Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M4A1? Which one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Hi TBgamer,

I wouldn't get either. Read a couple of the "what should be my first gun threads" on here you'll get good advice.

Your not gona save any money getting a E150 AEG ( except good make 2nd hand).
    A cheap gun simply wont last and unless your handy with internals you'll be dropping it into the shop every couple of weeks

You have a big list of gear above, my advice spend the gear money on a good reliable M4 variant.
    G&G Raiders area great first guns and not too much more price wise if ya shop around.
    You can also find cheap king arms / and Dboys which would be better than your selected.
    Full metal outside is no good if the internals are crap.

You don't need all the gear day 1 ,almost everybody tips away and buys something new every couple of weeks.
    This system is better as your opinion changes as ya get a few games under yer belt and as ya talk to other airsofters.
    Its also nice to have a new bit of kit to look forward to.
    I don't use half the stuff I splashed out on in the first month or two of my airsofting life ,its now in a pile at home.

Just my two cents

Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TBGamer

I'm going to be doing training for the army, as I'm joining the TA, Reserves. So I'm looking for a set up that is good. I need a woodland camo loadout. A vest with uni weapon holster. M4A1 or another gun (has to be FULL metal). Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭IXIKALIMAIXI

TBGamer wrote: »
    I'm going to be doing training for the army, as I'm joining the TA, Reserves. So I'm looking for a set up that is good. I need a woodland camo loadout. A vest with uni weapon holster. M4A1 or another gun (has to be FULL metal). Any ideas?

I'm guessing when you mean the TA, you mean the Territorial Army?

If so, don't they use L85's? Wouldn't that be more 1:1 scale? Army Armament produces a L85, so have a look into that.

Im going into the Reserves or TA. Depends on my app. So M4A1 full metal is what I need around £160 - £200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

hi, have you considered
    http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=357
    not an a1 but is full metal, reliable, decent performance from the box with no real mag issues that some m4's seem to suffer with.

or a pre upgraded m4a1
    http://seairsoft.com/product_details.php?id=2082&catid=36
    nice gun internally with loads of extras

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'd get a G&G Raider GR15 L. One of the better M4's you can buy when starting. Mine never let me down.

Thats only small. Does anyone know a good full metal gun that weighs around 3500g with 360fps full metal gearbox and internels?

The G&G TR15 R4 is full metal for around 350 and shoots at ubder a joule. You know Ireland is limited to 328fps dont you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Thats only small. Does anyone know a good full metal gun that weighs around 3500g with 360fps full metal gearbox and internels?

The G&G TR listed above is a very good gun. I'm guessing you're from the north so higher fps allowed but we are limited to 328 fps down south so there is a restriction in force on this forum.

What is the reason you are looking for the extra weight? Do you want something that is a good performer or with a heavy weight? If you are looking for some realism for prep for the reserves you should look at getting low caps (30 bbs) to keep it milsim.

I'm from Merseyside. I was getting a mid cap 75bbs mag x10. I want the gun to last very long and to feel very real (The Reserves). I'm not a fan on plastics, small ABS is OK but still... Is there a difference between fps? by this I am a good for £160 having 200 fps compared to a gun £300 having 330fps? Any good guns for say around £220-250, full metal internels and full metal body, adjustable hopup, active bolt catch. Strong and durable?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

I'm from Merseyside. I was getting a mid cap 75bbs mag x10. I want the gun to last very long and to feel very real (The Reserves). I'm not a fan on plastics, small ABS is OK but still... Is there a difference between fps? by this I am a good for £160 having 200 fps compared to a gun £300 having 330fps? Any good guns for say around £220-250, full metal internels and full metal body, adjustable hopup, active bolt catch. Strong and durable?

No difference in fps. All the guns have full metal internals - gearbox, gears etc. All would have adjustable hop. Bolt catch would be different - you will need to look at a PTW (Professional Training Weapon) for that. In an Airsoft gun they are just for show really. They will pull back but have no effect on function. They do in a PTW.

Have a look at this thread for an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.boards.ie/thread/2057131300

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Or if its realism your after you could look into a GBBR.......

