Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Dungarvan 2-21
    Ballyduff upper 4-9

Big win for Dungarvan and they could easily end up topping the group as the will probably beat passage in the last game,and with Lismore having to play Ballygunner and Abbeyside facing Ballyduff we could have a senario of Dungarvan on 7pts and if Ballygunner and Abbeyside both win we will have 3 teams on 6pts and would come down to scoring averages.
    Heard at this game also that Seanie Barry is doubtful for the minor game against Tipp wens night.He picked up a leg injury against Abbeyside last night.
    I forgot to add i can't remember seeing a goalie scoring 3 goals in a senior championship game before? Take a bow Adrian Power brilliant to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Possibility of Thurles as a Munster Hurling decider venue will be explored in the coming days.

Waterford management will discuss with players on Tuesday to get their views and take if from there.

Any change of venue would require a two thirds majority of the Munster CCC, which would be difficult to get as Cork would oppose it and if Clare and Tipp were to meet in minor final, Clare would opt for Cork as opposed to having Tipp at home.

Thurles would be most Waterford supporters, and I'd imagine players choice, but we're not the most popular at Munster level as a county, so would be difficult to get the votes to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Ya definitely Id prefer Thurles for the Munster final. Best GAA venue for a Munster final by far, should be played there every year, imo. We're used to playing there anyway. Parc ui caoimh dosent have the same atmosphere or vibe about it. Id prefer to go to Limerick than there.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Ya definitely Id prefer Thurles for the Munster final. Best GAA venue for a Munster final by far, should be played there every year, imo. We're used to playing there anyway. Parc ui caoimh dosent have the same atmosphere or vibe about it. Id prefer to go to Limerick than there.

The only thing Pairc Uí Chaoímh is good for is for pissing on IMO. It's great for that but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Very good game today big win for Tipp, they will feel they have another Munster title in the bag and who can argue with them. We will need a big improvement in our performance to compete with Tipperary. Its great to qualify for a Munster Final but if we are beaten again its not going to do our morale any good. All to look forward to and who knows Pairc Ui Chaoimh has been good to us before and it will be the anniversary of that great win over Tipp ten years ago. I'm sure that wont be lost on the Premier also, they will look back at last year and try to repeat that performance. Scully and his panel have their work cut out to try and prevent that happening best of luck to them.

10th anniversary - good point. Maybe we can get Babs to slate us again on the morning of the game to boost the motivation. Unfortunately this is a much better Tipp team who are building a head of steam again. I think our main hope lies in the fact that they may have an eye on september rather than july .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

IMO Kelly should not be on the panel, his attitude is terrible. I watched him on Sunday, even before the game. He looks fitter then he has done in a while, BUT.... his attitude is scandalous.
    First of all, at half time in the Intermediate match, he, like the rest of the senior squad were out in the middle if the pitch, when the 2nd half of the match began, all of the panel, except Kelly, went back into the tunnel. Kelly hung around in front of the Waterford dugout for another few minutes. My question is what business did he have been in front of the Intermediate dugout with the second half of the match after starting?

Secondly and more worringly, when he was substituted, he went to the dugout and took one of the yellow substitute warm up bibs and went over to the sideline and started to watch the game. One of the Waterford officials went over to him, I expect to ask him to go back to the dugout, he refused, shrugged of the official, in a manner that looked like F O.
    The official, then went over to another Waterford official and shook his head pointing back at Kelly. The second official, then approached Kelly, who did not react aggresively this time, and he walked back over to the dugout, then turned around and went back to the touch line !!!

Again, what gave hime the right to take a subs warm up bib in the first place and also he obviously took attention of some of our officials away from the game at a critical time.
    He does not seem to accept any kind of authority, and to be honest I was a little sympathetic to him at the start of the year, when he was in conflict with the manager.

Any player, who cannot follow simple rules or respect the authority of the management, has no business pulling on a county jersey.

Also who let him give an interview after the game on Sunday, apart from a disbuted penalty he offered sweet FA last Sunday.

Omfg, will ye change the record, Kelly is kelly, amd at this stage it won't change. We have a Munster final to look forward to and heads are still picking the bones out of two minor incidents in a game we won 8 days ago. Maybe get behind the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

Here is my quick look back at the past weekend if anyone wants a read.

Good stuff Tom. Ballyduff Upper in serious trouble, without Power they are going to be favourites for relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What would youre team for the final be ???.

Tipp are going to be an unreal experience for the newer lads so id go for some expeienced players to start

1 S O Keefe

2 W Hutchinson
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 R Foley
    6 M Walsh
    7 T Browne

8 K Moran
    9 S Molumphy

10 M Shanahan
    11 S Prendergast
    12 E Kelly

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 T Ryan

Last year massacare in the same venue against the same oppisition will be a motivating factor for us imo.

Hopefully a repeat of last year is not on the cards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Was at the match today. I'm not sure what the capacity of that stadium is but I'd find it scary to imagine much more pr a crowd there. Crushing in the tunnels is a real concern at this stage. Your not allowed stretch your legs for a walk down the tunnel at half time. Tere were lads making people go up to seats to keep it clear.

The worst part was the way the seating was organised. It created chaos. I was in the uncovered stand so I don't know about other areas. On the tickets there was a seat number and a row number. Then in small writing way down the ticket was the block number. The steps had seat numbers in small writing on them instead of a row number. People were left standing in the middle stranded not having a clue where to go. The stewards weren't much help at all :(

I may be biased but I really hope it's moved. I think everyone bar cork wants it moved really. There shouldn't be any match played in that place. My knees are killing me after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

De La Salle 4-23 Roanmore 0-09. God help Dunhill.

Dungarvan led by 9 points in the other game about 5 minutes ago, under 10 mins left at this stage.

Something I noticed in the Observer and that has been confirmed by the Waterford GAA website is that the East and West u21 Hurling championships are due to commence on the 4th of July. On the same day, the county minor hurling championships are also supposed to start. A calamity waiting to happen.

I know it has been said before, but this again highlights the need for a re-organisation of our championship structures. DLS won the game against Tallow by 23 points, Roanmore game by 26 points and chances are they could go and put 30 points on Dunhill if they keep going like that. This does no good to any of the teams involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Omfg, will ye change the record, Kelly is kelly, amd at this stage it won't change. We have a Munster final to look forward to and heads are still picking the bones out of two minor incidents in a game we won 8 days ago. Maybe get behind the lads

i agree this should be renamed the Bash Waterford Senior player Thread....

it's getting old now lads... can we talk about important things like championship hurling. and stop bashing our players,the amount of time and effort every single one of them put in to training.and they play to the best of thier ability..if ye think ye can do any better why not approach Mr Ryan and Co and explain to how much better ye are than the current panel of players....

we need to focus on how were going to beat tipp. in the munster final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

PTH2009 wrote: »

Tipp are going to be an unreal experience for the newer lads so id go for some expeienced players to start

1 S O Keefe

2 W Hutchinson
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 R Foley
    6 M Walsh
    7 T Browne

8 K Moran
    9 S Molumphy

10 M Shanahan
    11 S Prendergast
    12 E Kelly

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 T Ryan

Last year massacare in the same venue against the same oppisition will be a motivating factor for us imo.

Stephen Daniels has started the same amount of Championship games as Wayne Hutchison, and is a better player. Tony would have serious difficulties on any of the Tipp forwards barr maybe Gearoid Ryan, but he may not even start. Mahony was very good the last day, and Moran a contender for man of the match at wing back.

Tommy Ryan has never started for Waterford, but if I was to bring him in it would be for Kelly, not Gavin O'Brien. Reckon Paul O'Brien is their first choice replacement, don't think he should be though.
    hardybuck wrote: »
    I know it has been said before, but this again highlights the need for a re-organisation of our championship structures. DLS won the game against Tallow by 23 points, Roanmore game by 26 points and chances are they could go and put 30 points on Dunhill if they keep going like that. This does no good to any of the teams involved.

What would you do? We already only have 12 teams in it. They'll never get better if they don't play the best teams. Dunhill and Roanmore aren't long out of intermediate, a vastly inferior championship. Cut them some slack.

It just so happened that De La Salle were drawn in the weaker side of the draw this year, even if two of the best 3 teams are in it. I think it's a mental issue when teams play De La Salle that they get bet by so much, and if De La Salle get a run on them they capitulate. De La Salle are a very good team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

At least this year we won't be using the awful tactics employed by Davy last year, so doubt we'll see another thrashing. It'll be interesting to see the difference in our performance and the final scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Am i right in saying we're playing Tip in Minor this Wednsday?

Any news of possible team, injuries.?

Will many of the Harty cup winning team be on the starting 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Am i right in saying we're playing Tip in Minor this Wednsday?

Any news of possible team, injuries.?

Will many of the Harty cup winning team be on the starting 15?

Yeah up in Thurles. Someone mentioned on the last page captain Seanie Barry might be out after getting injured playing against Abbeyside for Lismore the other night. If so, that's a big blow as he's an excellent keeper and uses his puckouts very well but hopefully he can make it.

Someone on here posted a few weeks back that Cathal Curran would also be out. Again another blow as he would be one of our main scoring threats and scored the winning point v Clare in the last round.

Good news is Colin Dunford will be back, he was out injured with a broken jaw and missed the Clare game. The Harty team will make up most of the starting 15 on Wednesday.

Would like to get confirmation on these injuries though to see who exactly is in or out. It'll be tough but the lads can do it.

What would you do? We already only have 12 teams in it. They'll never get better if they don't play the best teams. Dunhill and Roanmore aren't long out of intermediate, a vastly inferior championship. Cut them some slack.

It just so happened that De La Salle were drawn in the weaker side of the draw this year, even if two of the best 3 teams are in it. I think it's a mental issue when teams play De La Salle that they get bet by so much, and if De La Salle get a run on them they capitulate. De La Salle are a very good team though.

I think it has been mentioned before, but I'd put them in a premier intermediate, or a senior b championship - whatever you want to call it.

I'd reduce the senior to one group of 8. Top 4 go into semis. Bottom 4 go into relegation semi's. Each team would have two more group games than currently, but you're getting rid of a quarter final game which should make the calender more workable.

In intermediate then, go to an all county setup. Current top two from the East, current top two from the west, and then the bottom four from senior to make 8 teams and the same format as above.

In doing so we reduce the amount of one sided damp squibs, and improve the standard of the better intermediate sides in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

I think it has been mentioned before, but I'd put them in a premier intermediate, or a senior b championship - whatever you want to call it.

I'd reduce the senior to one group of 8. Top 4 go into semis. Bottom 4 go into relegation semi's. Each team would have two more group games than currently, but you're getting rid of a quarter final game which should make the calender more workable.

In intermediate then, go to an all county setup. Current top two from the East, current top two from the west, and then the bottom four from senior to make 8 teams and the same format as above.

In doing so we reduce the amount of one sided damp squibs, and improve the standard of the better intermediate sides in the process.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

It works 100% in theory - but in practice you would not get all the games played off, not in the current way of doing things.

The premier intermediate would certainly improve the standard of the teams going up, having it broken into east and west as it is currently is utter nonsense. It could be enough in itself.

solarith wrote: »
    It works 100% in theory - but in practice you would not get all the games played off, not in the current way of doing things.

The premier intermediate would certainly improve the standard of the teams going up, having it broken into east and west as it is currently is utter nonsense. It could be enough in itself.

You're telling me that they can't play one more game in the season?

You're telling me that they can't play one more game in the season?
    Groups of 6, 5 games each minumum. Groups of 8 with playoff, 8 games each minimum. If there were weekends freely available to play the games currently, then they would be played on them - there's a reason it takes until Oct to get to the finals.

• Advertisement

Groups of 6, 5 games each minumum. Groups of 8 with playoff, 8 games each minimum. If there were weekends freely available to play the games currently, then they would be played on them - there's a reason it takes until Oct to get to the finals.

Group of 6, play five games, then enter either knockout - for the majority of teams they get a minimum of 6 games. In this they'll get a minimum of two more - apologies.

I'm have no experience with fixtures scheduling, but if we compare the amount of games played in Waterford compared to other counties, we play far less over the year. You either do the above, or play less championship games and far more league games.

Group of 6, play five games, then enter either knockout - for the majority of teams they get a minimum of 6 games. In this they'll get a minimum of two more - apologies.

