Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Can someone tell me how he's been chairman for so long? Who keeps putting him there and allowing him to stay there? O_o

He's only there since 2009 I'm fairly sure. Pat Flynn appointed Davy and think he gave him the 2 year deal at the end of '08. Cunningham came in then, and I felt he had the opportunity to get rid of Davy after 2009 but that didn't happen.

When I heard about the Rhythm fest the idea didn't appeal to me at all. It's true that outside of Bressie, Jedward and The High Kings I hadn't heard of the rest. The first two are the kind of acts you'd get in Trobolgan, and I never liked the High Kings (didn't help that the first time I heard them was at half time at the all-ireland final in 2008 I guess).

Fraher field is not a venue I'd choose. It's always windy there meaning it's usually cold even when the sun is splitting the rocks elsewhere. Couple that with the bad rain and there was always a risk factor with that. Think the idea of having The High Kings play in Lawlors is more appealing. The thing about a festival is there has to be other attractions there aside from the music and I can't see that there was much in Fraher Field, to confined a space.

It's easy to slate the event in hindsight, there wasn't much talk here of how this was an impending disaster before it happened. What I'd like to know is the extent of organisation that went into it, the market research done and how detailed was the initial plan that led to the idea being accepted.

It's difficult to cultivate large amounts of revenue these days from these sort of festivals as there are so many going on around the Country. There's festivals in Wexford, Kilkenny, Clonmel and Cork so that's stiff competition from neighbouring Counties. In the event of loss this big it is apparent that mistakes were made an some things were done wrong or things that should have been done weren't done it all. Of course it is.

I would just like to know how impressive was the idea in the beginning as a business plan? Was it actually a viable fundraiser or was a loss always on the cards? Most importantly, how much evidence was provided to support the idea that this had the potential to be a success? Was it backed by a solid strategy or did everyone just decide it was a good idea without loooking at the logistics of it? I'll probably never have those questions answered though.

The disappointing aspect of this is that this money has, in essence, been speculated away. 50,000. Terrible when you think of the players on the football panel who have had issues with expenses. Earlier in the year, some of the hurling panle weren't even getting there expenses. That's an unprecedented situation, and really gives you an idea of how bad things must be financially. As this attempted fundraiser has only added to the Board's debt, I wonder what measures we face to try and recoup what's lost? Where to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I would just like to know how impressive was the idea in the beginning as a business plan? Was it actually a viable fundraiser or was a loss always on the cards? Most importantly, how much evidence was provided to support the idea that this had the potential to be a success? Was it backed by a solid strategy or did everyone just decide it was a good idea without loooking at the logistics of it? I'll probably never have those questions answered though.
    The most worrying thing I've read was the chairman's comment "On this occasion we hoped to run it on a break-even basis and set the trend for future years. But we did succeed in providing customer satisfaction."

So it looks from the very outset the best they were hoping for (for this year anyway) was to break even - now how is that supposed to be a fundraiser? They would be better off running things like table quizzes that make a couple of hundred Euro, without all the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

The most worrying thing I've read was the chairman's comment "On this occasion we hoped to run it on a break-even basis and set the trend for future years. But we did succeed in providing customer satisfaction."

So it looks from the very outset the best they were hoping for (for this year anyway) was to break even - now how is that supposed to be a fundraiser? They would be better off running things like table quizzes that make a couple of hundred Euro, without all the risk.

That's not unusual, these events never make money in the first year, even basic research into festival/events would have shown that.

On another topic, on TIPP FM last night Sean Walsh the chairman of the Munster Council was interviewed about the decision to play the Munster final in Cork. He stated that during a meeting on the 7th of June waterford asked for a 'sweetner' to play in Thurles if they met Tipp, they were told this was a non runner (they had been told the same thing last year) they then dropped the proposal to play in Thurles. After the semi they wanted to revisit the venue at a meeting on the 25th a vote on which they lost 8-2.

Podcast of interview http://www.tippfm.com/podcasts the show is called extra time -July 2

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

It seems this thread has been needlessly moderated, apparently you can't complain about officials here?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

carter10 wrote: »
    That's not unusual, these events never make money in the first year, even basic research into festival/events would have shown that.

