Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, that was harder than I expected! Did that Rathcoffey Cycle and ended up in a small group most of the way round. Looking for nice easy mileage at this time of year.... eh, that went out the window. Trim to Carbury via Enfield was so flipping tough in that wind.

117km for me and pretty well cooked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Well, that was harder than I expected! Did that Rathcoffey Cycle and ended up in a small group most of the way round. Looking for nice easy mileage at this time of year.... eh, that went out the window. Trim to Carbury via Enfield was so flipping tough in that wind.

117km for me and pretty well cooked now.

yep as soon as you turned onto the longwood road at trim the wind hit and never gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Jeebus that was a tough cycle with the wind this morning, only did 40, but feels like I did 80

One part made me laugh, was cycling down Angelsa road, very narrow, idiot person in a car overtook me on the other side of the road and nearly slammed into oncoming vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    ...I've never broken a spoke before - how common is it?
    It seems to depend very much on the wheels fitted.

On my fixie it's a fairly regular occurrence - every couple of months or so and tends to be audible when it happens.

On the road bikes, I usually only discover that one is broken or very loose when cleaning the bike. No obvious sign when cycling. Happens several times per year. (It was a much more regular occurrence when I had Mavic Askiums).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

On my fixie it's a fairly regular occurrence - every couple of months or so and tends to be audible when it happens.

On the road bikes, I usually only discover that one is broken or very loose when cleaning the bike. No obvious sign when cycling. Happens several times per year. (It was a much more regular occurrence when I had Mavic Askiums).

Same as that today I didn't realise I had a broken spoke until I was moving my bike to cycle home I could hear a rattle so I checked and found the broken and loose spokes , the wheels are mavic open pros , never had an issue with them before .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭alentejo

Major cross wind up military road today. Needed to slow right down and simply concentrate on keeping up-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

sullzz wrote: »
    Same as that today I didn't realise I had a broken spoke until I was moving my bike to cycle home I could hear a rattle so I checked and found the broken and loose spokes , the wheels are mavic open pros , never had an issue with them before .

I reckon my spoke broke early on in the spin today. I struggled to maintain a much poorer average than usual. When heading out, the main resistance I felt was the wind. It was quite strong and we headed out into the wind up the N81 and around Blessington Lakes. On the return back the N81 with the wind almost directly behind I did think that I should have been going faster and still had to work hard to keep up with my mate who more often has to work a bit harder to keep up me. I did feel something was wrong but I put that down to me rather than the bike.

When I got home the wheel just locked up when wheeling it on the carpet (I hope Mrs. crosstownk doesn't read this :D ). When I spun the wheel I noticed the large buckle/deflection that looks to be about 4mm. Obviously there is significant drag at the brake at this point in the wheel revolution. The bike is still under warranty so I'm assuming this will be free but I've no problem doing it myself rather than argue with the LBS if they disagree.

I've the standard Giant S-R2 wheels that came with the bike running Mavic Aksions (soon to be ditched for Michelin Pro4).

TL;DR - A: Bike's fault. B: I'm crap at this.

...The bike is still under warranty so I'm assuming this will be free but I've no problem doing it myself rather than argue with the LBS if they disagree...
    While the bike shop may look after you in the interest of customer care, they would not be under any obligation to do unless it could be proven that the wheel was faulty/spokes incorrectly tensioned etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

While the bike shop may look after you in the interest of customer care, they would not be under any obligation to do unless it could be proven that the wheel was faulty/spokes incorrectly tensioned etc.

Yep. Fair enough but can spokes be considered wear and tear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

ok I m new to cycling. bout 3 weeks or so. Was out yesterday on my usual 20k run and turned into the wind after 5 k or so and had bout 7 k straight into it and man it was harder than any climb I have to do on my run. really f d my legs. Feel great today though but the wind is a factor i never considered till yesterday and will definitely give thought to in future.
    It wont stop me though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eamondomc wrote: »
    ok I m new to cycling. bout 3 weeks or so. Was out yesterday on my usual 20k run and turned into the wind after 5 k or so and had bout 7 k straight into it and man it was harder than any climb I have to do on my run. really f d my legs. Feel great today though but the wind is a factor i never considered till yesterday and will definitely give thought to in future.
    It wont stop me though.

At least you will be better at climbing next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭G1032

I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend these so? I was half thinking of getting a set at Christmas
    What wheels have you now and how do you find them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

G1032 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend these so? I was half thinking of getting a set at Christmas

I wouldnt. My set were a disaster.

godtabh wrote: »
    I wouldnt. My set were a disaster.

What did you replace them with?

What did you replace them with?

Zondas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

The bike is still under warranty so I'm assuming this will be free but I've no problem doing it myself rather than argue with the LBS if they disagree.

I've the standard Giant S-R2 wheels that came with the bike running Mavic Aksions (soon to be ditched for Michelin Pro4).

I had a similar issue with the rear wheel on my Giant Defy 1. The wheel was constantly buckling and breaking spokes. I initially blamed it on lugging my 90+kg ass around but I took it to Bike Hub in Howth who called Giant on the spot. They agreed to fund the cost of a new wheel to the value of around €150. It seems it's a known issue with crappy Giant wheels.

I have Campy Zondas for good weather and Shimano R501's for the winter.

I'm impressed with the R501's, which I bought as a temporary measure. I probably ride above average distances, much of it on the dark on unlit roads and I can't fault them even though my expectations weren't high.

(I should add that I only had problems with the rear Aksiums - front wheel was fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

A very windy 47km for me this evening @ 26.2kph, what a slog.
    Had a truck on my wheel on the scalp climb, decided on discretion (due to the dark and windy conditions) and pulled over to let him pass. Some drivers have no respect.

http://www.strava.com/activities/209741589

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

PrismES wrote: »
    Had a truck on my wheel on the scalp climb, decided on discretion (due to the dark and windy conditions) and pulled over to let him pass. Some drivers have no respect.

Not looking to start an argument but why wouldn't you pull in to let traffic past anyway? Why would you have to use discretion and why did the driver have no respect? Was he right on your wheel in an intimidating manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Did something I never thought I would do and deliberately cycled a longer way then required into work as I ready to go way too early. 18k instead of the usual 8.5k. A pleasant experience passing new traffic and seeing the sun rising from an unusual aspect. All good really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Way colder out there this morning than I was expecting. Shorts, and summer jersey are no longer sufficient! Although, I think if I had had a pair of gloves I may have been okay. Had a couple shout at me, to remind me it was cold out while crossing O'Connell bridge! :pac:

godtabh wrote: »
    Zondas
    I have Campy Zondas for good weather and Shimano R501's for the winter.

I'm impressed with the R501's, which I bought as a temporary measure. I probably ride above average distances, much of it on the dark on unlit roads and I can't fault them even though my expectations weren't high.

(I should add that I only had problems with the rear Aksiums - front wheel was fine).

Thanks. Zondas do seem to be a popular choice around here and I might treat myself to them for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

First day with new winter tights on, and I'm glad as it was quite cold out there.

Did about half of the journey through the park and down the quays taking turns with another chap on what looked like a Canyon cross bike or disc road bike. Thank you for sharing the effort. Makes the morning spin much better.

A very windy 47km for me this evening @ 26.2kph, what a slog.

Being from the country I wouldnt have much traffic probs but I imagine that courtesy would mean that slower vehicles should let faster traffic pass and I think cyclists should do the same. Just my opinion but thats my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

BenEadir wrote: »
    Not looking to start an argument but why wouldn't you pull in to let traffic past anyway? Why would you have to use discretion and why did the driver have no respect? Was he right on your wheel in an intimidating manner?

Yes he was right on my wheel.
    Where it is safe for me to do so, I would always move over to let faster traffic pass. Unfortunately, on this stretch of road there are very few safe places for cyclists to take refuge and a deep gully runs along side the road.
    So I was forced to stop where normally I wouldn't as I believed it was the safer than continuing with this truck right behind me.
    I don't believe drivers have a right to intimated other road users least of all the most vulnerable being cyclist.

Where it is safe for me to do so, I would always move over to let faster traffic pass. Unfortunately, on this stretch of road there are very few safe places for cyclists to take refuge and a deep gully runs along side the road as I believed it was the safer than continuing with this truck right behind me.
    So I was forced to stop where normally I wouldn't.
    I don't believe drivers have a right to intimated other road users least of all the most vulnerable being cyclist.

Ok I have to agree about the intimidation and hope it doesent happen too often. My own experiences so far riding in the dark so far have been positive as I have a good set of lights and a really luminous jacket which are very important if you ride after dark. Motorists so far have given me a wide berth and no intimidation. off out now to do my usual 20 k round and its cold with showers here.(North Longford) Unlit country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Where it is safe for me to do so, I would always move over to let faster traffic pass. Unfortunately, on this stretch of road there are very few safe places for cyclists to take refuge and a deep gully runs along side the road.
    So I was forced to stop where normally I wouldn't as I believed it was the safer than continuing with this truck right behind me.

^ 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Tough in this morning. The really tough part was getting on the bike rather than taking the car!

Some wind though. I'm in "Arrive alive" mode from now on.

Met an absolute cúnt of a Taxi driver on the way home. Took exception to me being in the bus lane, even though there was no traffic on his right. Took even more of an exception to me when I pointed out the camera on my helmet.

I actually do use the cycle lanes from the Canal to the luas stop near Cookstown but after that I use the bus lane as there is too much glass, while I am on my Canyon.

I don't know if it is just some sort of sixth sense but you can just "tell" when it's not ignorance/mistake on the drivers behalf. It's usually when you see their eyes in their rear view mirror.

You'll notice the following, there is no traffic to the taxi's right. You can see by the grate how much I was pushed in :/

He then stopped well short of the car in front of him at the next lights, tight to the kerb to stop me going into the cycle lane and when I go right he tries to "do something" That banging was me pointing to the camera on my helmet btw.

When we do take off (I had to join two files) he tries to close the gap again. I had to peddle like a mofo to get back on the left :D and then he tried to cut me off, again.

The camera's POV doesn't do the "closeness" any justice. Camera = Mobius btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

That taxi drivers name is Denis.

Also, the 'closeness' is pretty apparent..

y2dmMG6.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Howth to Fairview Park and back again. Only had to stop once for a breather at the wooden bridge. Wind was very, very strong heading towards town. Was practically going backwards, I was going sooooooo painfully sloooooooow. Had the wind at my back on the way home and it was bleedin' deadly ! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement