Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard slabbing/ Skimming Cost

• 15-11-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Hi- I have looked through posts and still not sure what going rate is for fixing plasterboard and skimming? Is €5 per board to fix plus €10 to the going rate for labour only? Any idea how much materials for skimming is going add on?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Your looking at about €18 + VAT/m2 all in for labour and materials, with materials (plasterboard & Plaster) in the region of € 3.50 + VAT/m2. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi,

I'm normally charging around €6-€8 a board (labour only) for tacking the boards. €5 is fairly tight unless it is great areas with very little cutting involved.
    Skimming is in the region of €3-€5 a square metre (labour only).
    Whatever you do don't skimp on either trade - it's finished wall you will be looking at and a good skimmer can do little with rough boarding and good boarding can be left looking bad with a bad skimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm normally charging around €6-€8 a board (labour only) for tacking the boards. €5 is fairly tight unless it is great areas with very little cutting involved.
    Skimming is in the region of €3-€5 a square metre (labour only).
    Whatever you do don't skimp on either trade - it's finished wall you will be looking at and a good skimmer can do little with rough boarding and good boarding can be left looking bad with a bad skimmer.
    Thats a ridiculous price if ever i heard one.

Can I ask how many boards you'd put up in a day?

seannash wrote: »

Why is it ridiculous? Go into a awkward roof space area, small ensuite bathroom or high hallway and 2 men might only put up 25 -30 boards in a day.
    Multiply that by €8 is €240 between 2 men...........take your tax out of that and then include a van, insurance and maybe a generator for the screwgun......it's hardly a fortune.

Sure get a couple of lads in who are signing on and tell them they are getting €50-€60 cash in the hand a day and you'll be quids in.........just don't call them if they make a balls of it:rolleyes:

How much would you pay for slabbing or skimming.........pay peanuts and you get monkeys.......i've been called in to repair donkeys work by architects/builders in the past and let me tell you......you get what you deserve when you cut corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭olie77

seannash wrote: »

HI just to say I'd happily pay €6 per board, I've worked for years as a plasterer but couldn't tack up the boards myself as I'd be way to slow and I'd never make money. If the guy putting up the boards can do 50 boards or more a day I'd be happy to pay him provided the work is done to a standard I am happy with. The amount of work done is not important but the quality is.

The only problem I found with pricing was I kept getting told I wasn't charging enough so I mustn't know what I was at. I made decent money and didn't rip people off dispite the opportunity to do so and all my customers were happy with many small builders with repeat work.

The tacking I always spent the money on as if the tacking is done to a high standard it cut my time considerably

If anybody is looking for a quality plasterer pm me as I still do small pieces as my current job is only 4 days per week so I've plenty of spare time

• Advertisement

olie77 wrote: »
    HI just to say I'd happily pay €6 per board, I've worked for years as a plasterer but couldn't tack up the boards myself as I'd be way to slow and I'd never make money. If the guy putting up the boards can do 50 boards or more a day I'd be happy to pay him provided the work is done to a standard I am happy with. The amount of work done is not important but the quality is.

The only problem I found with pricing was I kept getting told I wasn't charging enough so I mustn't know what I was at. I made decent money and didn't rip people off dispite the opportunity to do so and all my customers were happy with many small builders with repeat work.

The tacking I always spent the money on as if the tacking is done to a high standard it cut my time considerably

If anybody is looking for a quality plasterer pm me as I still do small pieces as my current job is only 4 days per week so I've plenty of spare time

Well posted........trying to do a decent days work for a normal days pay seems to be lost on some people.
    Good work is remembered long after the price is forgotten!!

Ive been doing it for 10 years.
    Yes there are awkward spots in every house but what about the straight walls or ceilings?you fly through them.

I hate to be the ones to tell you this but very very skilled tradesmen are doing a days work for 80 euros a day.
    your only slabbing,no need to glorify the process.If your at it long enough you should have your cost of tools well covered at this stage.

And yes you can get lads who are signing on to do it but you can also get people who have been doing it for a living to do it for 65.

Now ill let ye go on to tell me that you guys do a high standard of work and that cowboys charge less because there unskilled and repairing the work will cost more money.

Half the work of a good job is done for ye by the carpenters who frame out,mistakes can also lie with them.

Jesus you lads would make a forune if you done commercial office fitouts with those prices:)

How would you make a fortune in commercial office fit-outs?
    Those jobs barely exist nowadays.......i've recently done a job where i've put on over 110 boards a day with another man.
    That lasted for all of 6 days, it paid well but then it was back to looking around for work again.
    Yeah by all means charge €5 a board less 35% RCT and you'll have €3.25 a slab - put on 50 boards and you have €160 between 2 men for a days work.........hardly a fortune.
    I know skilled tradesmen also working for €70-€80 a day who are looking more at signing on because the welfare is more generous.
    I also know of a subbie who pays €3 a board gross and he's complaining he can't get "good men" to work for that money..........go figure

mfceiling wrote: »
    I know skilled tradesmen also working for €70-€80 a day
    grand so we agree you can find cheaper prices out there.
    while there contemplating going on the dole they can slab this persons house

Yeah let them at it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

just to be clear,Im not arguing that its not a perfect price for the slabber Im simply saying that in todays jobs climate you can get it for cheaper than what you quoted.

I would love if it wasnt the case because it would mean more money for me at the end of the work day but I know that theres cheaper out there and the finished product will be just as good.

Advertisement