Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worried; Hospital cant book me for Induction until I'm 21 days overdue!!??

• 29-12-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello,

I just got back from an anti-natal appointment. I was due on the 23rd Dec and the hospital are fully booked up for inductions until the 13th of January; I will be 21 days overdue by then!

I am very worried as this is unsafe for baby and am wondering if I should ask to be changed to a different hospital but unsure if that is possible at such a late stage of my pregnancy. I am also in doubt about the trustworthiness of the hospital if they are willing to let me go that far?

I had a sweep done today and am 2cm dilated but this is my 2nd child so that doesnt mean I will def go anytime soon.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

That's outrageous. NO idea what you can do, try natural remedies like raspberry tea, sex and hot curry, if all else fails if it were me i would plonk myself inside admissions at 10-14 days overdue and refuse to move until they gave me an induction.

Depends how deeply you feel about being over due, if you are really concerned talk to them, phone them up and tell them your concerns, speak to your gp about your concerns and force their hand.

Tell them that if you havent had your baby by such date that you will plonk yourself inside admissions until they induce you.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

You are only 4 days overdue as it is so there is still a good chance baby could come naturally, especially with you bring 2cm already. Hopefully the sweep today might help move things along also. As said above, lots of hot curries, long walks and sex ;) I have heard bouncing on an exercise/birth ball can help too.

In some countries it is standard to let women go to 42 weeks before they will even consider inducing. Have a read of this post, I found it interesting when I was over with my little girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

As you know there are risk associated with going over due by too long and 21 days is just not on. I'd be asking to speak to the master of the hospital about this. They have had you on file since you were about 8 weeks pregnant at the latest I assume so it's not like you're coming in as a surprise birth.

You could go before you go 14 days over but I'd definitely be pushing to get an induction date for sooner than 21 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Wow Fee no wonder you are worried, that sounds ridiculous. The clinic I'm due to give birth in will only let you go one week overdue before inducing.

I would take the advice of the other posters and try the "home remedies" to induce a natural birth, and if you get to 10/14 days over, stage a sit in in admissions. Stick to your guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

worth a try http://www.facebook.com/gentlebirth?sk=app_135607783795
    the full programme is brill, so for 8€ i'd give this a shot

• Advertisement

How does this help induce labour??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

As someone who fought against induction on my first pregnancy (I wanted to be let go as long as possible), I'd be VERY concerned if I was let go to 21 days over - as the other posters have said, 42 weeks is acceptable, 43 is shown to carry significantly higher risk.

Although it is likely you'll go yourself, I wouldn't count on it or rely on home remedies. You should not be stressed at this point of your pregnancy and need further information from them, even if just for the making of your own birth plan. Go see your GP, ask for a second opinion from another consultant, arm yourself with the facts and make sure you get the best possible care. If they really cannot get you in for an induction before 42 weeks, how do they propose to monitor your progress? Will you be brought in for daily checks (blood pressure, ultrasound for fluid levels, fetal heart rate monitoring etc)? What can they do to ensure going past 42 weeks will not harm you or your baby?

In my experience of the health services, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Speak up for yourself, demand appropriate care and you will be given it. Even it IS more than likely you'll go yourself before it becomes an issue, for your own peace of mind you need a plan in place.

These MP3s help relax and prepare for bith, IMHO and in my experience, twice in my experience.
    Induction MP3
    As you approach the end of your pregnancy you’re probably very excited to meet your baby and eager to begin the next phase in your life. This Mp3 is designed to help prime mind and body for a positive induction experience in the 3-4 days leading up to a chemical induction and during induction.
    or
    The Positive Birth Preparation Mp3 is one of our most popular items.

As you practice at home you'll find that you can easily tune out distractions and remain calm and focused - even in a busy hospital. Pregnancy insomnia becomes a thing of the past!

The Positive Birth Preparation Mp3 includes 4 tracks:

Introduction to GentleBirth

Affirmations for a Positive Hospital Birth

Visualisation, Imagery and Relaxation for your hospital birth.

