Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water blockage / slow filling cistern in downstairs loo?

• 12-11-2013 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know this comes up a fair but thought I'd throw in my specific predicament with photos..

Our toilet downstairs does not appear to be filling enough to flush, while the upstairs toilet seems fine.

Opened the downstairs cistern and noticed that it's not filling with enough water (obviously) - only about 1/3 full and no water appears to be dripping through the plastic horizontal tubing and through the vertical transparent thin plastic.

6GYypL.jpg
    6jtYjU.jpg
    7TybKz.jpg

Should I turn off the water and check if there's any dirt / large sediments lodged somewhere or does it seem unlikely?

Any suggestions are appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Our toilet did the same recently. I opened off the diaphragm that the ballcock pushes against and took it out expecting a clump of dirt blocking it. There was none in the nozzle as a jet of water shot out when i turned the water back on. The diaphragm had a bit of scale on it so i rubbed it under the tap to clean it and reinstalled. Worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers shedweller..

.. will give it a shot tomorrow evening when I get home and let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Basq wrote: »
    Cheers shedweller..

.. will give it a shot tomorrow evening when I get home and let you know how it goes.
    Best of luck! I did think it was weird that such a small clean freed up the diaphragm but if theres scale all around the edge where it flexes it could hold it closed a bit more.

Advertisement