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

You can get dboys, jg and cyma full metal m4s in your price bracket easy enough. They have good fps and full metal gearboxes. They wouldn't be the best guns in the world but would be more than capable and would allow you put more money towards other stuff or upgrade them down the line.

G&P and G&G full metal guns are pricey but would be better internally.

No I would like it to be AEG. know any good M4A1's? that aren't combat machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hi TBGamer,

First off; you say you're from Merseyside, but then mention possible enlistment in either the TA or RDF, or at least I'll assume that is whom you are referring to by 'Reserves'. So are you planning on skirmishing mostly in the UK? Or in Ireland? Because if it's Ireland, almost any gun you buy in the UK (or most anywhere else in fairness ... ), will need to also be downgraded, before import, to fire at no greater than 1 joule (1j, or 328fps with a .2g bb) to comply with Irish law. The only general exception to needing downgraded is Tokyo Marui guns that are almost always under 1j anyway due to Japanese law.

Next; when you say that you want a full-metal m4 variant; you are aware that only the receiver, barrel, and sights are metal, not the stock and foregrip. So the weight difference is not going to be particularly notable between a full metal receiver and a plastic one. You'll notice it alright, but it wont be an "ooooohff, 'kinell this is heavy" experience. Of the four variants that you've just listed; in my opinion I'd opt for either the G&P or Ares. I've no experience with Ares m4s, but they've a pretty solid reputation. G&P I've always been impressed with. But that said, you can pick up a decent dboys metal m4 for less than either of those; and for a budget gun you'll get your money's worth out of it.

If you really want something that gives you the 'feel' of what either the UK or Irish forces use, you'd be best served looking at L85 and Steyr AUG A1 bullpup rifles, of which there are more than a few good airsoft offerings for each. Some of the L85 variants could be used to club people to death with too, being around 5kg in weight (compared with an average of about 3.4kg for an m4 variant).

The last thing I'll mention is not airsoft-specific although it is very much related given your mentioning a desire to enlist and looking to airsoft to become familiar with kit. There are posters here who can correct me where I am wrong. I can't speak for the Permanent or Reserve Defense Forces, but I can speak from reasonable knowledge of more than a few friends here in the UK who are either ex or serving forces; DO NOT MENTION YOU PLAY AIRSOFT. As a recruit, the last thing you want to do is draw the attention of the DS and/or come across as a know-it-all, and as a serving member it's considered a bit of a "dirty secret". Half them play of course, but they'll never say it in barracks save to slag the sh*t out of airsofters.

Lemming thank you for that post.

Its between the Ares and G&P now, I'd go with any but I've been told that the G&P hasn't got a active bolt catch, so you can't adjust the hop up while firing.

Here are the spec's that the website provide:

Ares AEG M4A1 Features...

Velocity Feet Per Second (FPS): 340
    Length: 775mm / 860mm
    Battery Type: 8.4v Mini
    Weight (with Magazine): 3450g

G&P AEG M4A1 Carbine Features...

Metal Body M4 Marine Style
    368mm Inner Barrel
    Carry Handle
    Adjustable Rear Sight
    G&P M120 Hi-Speed Motor
    Front Sling Swivel
    Velocity Feet Per Second (FPS): >365
    Rounds Per Minute (RPM): 650
    Gearbox Version (GBV): 2
    Length: 870mm
    Battery Type: ZOBAT7C1
    Weight (with Magazine): 3000g

Now if I were to buy the Ares what website should I get it from?

http://uk.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_ARES_ARES_M4A1_Carbine.htm
    http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=2102

Have you served also? I am starting to get used to the weight and kit that I'll be using, I don't care that I'm using an M4 or a L85, I kinda set my budget to £500, So Ares or G&P + All other stuff like; Vest, boots, camo, goggles, holster, x10 mags and so on... speaking of mags will http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=8125 fit both the Ares and G&P?

Here are the spec's that the website provide:

<snip>

Now if I were to buy the Ares what website should I get it from?

http://uk.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_ARES_ARES_M4A1_Carbine.htm

We could dissect & discuss the statistics of each AEG for a month and still not get a decisive answer. Pick one that you like the look of and has a decent reputation and is within your budget. Once you're playing a while you can start to look at the technical hows & why's of getting better performance out of your guns.

The two things you'll need to make sure of when you start out are; what battery type/connectors does the gun have (for an m4A1; most likely 8.4v mini NiMH or 7.2v LIPO; with mini-tamiya connectors), and what type of magazines (see below).

There are a few airsoft websites in the UK with good reputations, so shop around and see which comes out tops for you in terms of price, shipping, and any extras that you want. Off the top of my head:
    There are a load more, those are just the ones off the top of my head so do be sure to do a google search.

Have you served also? I am starting to get used to the weight and kit that I'll be using, I don't care that I'm using an M4 or a L85, I kinda set my budget to £500, So Ares or G&P + All other stuff like; Vest, boots, camo, goggles, holster, x10 mags and so on... speaking of mags will http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=8125 fit both the Ares and G&P?

No I have not served. You'll find - in the UK at any rate - a fair number of people who do play have either served or are serving. Some of them will be only too happy to talk to you about it all.

As for your budget, you can pick up surplus kit in good condition for silly, silly money on some of the facebook groups (so look for a local group like ... Liverpool airsofters, or North East airsofters, or Manchester, etc.), and off of more than a few surplus websites. For example, yesterday at my local site (BritTac airsoft, South Yorkshire) one of my fellow marshals was selling off a load of excess kit and offered me a complete desert dpm set (including webbing) for £40. My point is you don't need to spend a fortune to get good - or practical - kit.

As for the the magazines you've linked to should fit as they are STANAG (i.e. standardised NATO agreement) magazines. The same magazines will also fit the likes of the L85, Tavor, HK 416, etc. for example. I will add a caveat; some manufacturers can be iffy with certain brands of magazine and it can be a bit of trial and error; but that's more the exception than the rule. So please bear that in mind if you're struggling to insert/remove magazines.

• Advertisement

Just one other thing that crossed my mind after posting those retailer links ....

are you aware of the VCRA legislation for airsoft (i.e. the "skirmisher defence") and the likes of the UKARA registration scheme? And what age are you?

If you're under 18; you are sh*t-out-of-luck buying any airsoft gun.

Its fine. I'm 18, 1995. I'm not joining the Reserves yet because I want some more education. I dont have UKARA thats why Im getting it Two Tone Green.

Can you tell me a good setup with the Ares M4? I mean by this can you tell what some good gear(vest, head, holsters) and maybe a cheap scope for the M4?

Can you tell me a good setup with the Ares M4? I mean by this can you tell what some good gear(vest, head, holsters) and maybe a cheap scope for the M4?

Honestly, I would hold the horses on all of the accessories and get to grips with playing with an AEG first. If you must, pick up a bargain bucket vest or webbing for your mags, bottle of water, etc. for example: UK PLCE webbing or a Webtex DPM vest.

Before you go throwing around silly money, see how others around you have got their kit set up. It's very much a case of personal choice and works for you. But there are three basic forms:
    • Webbing/Belt/harness (e.g. that PLCE link above)
    • Vests
    • Plate carriers (also mistakenly referred to as vests by a lot of people)
    Each have their pros & cons.

Does anyone know if http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/ is legit and trust worthy?

Also what do you think of this:

http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=M4A1&category_id=39&product_id=357

That or Ares AEG M4A1

I found the Cyma M4 to be very rattly when I was trying it, could have just been a loose nut. Nice heft to it though and they're supposed to be pretty good for the price too.

I have a choice between the Ares M4A1 and the Colt M4A1 CQBR by CYMA.

Here are the links:

http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=M4A1&category_id=39&product_id=357

If they dont work use these copy the links into your browser and delete the space after the dot.

http://www.hobbyairsoft. ie/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=M4A1&category_id=39&product_id=357

http://www.zerooneairsoft. com/product_info.php?products_id=2102

I want people's views on both RIF's and will choose over these things.

Weight, Metal construction, Metal internals/Best internals, best for airsoft, most realistic and all the good stuff.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Nope, Different sorry. Could you please answer the question though. I'm looking to buy one today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Already gave my opinion on your other threads.

Advertisement