Music for birth.
    I would not be worried to be honest. The hospital will attend to you if you labor spontaneously - and you are highly likely to do so - they will attend to you if there is ANY sign the baby needs attention.
    The date for induction is not important, as if there is ANY sign at all that you or your baby needs intervention your hospital will give it.
    RELAX, you will have a longer wait you are stressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

So they don't help induce labour then. Out of curiosity do you have any involvement with these CDs?

What's that about not giving birth if you're stressed? Birth will happen regardless as far as I know. Reducing stress will help with the birth is what I'm sure you meant. :)

Orion wrote: »
    So they don't help induce labour then. Out of curiosity do you have any involvement with these CDs?

What's that about not giving birth if you're stressed? Birth will happen regardless as far as I know. Reducing stress will help with the birth is what I'm sure you meant. :)
    the only involvement i have is that i successfully used the full gentle birth programme twice for my last 2 births. i am currently using the breastfeeding tracks to relax and help sleep. I have recommended the programme to many people and I know at least 3 others personally who have used the programme for labor successfully.
    Self-hypnosis works in many areas. my experience is that using the tracks help labor get started, progress faster and more naturally and i believe this is because you relax so completely, but that is just my opinion and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Please keep the thread on topic and gentle birth cds are not on topic.

Op - I would be seriously concerned. Talk to your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

That's crazy!
    I was let go 17 days before being induced and even then it was after kicking up a fuss... my only regret is that I didn't shout sooner.
    If I was in that position again I'd be parking my bum in the hospital and refusing to leave, thats such a long time to be overdue and it really is far from ideal.
    I reckon if you went into the hospital even saying you'd had slight contractions they'd probably keep you in once you're so overdue anyway. ;)

Would love to know if you're going to the same place as I went!

lynski wrote: »
    These MP3s help relax and prepare for bith, IMHO and in my experience, twice in my experience.
    Induction MP3

or

I would not be worried to be honest. The hospital will attend to you if you labor spontaneously - and you are highly likely to do so - they will attend to you if there is ANY sign the baby needs attention.
    The date for induction is not important, as if there is ANY sign at all that you or your baby needs intervention your hospital will give it.
    RELAX, you will have a longer wait you are stressed.

The problem with giving birth past 42 weeks is that the placenta can stop functioning. OP doesn't need the extra stress on top of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

OP hasn't replied in a couple of days, hope that's a good sign!

TBH after 2 children I didn't know that it was possible to be 2cm dilated and not be in labour :-o. After 12 hours of labour on my first I was still only 1cm!!! Hence section.

Hope all goes well for you OP, we're all waiting to hear good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Oh dear... Thats is absolutly ridiculas hun... 21 days haven't we to go through enough already instead of another 21 days..... go to your GP I would not have that now..

I hope you go yourself soon though..I can't wait for my due date to get back to my normal self!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Just seen this thread, how are you fee? did you have any luck with the hospital getting a sooner date for induction?

That is disgraceful that due to the hospital being too busy they are leaving you wait so long, as was pointed out, it's not a surprise, they knew months ago you would be due around now :(

Hope you're ok and that the lack of posts is a good sign x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fee123

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies :).

It turns out as I was writing the post that day I was already in labour! I had a sweep done and had been cramping because of this - or so I thought!

Literally just got in the hospital doors on time to push lol they had no choice but to take me then! I had a beautiful healthy baby girl.

Liliq - I was going to a hospital in Ballinasloe in Galway was this where u went?

Lynski- I had the gentle birth CD and found it good for helping me get to sleep at night during the pregnancy but it definitely didn't make for a gentle birth in my case but in saying that active labour and delivery happened very quickly for me so didn't really have the time to try relax into it.

Thanks again for your replies, I was very worried and had planned to take the advice of plonking myself in there on day 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Congrats on the birth of your baby girl! I'm glad it didn't come to the sit in in the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Fantastic news!!
    Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Congrats. Delighted all went well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Massive congratulations on your safe birth Fee123! I'm so glad you didn't have to stress further about being induced so far past your due date.
    Hope mum and baby are keeping well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Delighted all turned out well! congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl, hope you and baby are both well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats Fee123! Was wondering what had happened to you, delighted it went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Ahh congradulations (im teary ha)... delighted it all worked out for you :) Best of Luck for the future.. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congratulations :)

Advertisement