True. Which shows that running it as a fundraiser when theyre already broke is one of the stupidest possible ideas they could have had

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

deisedude wrote: »
    Mod Note: mouthinlad has been banned for persistent trolling and personal abuse

That's music to my ears :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

True. Which shows that running it as a fundraiser when theyre already broke is one of the stupidest possible ideas they could have had

Agreed. Long term initiavites like this that have high levels of risk attached to them are not something you should look at doing when your already in a difficult financial situation. The board can't afford this short term loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

solarith wrote: »
    It seems this thread has been needlessly moderated, apparently you can't complain about officials here?

What do you mean? No post by myself or any other Mod have been edited or deleted and no poster has received any warning for complaining about officials.

The only instance posts about officials will be censored is for personal abuse, scurrilous rumours, trolling or defamatory remarks.

What do you mean? No post by myself or any other Mod have been edited or deleted and no poster has received any warning for complaining about officials.

The only instance posts about officials will be censored is for personal abuse, scurrilous rumours, trolling or defamatory remarks.
    I'm positive there were about 10 posts deleted around 4.45!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

He was uncontested.
    Sepp Blatter of the gaa world ,must say i heard him on wlr this morning and he sounded like he really has not got a clue ,

• Advertisement

Black Suir wrote: »
    Put it this way, a lot of the clubs in Waterford dont give one sh!te what happens. Some of the people that attend the meetings dont anyway. They have become part of the furniture. Clubs dont want to send new people to meetings in case they will hurt Paddy, Johnny and Mick who are representing the club at meetings since the 1960's and shur are'nt they doing a good job anyway. There is also this thing in Waterford once elected to a position within the GAA you are going to serve your five years or as much of it as you want, and when your time is up there will be a game of musical chairs and a few members will swap around the various positions.
    very true sounds like my club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

It's easy to slate the event in hindsight, there wasn't much talk here of how this was an impending disaster before it happened

nail on the head there. all these wise guys have come out of the woodwork all of a sudden once negative news has come back. why didnt ye all lodge objections to the county board if ye were so sure that this disaster was on the cards?

I am baffled at the amount of complete and utter rubbish that has been posted on here today. Like everyone is an expert on Bressie and Jedward all of a sudden. Its nothing got to do with the acts. You could have had a Michael Jackson and Elvis duet and you still wouldnt get a crowd. The country is broke, people dont have money because no one is working. Its the same with the ticket prices for the Intercounty games

The sooner the GAA grasps the reality of whats going on in the real world then they might start to see where their going wrong. There is a recession on at the moment but the GAA big-wigs dont seem to know the meaning of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

i disagree, i think that no body thought this would be a success.. I travel from cork to waterford every week and there is only one roadside sign for it, not enough advertising for an already bad gig... I or nobody else would have said it before hand because they would have been lynched for being a begrudger or negative...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

nail on the head there. all these wise guys have come out of the woodwork all of a sudden once negative news has come back. why didnt ye all lodge objections to the county board if ye were so sure that this disaster was on the cards?

I am baffled at the amount of complete and utter rubbish that has been posted on here today. Like everyone is an expert on Bressie and Jedward all of a sudden. Its nothing got to do with the acts. You could have had a Michael Jackson and Elvis duet and you still wouldnt get a crowd. The country is broke, people dont have money because no one is working. Its the same with the ticket prices for the Intercounty games

The sooner the GAA grasps the reality of whats going on in the real world then they might start to see where their going wrong. There is a recession on at the moment but the GAA big-wigs dont seem to know the meaning of the word.

I didn't comment on it beforehand as I didn't know it was happening...says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Lads, can anyone point me in the right direction of John Mitchel's ground? I have a photoshoot there and unsure of where the ground is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm positive there were about 10 posts deleted around 4.45!

None of which had to do with complaining about officials. Some of the posts deleted go back months and are for breaking an advertising violation.

In future if you have an issue with the moderating of this forum take it to PM with mods.

kensutz wrote: »
    Lads, can anyone point me in the right direction of John Mitchel's ground? I have a photoshoot there and unsure of where the ground is.

come off the main cork road and go into Kilmac village

at the crossroads under the rail bridge keep straight

go towards flahavans mill, keep straight through the cross roads there

swing a left about 1 mile down the road

continue for a mile, it should be around this area

None of which had to do with complaining about officials. Some of the posts deleted go back months and are for breaking an advertising violation.

In future if you have an issue with the moderating of this forum take it to PM with mods.
    No issue, was just reading comments, hit next page and they were all gone without explanation, initially thought I was delirious.

back in your box

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Who would want to be a member of a county board, reading some of the posts here begs the question could any of us do any better. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I see we are plastered all over the papers again for all the wrong reasons. You would never think we are playing in a Munster Final in less than two weeks. The financial situation looks very grim pity we don,t have somebody like J P McManus to give us a dig out. Money is scarce for everyone its very hard to see how this rising dept is going to be cleared. The sad fact about all of this is that it will affect our county efforts as we are trying to make progress, it just seems to be getting harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Who would want to be a member of a county board, reading some of the posts here begs the question could any of us do any better. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I see we are plastered all over the papers again for all the wrong reasons. You would never think we are playing in a Munster Final in less than two weeks. The financial situation looks very grim pity we don,t have somebody like J P McManus to give us a dig out. Money is scarce for everyone its very hard to see how this rising dept is going to be cleared. The sad fact about all of this is that it will affect our county efforts as we are trying to make progress, it just seems to be getting harder.

Do you know any of these individuals who are officers at County Board level? If so, what are their backgrounds? Would they have any relevant management experience in business, director of a company etc?

Money is scarce, and it is a pity that we don't seem to have people in place to manage our finances effectively, or implement a recovery plan. Rather than suggesting myself as a possible alternative, I suggested that opening up these positions to paid professionals might be a more efficient and cost effective approach.

Other charities and voluntary organisations have no problem with appointing skilled professionals and paying them a wage as long as there is a return on investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

The underage structures are going to be hammered & as we all know if we neglect them we are F**k*d.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

The fundraiser being held next monday night in the local bar in dungarvan is actually to buy jerseys for the munster final i kid ye not. These morons have absolutely bankrupt us and will still be left in their positions of authority. Please don't anyone come on here and tell me they're doing their best and doing it for nothing-we all do that in our clubs but we try to put the right people in the right positions in these clubs so as not to have happen what has happened at county board level. Its a disgrace and an old pals act and one fella looking after the next fella so as they're all a cosy cartel. If this happened in an everyday workplace they would be sacked and rightly so but here,we'll give out and give out but the keystone cops will still dining at the top table. GET THESE F**kING FOOLS OUT NOW BEFORE WE'RE TOTALLY DESTROYED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    Do you know any of these individuals who are officers at County Board level? If so, what are their backgrounds? Would they have any relevant management experience in business, director of a company etc?

Money is scarce, and it is a pity that we don't seem to have people in place to manage our finances effectively, or implement a recovery plan. Rather than suggesting myself as a possible alternative, I suggested that opening up these positions to paid professionals might be a more efficient and cost effective approach.

Other charities and voluntary organisations have no problem with appointing skilled professionals and paying them a wage as long as there is a return on investment.

Didn't Timmy O'Keeffe own his own business a few years back. Of the others that are on the County Board Officcer Committee, a number of them brought years of experience into their job with them. But what they are doing now is much bigger than what they did do.

i think it begs the question could any of us do any worse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Lismore 4-13

Dungarvan 1-11

Lismore were way too strong here in this u21 clash tonight. Great displays from Stephen Bennett who scored 2-8 and also from John and Padraig Prendergast.3 Barry's were outstanding here and had Lismore not been very wayward with their shooting the result would have been a lot more conclusive.I counted 14 wides some of them from easy scoring positions. Dungarvan had Kenny Moore sent off for an off the ball incident with 10 mins to go. They're bigger named players never seemed to get going and only Kevin Daly could come out of the game with a lot of credit as he ploughed alone furrow at full back. Colm Curran from frees kept Dungarvan ticking over but really the game was over at halftime as lismore lead by 1-9 to 4pts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

• Registered Users Posts: 37,757 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking to buy tickets for the match in the hyper (Super value) but have a question.

Do super value use Tickets.ie because if they do i dont want to end up with the same covered stand tickets i get offered online (Tickets.ie and Ticketmaster).

afaik The Blackrock end is where all the terraced Waterford fans will be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking to buy tickets for the match in the hyper (Super value) but have a question.

Do super value use Tickets.ie because if they do i dont want to end up with the same covered stand tickets i get offered online (Tickets.ie and Ticketmaster).

afaik The Blackrock end is where all the terraced Waterford fans will be

Yeah they use tickets.ie. I bought my tickets for the tipp - limerick game in supervalu and the screen the girl was using was the exact same as the one I had been on when I looked them up the night before.

It was handy though. Getting the ticket in my hand straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Isn't it great to see how united the GAA community is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement