Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FYR

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can we have a proper Q&A session with candidates this year?

Last year's one were the Returning Officer was handed questions by the audience and then she picked the ones she liked didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

I take it nomination forms are available in SU office?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I take it nomination forms are available in SU office?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

irish_goat wrote: »

Last year's one were the Returning Officer was handed questions by the audience and then she picked the ones she liked didn't work.
    There has to be some sort of vetting process for the questions, though, as time is limited and you'd want the essentials to be asked, surely?
    And, of course, bearing in mind that you're already on Boards, surely you could ask most candidates here or even on facebook what they're planning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

Any word on potential part-time candidates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

How so Joe wrote: »
    There has to be some sort of vetting process for the questions, though, as time is limited and you'd want the essentials to be asked, surely?
    And, of course, bearing in mind that you're already on Boards, surely you could ask most candidates here or even on facebook what they're planning?

You're not guaranteed an answer that way.

I'd also like to think that at least ONE of the 6 questions I handed up at last year's presidential hustings were essential. Turns out not one of them was. Thankfully though, we got to hear whether each candidate though jaffa cakes were cakes or biscuits.

But I do agree to an extent with the vetting. Otherwise you'll get stupid 'college humor' questions.

You're not guaranteed an answer that way.

I'd also like to think that at least ONE of the 6 questions I handed up at last year's presidential hustings were essential. Turns out not one of them was. Thankfully though, we got to hear whether each candidate though jaffa cakes were cakes or biscuits.
    They're cakes. As a law student, I can definitively state this. There's been a court case and everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

But I do agree to an extent with the vetting. Otherwise you'll get stupid 'college humor' questions.

And potentially the RO having to shout down a bunch of overly rowdy supporters.

And potentially the RO having to shout down a bunch of overly rowdy supporters.
    That often happens anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

irish_goat wrote: »

I'm gonna try interview as many of them as possible. I'd definitely ask any questions people want. Within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Any word on potential part-time candidates?

Heard some whispers here and there, but I'll let them announce themselves when they've made a final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

103 posts. 5,138 views.

Seriously?

The Lurkers have the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

How so Joe wrote: »

Why? Should it not be up to students themselves to decide what they consider an essential question?

Surely a better system would be to allow students to ask the questions themselves and limit them to 1 minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

You would think that, but the RO would still just rule any question he/she didn't like the sound of out of order (ie sounds like a personal attack etc). I think that the screening process shouldn't be so strict. During the first year rep elections (the first time around) I was screening questions. The only ones I didn't let go through were ones that smelt of offensive comments to a candidate or
    "will you set up a new Harry Potter Society if I elect you"
    I think it also stops people trying to ask the same questions over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

There are good points on both sides tbh...at the Bizz Socs Political Debate the other week there was a period of general questions from the floor where they werent screened.

I think it went pretty well to be honest...

ha!!
    i think my wee outburst may not be welcome on the SU election hustings though. :)

shmici wrote: »
    ha!!
    i think my wee outburst may not be welcome on the SU election hustings though. :)

Hahahahaha...wel he deserved it...if theres any candidates that bad Id hope you would do the same again!!

Tis my democratic duty to shout at an independent Candidate to (in fluent didle di di die dile)
    "SIT DOOOOUWN!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

I think some sort of screening to stop personal attacks, unrelated and repetitive questions is needed.

Mayhaps if all questions had to go through 2 people, and only those rejected by both wouldn't be asked. (I know it's still open to abuse, but at least it's half way there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

manna wrote: »
    I think some sort of screening to stop personal attacks, unrelated and repetitive questions is needed.

Mayhaps if all questions had to go through 2 people, and only those rejected by both wouldn't be asked. (I know it's still open to abuse, but at least it's half way there)

Maybe a mixed approach with questions from the floor or written questions.

I know when I ran for Finance Officer I was ready to take any question including personal attacks and I think that if you put yourself forward for a position then you should be open to answer questions even if they are nasty. I think there is a limit and the RO should step in if a question is particularly vicious. It's all part of politics though.

If someone's question wasn't answered at hustings then they could ask it on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

If even a small number of the lurkers run, the ballot papers will need to be like ten pages long, voting will be like filling out divorce papers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

Run it like the Frontline leaders debate: Someone from the audience asks a question then our Pat Kenny RO talks for about ten minutes about the question.

Pat 4 prez.

Pat 4 prez.

Well he wouldn't do it for the amount our sabats get paid anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

So when do nominations close?

Anybody other than Fiach, Grace, Cathal and Broni to officially announce

Nision wrote: »
    So when do nominations close?

Anybody other than Fiach, Grace, Cathal and Broni to officially announce

10pm on the 28th I do believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

That's right, there may be a few posters floating around saying 12 noon, DON'T BELIEVE THEM!

10pm:)

• Advertisement

Having given it a lot of thought, I've decided to seek nomination for President of Maynooth SU.

Advertisement