I'm have no experience with fixtures scheduling, but if we compare the amount of games played in Waterford compared to other counties, we play far less over the year. You either do the above, or play less championship games and far more league games.
    We do, but from what I see is that most top clubs are affected by both hurling and football which leads to problems. So for many clubs that's 10-12 championship games per Summer, then factoring in avoiding the end of national league and championship games.. well it's not hard to see where the time goes! I honestly think the co board should fix 1 or 2 min-week games per team per championship. If they game enough notice (4 weeks+), then it should generally avoid work conflicts.

edit - there should definitely be more league games. A league game every Sunday morning like is done in soccer, for example. Start in Feb and run it out every second week with football until April, then another batch in the mid Summer when co teams take over for 6 weeks (like now).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

1 S O Keefe

2 W Hutchinson
    3 L Lawlor
    4 N Connors

5 R Foley
    6 M Walsh
    7 T Browne

8 K Moran
    9 S Molumphy

10 M Shanahan
    11 S Prendergast
    12 E Kelly

13 J Mullane
    14 S Walsh
    15 T Ryan

thanks be to god your not picking the team so

We do, but from what I see is that most top clubs are affected by both hurling and football which leads to problems. So for many clubs that's 10-12 championship games per Summer, then factoring in avoiding the end of national league and championship games.. well it's not hard to see where the time goes! I honestly think the co board should fix 1 or 2 min-week games per team per championship. If they game enough notice (4 weeks+), then it should generally avoid work conflicts.

edit - there should definitely be more league games. A league game every Sunday morning like is done in soccer, for example. Start in Feb and run it out every second week with football until April, then another batch in the mid Summer when co teams take over for 6 weeks (like now).

If you take a county like Dublin, pretty much all the main clubs challenging for the senior football title will be challenging for the senior hurling also - the likes of St.Brigids, St.Vincents, Ballyboden etc. They have competitive games every two weeks, which is something most Waterford players can only dream of at this stage.

If you take a county like Dublin, pretty much all the main clubs challenging for the senior football title will be challenging for the senior hurling also - the likes of St.Brigids, St.Vincents, Ballyboden etc. They have competitive games every two weeks, which is something most Waterford players can only dream of at this stage.
    I'd love to see how their fixtures work between club/county etc

I'd love to see how their fixtures work between club/county etc

They can make use of midweek games as everyone is typically based in Dublin, but even still, they play several multiples of the games played in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Looking very likely now that the co. board are to put forward a motion for the Munster Hurling Final to be played in Thurles. It needs something like a 2/3 vote to be passed at Munster council. Dont see why there would be many objections, bar maybe from Clare/Limerick who mightened want to vote their minors to be playing Tipp in their own backyard should they get through.

I know people have their preferences for Thurles, I prefer the venue also. But we had the same scenario a couple years back when th co. board were looking to play cork in pairc ui caoimh in exchange for cash. This is the same motive and nothing else so dont anyone cod themselves that the co. board aredoing this for any other reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Looking very likely now that the co. board are to put forward a motion for the Munster Hurling Final to be played in Thurles. It needs something like a 2/3 vote to be passed at Munster council. Dont see why there would be many objections, bar maybe from Clare/Limerick who mightened want to vote their minors to be playing Tipp in their own backyard should they get through.

I know people have their preferences for Thurles, I prefer the venue also. But we had the same scenario a couple years back when th co. board were looking to play cork in pairc ui caoimh in exchange for cash. This is the same motive and nothing else so dont anyone cod themselves that the co. board aredoing this for any other reason

I think Cork will definitely object. They don't have a valid case given the state their stadium is in a the moment, but they do have a big influence in the Munster Council.

Doesn't bother me what the County Board's reasons are, I'd be grateful to them if they insured a better match experience for the supporters. Only thing is if we lose, we'll have to travel through Tipp the whole way home, but then if we were to win that would be pretty sweet! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I think Cork will definitely object. They don't have a valid case given the state their stadium is in a the moment, but they do have a big influence in the Munster Council.

Doesn't bother me what the County Board's reasons are, I'd be grateful to them if they insured a better match experience for the supporters. Only thing is if we lose, we'll have to travel through Tipp the whole way home, but then if we were to win that would be pretty sweet! :D

Fingers crossed for the minors on wednesday night. its a big ask but if the minors got there aswell it would really add to the occasion and get a bigger deise crowd. If Tipp are in both it will be like a party were not invited to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement