockey wheel should rotate freely and it should be easy enough to straighten the whole unit out slightly. It shouldn't move relative to the frame, just the lower bits of should be able to move. Make sure nothing is stuck in rear derrailleur or the cogs. If that doesn't fix it then have a look at some of the videos on youtube or have a read of some of the more detailed information on park tools before having a go at adjusting the cable. You can't really break it, you might make it a tad worse before you get it right but a bit of patience and you'll have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1gSwhsVN8

If it's old and it's gotten a bit of use, then maybe the back cog and chain need replacing, as you say. You should replace both together and it's not hard but you might need to buy a special tool to get the cogs off and another to join the chain together.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

Damn you! You're living my fantasy life:D

Seriously, well done! I'm trying to pluck up the courage to tackle a long cycle. Fancy a touring bike like the Surly.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Completed my first 50k cycle today.:) Been at this for about a month now, doing 30-40k cycles each saturday and sunday - finally getting fit!

Does anyone else get lower back pain when going up steep hills? I'm doing something wrong but changing position doesn't seem to help.

Definitely need a road bike tho, cycling a Rockhopper with tyres like tractors :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Hello , I'm a new road bike user and am currently cycling around howth head three or four times a week ,round 40k trip from home.
    I'm so unfit that I'm completely out of breath doing it ,but never thought I could a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Surinam wrote: »
    Does anyone else get lower back pain when going up steep hills? I'm doing something wrong but changing position doesn't seem to help.

I get back pain when I'm trying too hard :D Going gear or two down usually helps. I ignored it today though when trying to set my new top speed. I was flying at 59.8km/h, tried hard but failed to find that xtra 0.2 to make it 60 :( :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Did you buy it new? If so, where?
    Hollingsworth cycles in templeouge can get them in....they have 1in stock....looking forward to getting it...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

j@utis wrote: »
    I get back pain when I'm trying too hard :D Going gear or two down usually helps. I ignored it today though when trying to set my new top speed. I was flying at 59.8km/h, tried hard but failed to find that xtra 0.2 to make it 60 :( :rolleyes:

I'll try going lower gear in future. Congrats on getting to that speed even if you didn't make it to 60 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Just about 12 months on the bike. I'm going on my first ever tour next week, it will be in ireland but, if it goes well I've big plans for the summer! I reckon it'll be about 500km over 5 to 6 days. I am really looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Donelson wrote: »
    Just about 12 months on the bike. I'm going on my first ever tour next week, it will be in ireland but, if it goes well I've big plans for the summer! I reckon it'll be about 500km over 5 to 6 days. I am really looking forward to it :)

Sounds fantastic - what places are you visiting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Heading from new ross to longford, galway, limerick, waterford new ross, I've nothing booked, so it's no biggy if I have to change my plans, I'm just going to escape on the bike for a couple of days. :)

Advertisement