Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bigger Girls: Are They More Popular than We Think?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Thwip! wrote: »
    If only someone would volunteer to find out ;)

Well the reason I was thinking about that was because I remembered the whole Jordan and Jodie Marsh spat a few years back, and Jodie claiming she had 34DDs, but when she actually went topless, her breasts were, well, "flappy", and putting them in a DD cup would certainly fill the cups and make her breasts look fuller (she has had implants put in since and become a rather dedicated female body builder), and I just wonder is Catherine doing the same thing - wearing an ill fitting bra to make her breasts appear fuller, as Geena Davis did at the Oscars about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Thwip! wrote: »
    If only someone would volunteer to find out ;)

*dons snorkel*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Certainly Christina Hendricks wears certain bras and dresses to push up her breasts but she is a big breasted woman. She is by no means what I would classify as a "big woman" in the weight/size sense. She has large boobs, curvy hips but slender arms, legs, waist, face.
    I have a friend who is "big" in the 5ft 2, 18 stone sense and when she was on-line dating she put a very accurate photo of herself on the site. She could have had a man in her bed every night of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Crea wrote: »
    I have a friend who is "big" in the 5ft 2, 18 stone sense and when she was on-line dating she put a very accurate photo of herself on the site. She could have had a man in her bed every night of the week.

but is that what she wanted or something more long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I was just saying that she had plenty of offers but didn't take up any of them. She's now in a relationship and her size doesn't seem to be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i get ya, sorry i didnt mean it to sound any other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Big girls are the best.

Had the best sex ever with a big girl on a giant beanbag.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

The thread is mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭leewarden

It is a very emotive issue with women though. Lots of women posting "well I have...." or "My body is...." I do think having lived with a sister with an eating disorder that women do feel under pressure to fit some ideal, whether it be one perpetrated by the media, their own friends or even themselves. My male friends never seem to worry about how a top or jeans make them look.

leewarden wrote: »
    It is a very emotive issue with women though. Lots of women posting "well I have...." or "My body is...." I do think having lived with a sister with an eating disorder that women do feel under pressure to fit some ideal, whether it be one perpetrated by the media, their own friends or even themselves. My male friends never seem to worry about how a top or jeans make them look.

Men too though have their own various foibles and insecurities, they just tend to internalise them a lot more than women IME. Certainly men are becoming more conscious of their appearance (and not just their penis size any more), and cosmetics and clothing companies / health and fitness companies / magazine and internet media companies are tripping over themselves to accommodate and even encourage a growing market.

I'd give it another twenty years before men are as openly insecure as women, because I can't see women becoming more secure in themselves with the pressure and influence exerted on them from numerous sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Crea wrote: »
    Certainly Christina Hendricks wears certain bras and dresses to push up her breasts but she is a big breasted woman. She is by no means what I would classify as a "big woman" in the weight/size sense. She has large boobs, curvy hips but slender arms, legs, waist, face.

Again, I just have to go back to that photo I posted of Hendricks in her swimsuit and I genuinely wonder how anyone can look at it and go "Nah, she's not overweight."

And your friend's experience is that of pretty much every woman on OD. The fact that none of those men are anyone you'd want in your bed is probably more salient.

Maybe the Hendricks thing is down to the fact that as being overweight has become more and more normalised, people's perception of what's overweight and what isn't has changed. That was actually the whole reason behind the EU's waist measurement campaign - people actually no longer even recognise what's overweight as the average person is getting bigger.

I'd agree with you that Hendricks' face is extremely slender. To the point of being completely out of proportion to the rest of her. It makes her look slimmer than she actually is at first glance. And we've seen how the converse can be true - even at her thinnest, Renee Zellweger still had a very round face with chubby cheeks, and it made her look heavier than she was, when for a long time she was actually in what I would consider the dangerously underweight range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Phantom of the Oprah

My experience of online dating I find that too many large ladies are in denial of there size. Because of this its clear that there sensitive on the issue which makes it harder to tell them "I'm not interested because your too heavy".
    As has been said its all about attraction and personal preference so we all have to take the rejections for whatever reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It's naive of course to downplay the significance of aesthetics, but I truly wish the general trend encouraged both sexes to lend more time and effort to advertising their attributes and other qualities rather than their wares. Sure, I like impossibly sexy women, but I also love- dare i say it- 'average' women who are funny, artistically inclined etc.

As an aside, although this may be the personification of 'curvy', there's nothing real about it.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Perfect example of what I think of when someone says "curvy" - curves in all the right places on a slim frame.

http://cdn.imnotobsessed.com/wp-content/uploads/sofia-vergara_50895598.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

My ideal woman has to have big bouncing breasts, broad swaying hips and a good bottom - in other words - a Big Girl - I just luv em! No fried eggs please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My experience of online dating I find that too many large ladies are in denial of there size. Because of this its clear that there sensitive on the issue which makes it harder to tell them "I'm not interested because your too heavy".
    As has been said its all about attraction and personal preference so we all have to take the rejections for whatever reasons.

I call bull****. You could easily just not be a dick and not specify a reason. That's what I do.

Also, this is online, is it? Pretty certain the women on online dating mostly sit and wait for interested emails, not chase down men to reject them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My ideal woman has to have big bouncing breasts, broad swaying hips and a good bottom - in other words - a Big Girl - I just luv em! No fried eggs please!

We get it, you like bigger women. How many times do you need to say it before you realise people have already read your previous posts?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I'd give it another twenty years before men are as openly insecure as women, because I can't see women becoming more secure in themselves with the pressure and influence exerted on them from numerous sources.
    I dunno C. While mass media has certainly increased this pressure, oft to the point of madness, the pressure for women to be beautiful(whatever that is depending on culture) has a very long history, long before mass media was even dreamt of. Even behind closed doors in closed societies such pressure remains. The pressures on men have traditionally been different, with male beauty coming way down the list after things like social power, virility, strength etc. We certainly see men being insecure in those areas and of course we see issues in some like baldness and height(or lack of it) which are about the physical, but overall as a gender being as insecure about our physical selves? I don't see it happening to nearly the same degree as it has with women.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Maybe the Hendricks thing is down to the fact that as being overweight has become more and more normalised, people's perception of what's overweight and what isn't has changed. That was actually the whole reason behind the EU's waist measurement campaign - people actually no longer even recognise what's overweight as the average person is getting bigger.
    +1 on this. I would definitely agree with you that size perception has skewed. In my class at school the "fat" guy was solidly built with a round face, but would barely register as the class fat lad today and that's only a generation ago.

You sometimes get it at the other end of the scale too in some circles at least, where near or actual anorexia is seen as "slim". Your example of Renee Zellweger a good one.

It seems our bodily perceptions are very plastic depending on culture and time. This makes sense as we are the social and symbolic ape, where belonging to a group isn't just about the obvious things, the "uniform" goes deep.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno C. While mass media has certainly increased this pressure, oft to the point of madness, the pressure for women to be beautiful(whatever that is depending on culture) has a very long history, long before mass media was even dreamt of. Even behind closed doors in closed societies such pressure remains. The pressures on men have traditionally been different, with male beauty coming way down the list after things like social power, virility, strength etc. We certainly see men being insecure in those areas and of course we see issues in some like baldness and height(or lack of it) which are about the physical, but overall as a gender being as insecure about our physical selves? I don't see it happening to nearly the same degree as it has with women.

...and I believe pressure on women is getting worse as time goes on. On many street corners here I have clinics targeted at me (woman) telling me I need to undergo plastic/cosmetic surgery. These types of places are solely targeted at women along with adverts for perfume, posters for holidays of women in bikinis (rarely men), ads for clothes shops, make up, magazines for both women and men with "perfect" women plastered on the front etc. I think it's disingenuous to say men experience similar pressure. I do agree that pressure is growing for men but as the pressure on women is increasing at a depressing rate also, I think we'll always be "ahead" on this one unfortunately.

It takes a strong person not to succumb to it all. I think it all comes down to looking for internal approval from yourself and to stop searching externally for it. Easier said than done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

...and I believe pressure on women is getting worse as time goes on.
    Certainly is and that pressure is even more twisted because of technology. The societal ideal has morphed into impossibility. An ancient Roman woman might look at statues of ideal women and mope she didn't match up, but there would be many in a population who would match up as the ideal was within normal human constraints. Today with digital manipulation impossible ideals are all around us that even the models for the ideal themselves don't match up to.
    I think it's disingenuous to say men experience similar pressure. I do agree that pressure is growing for men but as the pressure on women is increasing at a depressing rate also, I think we'll always be "ahead" on this one unfortunately.
    I'd agree and IMHO it's because there is or at least may be an innate gender difference when it comes to which insecurities are at play and which traits are rated higher and men as a gender and of course as an average pay far less attention to their(and other mens) looks and rate it's importance lower. Might be down to something as obvious as mate selection and competition for same within the genders. There are any number of examples of men well hit by the ugly stick, but with social power* with women who are significantly higher than them in the looks ranking. The reverse is far less common**.

*wealth and fame are the obvious ones. Others in different societies might be hunting ability, religious power etc.

** as women become more powerful in previously male dominated arenas it'll be interesting to see how this may change things. I would argue that women have often been more powerful than men at different points of history, but behind the scenes and because they controlled access to reproduction. The first thing very patriarchal societies try to stifle is this power.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Certainly is and that pressure is even more twisted because of technology. The societal ideal has morphed into impossibility. An ancient Roman woman might look at statues of ideal women and mope she didn't match up, but there would be many in a population who would match up as the ideal was within normal human constraints. Today with digital manipulation impossible ideals are all around us that even the models for the ideal themselves don't match up to.

Just when you mention Ancient Rome there Wibbs I was reminded of this chap - Michaelangelo's Statue Of David. I mean, they don't come much more "ideal of physical perfection" than that, and that was over 400 years ago. Nowadays we have Gerard Butler advertising male grooming products, Bradley Cooper advertising ice cream ffs (the Haagen Das advert!), I mean, you wouldn't see Zak Galifianakis advertising anything aimed at the ideal of male perfection! :D

I'd agree and IMHO it's because there is or at least may be an innate gender difference when it comes to which insecurities are at play and which traits are rated higher and men as a gender and of course as an average pay far less attention to their(and other mens) looks and rate it's importance lower. Might be down to something as obvious as mate selection and competition for same within the genders. There are any number of examples of men well hit by the ugly stick, but with social power* with women who are significantly higher than them in the looks ranking. The reverse is far less common**.

Ouch! :pac:

No yeah I get too what Legs.Eleven is saying- there was always a pressure on women to physically look their best, but I pass by a cosmetic surgery clinic on my way to work every morning, and their adverts are aimed not just at women any more, but also at men. I could tip in on my lunch break and have a face freeze (botox injections) done and be back at work that afternoon, so that's why I was saying earlier that men are becoming more openly insecure- because they are being targeted more openly - you can't even turn on the television any more without seeing a pack of oiled up muscle bound spartans, or the "I have such a busy day" male model that splashes his face with moisturiser. These cosmetics companies are relaying the message to men that women will no longer put up with a man who isn't trimmed, toned and buffed in all the right places (hell even the Lynx deodorant adverts play on the idea!), and so while the female target market has increased at a steady rate, the male target market in the last few years has grown almost exponentially.

A splash of old spice just doesn't cut the mustard any more :( :pac:

• Advertisement

Feckin' marketeers. Shower of ****ehawks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

As Anthony said to Cleopatra
    As he opened a crate of ale :

Oh, I say :
    Some girls are bigger than others
    Some girls are bigger than others
    Some girl's mothers are bigger than
    Other girl's mothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Define a "big woman". Are we talking about obesity here or just having a little extra to grab onto :p?

You know, women don't have to bend to societal pressure. You can always decide "**** that".

*awaits accusations of victim blaming

You know, women don't have to bend to societal pressure. You can always decide "**** that".

I'm beginning to wonder do some people read threads at all before they contribute, or even catch up on what's been said in their absence.

Legs.Eleven addressed that point already-

It takes a strong person not to succumb to it all. I think it all comes down to looking for internal approval from yourself and to stop searching externally for it. Easier said than done.

Very few people don't bend to social pressure in some way - even you. They're usually considered renegades or outcasts or even mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Define a "big woman". Are we talking about obesity here or just having a little extra to grab onto :p?

If you'd bothered reading the thread you'd see that the last 30-odd pages have been attempting to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Surely they are caving into societal pressure if they're eating all the crap foods that's being marketed at them constantly?

As well as the pressure of 'Have some cake/sweets it's blah blahs birthday' which you get at work etc or 'Lets go to the pub / cinema' instead of exercise.

Very rarely if ever do I hear someone telling me to eat salad/go for a run/train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Naos wrote: »
    Surely they are caving into societal pressure if they're eating all the crap foods that's being marketed at them constantly?

As well as the pressure of 'Have some cake/sweets it's blah blahs birthday' which you get at work etc or 'Lets go to the pub / cinema' instead of exercise.

Very rarely if ever do I hear someone telling me to eat salad/go for a run/train.

There's a thing called personal responsibility, everyone is in control of their weight (to a certain degree) I don't need someone to tell me to eat healthy and excerise. Also from my own point of view I think the healthy eating agenda is being pushed and is usually marketed towards women.

Some people are have issues with food, some of us are programmed to like fatty food more so then others, therefore they have more urges to eat unhealthy foods, we can't blame marketing for everything, after all we have free will.
    Also there are people who are happy being overweight and are not bothered with eating healthy or excerising.

• Advertisement

Good to see I got snapped at for that comment.

I just think the societal pat on the head for being a good looking woman is not what it is cracked up to be.

T'wouldn't be my thing now. I might forgive someone for "looking after themselves", but only if they also read just the right sci-fi. Otherwise, pale and chubby all the way, male or female.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement