Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passing my time on my Turbo-Trainer

• 20-10-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

In the Hope that it may help someone ...

Picture This! Lashing Torrential Rain outside; tis cold; tis windy; tis dark; it is has just become tis by this kerry woman. Anywhoo,

Turbo-trainer all set up thanks to one of my brothers and two awesome local mechanics Denis & Matt; The Lone Traveller: One Woman, Two Wheels & The World! and of course some cringy-music on the headphones, namely The Nolans "I'm in the Mood for Dancing" and ...

Miles n Miles covered; over an hours of very happy peddling reading and listening to pedal-turning music; a bitta outa tune singing and ...

One Very Happy, Energised, Content kerry4sam on her bicycle :)

Just a lickle something that may coax someone onto a turbo this Autumn or Winter,

So how do you pass your time on your turbo? What music do you listen to? Ever read a good auld book to take your mind off the mileage?
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

2 hours watching Midsomer murders yesterday! Riveting I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

I have a friend that can only found time between 23:00-01:00 to train, so he set up his IDT outside on the porch. He then use the time to hunt snails with his airgun as they craw up against his garden wall. He got the odd rat or two as well on a good nights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe I'm odd but I fire up the Flightradar24 app and pick a flight that's between 1 and 2 hours from Dublin. Then I switch on ATC and listen for it to arrive in Dublin airspace. When it lands at Dublin I stop pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Turbos are unpleasant devices to use. I prefer to get it over with. I would not have the patience to steadily peddle away for an hour or two. I tend to kill my self for 45 mins max doing intervals including a warmup. I don't think it's a good workout unless after you end up on the floor in a puddle of sweat in the foetal position crying for your mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oythovki

Pearl Jam & Michael Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've installed a fridge, fan, TV, Blu-ray and surround sound in my new "facility". I also can use the Virtual Reality Tacx but tend to reserve that for 3+ hour sessions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I generally watch telly on the spinner and spin hard during the breaks. Watched Layer Cake last night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was on the TacX Flow VR myself for about 45mins last night, and managed quite a decent sustained output for a first session in a while. Really need to recalibrate the unit as I'd say it is way off reality, was aiming for close to 300w average and managed 283w, but I suspect the figures are meaningless other than relative comparison to previous effort.

Cadence magnet has gone AWOL which is a bit of a pain, and the unit itself is starting to show signs of wear and tear, but still does the job. Might upgrade to a unit with greater resistance once funds become available, as the simulated gradient on the Flow isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just had an abortive first attempt at a Turbo session. The bike keeps listing to the left despite multiple efforts at resetting it in the clamp....much internetz research awaits....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pats22b

i'm with detones - should be a puddle of sweat on the ground after- i spend my 45 mins looking at the rox 10 bike computer to make sure i'm working as hard as i think i am - lots of staring at cadence, speed and hr measures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

pats22b wrote: »
    i'm with detones - should be a puddle of sweat on the ground after- i spend my 45 mins looking at the rox 10 bike computer to make sure i'm working as hard as i think i am - lots of staring at cadence, speed and hr measures.

It was more river than puddle of sweat ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has anyone invented a system to plug a turbo trainer into google street view?

http://turbobiketrainer.com/virtual-reality-turbo-trainers-2013-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

This^^ I've been bugging my mate who does programing about it for the last while. He said it's doable but you need permissions from Google and all the turbo manufacturers. I guarantee it will make a fortune for whoever gets it right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Turbo trainers=Pain and discomfort
    Turbo trainers do not = enjoyment on any level......

RobFowl wrote: »
    Turbo trainers=Pain and discomfort
    Turbo trainers do not = enjoyment on any level......

The young one with the lovely arse in front of me at turbo training made it enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭G1032

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe I'm odd but I fire up the Flightradar24 app and pick a flight that's between 1 and 2 hours from Dublin. Then I switch on ATC and listen for it to arrive in Dublin airspace. When it lands at Dublin I stop pedalling.

You'd be pedalling for a long time if they had to circle Dublin Airport for a half hour only to then be told they have to detour to Manchester!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The only way to do turbo is with structured intervals. If you have to do say 8 minutes at a certain wattage or heart rate and a different cadence every minute you're like the game show contestant spinning 25 plates at once. Every 60 seconds you're juggling gearing and turbo resistance to the new cadence while maintaining your goal heart rate or wattage. There's never a dull moment. The 8 minutes are gone in a jiffy and you have a few blessed minutes recovery before the next 8 minute stint is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 martinbourke11

like to vary the turbo stuff, mix of interval sessions but really enjoying watching TDF/Classics re-runs on youtube, especially ones i can't remember who won- 2014 amstel gold race last night, thought i was phil gilbert for a split sec....then reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

30 minutes is enough. If you do an hour or more you avoid the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

usually 3 turbos a week, all 45-55 minute sessions.. couple sufferfest videos and one session of my own making where i increase speed every five minutes for 40 mins and finish with 10 out of the saddle followed by a warm down. currently watching the shield on neflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

There's a series of these videos on YouTube. I think there great. Easy to follow and it keeps you interested. The key is to have a turbo you can vary the resistance with. I'd be shattered after this.

http://youtu.be/mv0H9iCz8Ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Anyone getting onto a turbo and reading a book or watching TV is deluding themselves IMHO.
    You'd be better off sitting on your comfy chair reading said book.
    Turbo is a way to get various types of intervals done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

About to subscribe to trainer road to hopefully get some level of structure and goals for the winter garage season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Moshe Colossal Gunsmith

ROK ON wrote: »
    Anyone getting onto a turbo and reading a book or watching TV is deluding themselves IMHO.
    You'd be better off sitting on your comfy chair reading said book.
    Turbo is a way to get various types of intervals done.

You can still have stuff on the background but its unlikely you will hear or see what they are saying if pushing hard during an interval.

I normally turbo 3 times a week, right now BG efforts, VO2 intervals and some SS to threshold efforts.

Setup, a big a$$ fan (a must), wahoo kickr (great piece of kit) and i pad for watching stuff in the background on Netflix or listening to music. A bit of structure to your sets and the turbo sessions fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

this is one of the best videos on youtube for the torture that is turbo training. I only wish these guys would make a few more of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFYRiqodvU

You can still have stuff on the background but its unlikely you will hear or see what they are saying if pushing hard during an interval.

I normally turbo 3 times a week, right now BG efforts, VO2 intervals and some SS to threshold efforts.

Setup, a big a$$ fan (a must), wahoo kickr (great piece of kit) and i pad for watching stuff in the background on Netflix or listening to music. A bit of structure to your sets and the turbo sessions fly by.

Absolutely, I have Trainer Road sessions i follow on my laptop and have the TV on also in front of me, I can still maintain my pace/cadence/HR as required and still watch the TV if there is something on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

This is a pretty good turbo session.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ive tried on many occasions to love the turbo.. always failed miserably but am going to make a proper effort this winter

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just spent a very enjoyable 45 mins on the Wattbike watching RTE2. Even hit a couple of post crash power peaks

Now watching a much more boring 2nd half from the comfy chair in the lounge....

Advertisement