Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 4: Spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

matrim wrote: »
    One question I didn't add lemongrass as I couldn't find any. Would it make a big difference to the taste or is there any good alternative if you can't get it?

The juice and/or rind of a lemon or a lime is a good alternative. It does need that tartness to bring it up a level. If you're stuck with only a lemon add the half the juice and half the rind, when it's done, if it's still not tart/balanced enough add the juice of the other half.

Edit/ just to say that lemon grass should be available in any veg shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

So finally got around to making this dish. I used the leftover chicken from Minders Vietnamese recipe. Will definitely be making this again. It had the right balance of spicyness with zingyness. Very refreshing. Plus I do love noodles. Thanks Mr Magnolia great recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Made this today to have as a starter before we polish off the rest of Minders vietnamese chicken. Have to say it was very tasty, never usually make oriental soups but will defo be making this again. It was packed full of flavour, I used massaman paste and added a chopped red chilli and some lime leaves to the recipe.

Enough leftovers for lunches during the week too, yum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GOSullivan27

Like the look of that dish! Gonna make it some time this week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leaving work now to go home & make this (well something very similar).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Mrs. Alex was delighted when I said I was going to make this again tonight. This is what I came up with:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7286

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm planning on making this again tonight. I couldn't find fish sauce for love nor money in Tesco last night, so what can I use as an alternative? I have oyster sauce, if that's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Faith wrote: »
    I'm planning on making this again tonight. I couldn't find fish sauce for love nor money in Tesco last night, so what can I use as an alternative? I have oyster sauce, if that's any good?

The fish sauce is I use (I think blue dragon) is made from anchovies and salt.

A quick google lead to this page:
    http://www.thaigrocer.com/VegAdapt.html

It's for vegetarian adaptation, though don't know how easy it would be to source the ingredients.

Maybe adding finely chopped/processed anchovies would add a nice flavour, but can't really think of ways to really replicate fish sauce.

Oyster sauce however, while different, might add a nice flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

I made this last night using all the ingredients listed and WOW! It was just gorgeous!

When my boyfriend came in and asked what I was cooking, I told him and he actually looked a bit disappointed. He's your typical meat and two veg kinda bloke :D
    When he tasted it however, he couldn't get enough. He actually used the word 'delectable' at one point! :D

So thanks for this. It's definitely a keeper!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Made this for dinner last night, it was so good! I used chicken thighs and Thai Red Curry paste and threw in a couple chilies for extra spice.

I'll take a photo tomorrow if there's any left for me to have for breakfast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Made it last night, oh it was delicious! I couldn't get lemongrass, so I squeezed half a lemon in and it was grand. Served with little naan breads.

Excellent recipe, thanks!

230298_10150246466475801_507880800_9144193_3270986_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Made this tonight, delicious! Left out the coconut milk to try and have it a bit healthier and added mushrooms because I have them in practically everything. Presentation could have been prettier but work rang me to come in just as I'd started cooking so I had to horse it down!

IMAG00621.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Made this earlier and it was a very tasty.

Had a tin of coconut milk in the cupboard for the last year so was looking for a recipe to clear some space.

Got a crown of chicken in the butchers for €3 and will use the carcass to make some fresh chicken stock tomorrow.

Anyone got any recipes requiring lemongrass? Only needed the 1 stalk leaving another 5 in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Anyone got any recipes requiring lemongrass? Only needed the 1 stalk leaving another 5 in the fridge.

I keep the rest of the stalks in the freezer. Seem to taste fine when I use them. There are a couple of Thai curry recipes in the Cooking Club back catalogue which probably use lemongrass too. :)

EDIT: Hah, look at today's recipe :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Tired this last night and it was amazing! Thanks a million OP. Didn't have any fish sauce but I don't think it made any difference to the dish. Will definately be making it again. Will probably add in some mushrooms and peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

made this for the first time yesterday evening, was amazing and plenty leftover for today. Will be making again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I made this today without the fish sauce and garlic.

Tasted the soup once the madras paste went in and it tasted very similar to something else I make with a cheap medium curry powder so I increased the madras paste to 4tbsp and added some ground chilli flakes, it was gorgeous.

I made this with prawns instead of chicken - still delish. And very messy to eat :pac:

I made this again last night after craving it since i'd last had it.....so good!

I even had the leftovers for breakfast :eek: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Just made this for dinner, very nice - and spicy! It doesn't have the dark red colour in the OP pic, more pale in colour but I only used two regular spoons of madras. I also added mange tout to make it a bit bulkier and worked out delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I have the recipe printed out to make this weekend! I'm not a fan of spicy food so I might try and find a mild curry paste. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't tolerate spicy foods at all. I made it with Korma paste a few times, but it ended up being too mild really! I got perfect results for me using an indian paste with two chillis on it, or a medium one. Can't remember exactly what it was though, but I know it was Pataks.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Faith wrote: »
    I can't tolerate spicy foods at all. I made it with Korma paste a few times, but it ended up being too mild really! I got perfect results for me using an indian paste with two chillis on it, or a medium one. Can't remember exactly what it was though, but I know it was Pataks.

That's brill, thanks Faith. I always see these lovely thai/indian dishes and run away cos they are too spicy for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Feeling miserable, bit of a cold - what makes your feel better and this is what I thought of.

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

This was delicious!
    Made it for the first time yesterday. I used Thai red curry paste which you could definitely taste. It was really tasty.
    I didn't have lemongrass or fish sauce. I used oyster sauce instead.

I think I'll play around with veg and chili flakes and see what happens.

Thanks for a great recipe - pity it took me so long to make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

My first ever time making a recipe from the Cooking Club, and it's a good 'un!

Well, I kind of made it - veg stock instead of chicken stock, quorn instead of chicken, masaman paste (because I had it) instead of madras, and the wrong type of noodles, because they were what I had. But it was great anyway!

Will give it another go with some veg in to bulk it up, need to think about what to choose though, don't want anything too sweet.

Thanks OP for the recipe.

I didn't realise this was such an old Cooking Club recipe! I made it last night and it fed two of us, with more for lunch today.

I added in some sweetcorn, and then some chopped scallions and red chilli pepper at the end, for a bit of colour. Yum!

I still make this every month or so, love this recipe.

I had to laugh at myself reading my comments back when I first tried the recipe as I never used garlic to cook back then but now I put it in everything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Made this a few times and always a hit.
    Did it at the weekend with a red Thai paste. Lovely and will be a regular dish for the winter

Advertisement