Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somali Pirates Conspiracy

• 28-04-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭

Something to me seems not right about the Somali pirates

Ok so they say they are only stopping toxic waste being dumped in the Ocean - I have no doubt such things are occuring but there is also evidence of attacks on boats which are merely passing through the Gulf of Aden which is plain for all to see.

The international media however seems to be over exaggerating the problem in my opinion, it makes the front page of bbc.co.uk on an almost daily basis

What are people's opinions on this? Is what is being reported actually what is happening? Or is this merely a cover up for a potential US led invasion of Somalia in attempt to prevent an Islamic militant safe-haven from developing?

I'm not usually a conspiracy theoriest, just wondering what are people's opinions on this

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The US had already invaded Somalia they would have stayed if they wanted to.

As for Islamic safe haven isn't Saudi already one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Something to me seems not right about the Somali pirates

Ok so they say they are only stopping toxic waste being dumped in the Ocean - I have no doubt such things are occuring but there is also evidence of attacks on boats which are merely passing through the Gulf of Aden which is plain for all to see.

The international media however seems to be over exaggerating the problem in my opinion, it makes the front page of bbc.co.uk on an almost daily basis

I think you are right to be sceptical to be honest, there has been piracy off Somalia's coast for the best part of the last 20 years with very little reported. Much like thousands die from the flu each year without the current hysteria, never mind TB.
    Or is this merely a cover up for a potential US led invasion of Somalia in attempt to prevent an Islamic militant safe-haven from developing?

Its a common misconception but its important to point out that the Islamic Courts Union (ICU) the former ruling power in the south and the pirates are natural enemies.

When they ruled for a short time by Sharia Law in 2006 (I think), piracy off the coast was eliminated.

It was only after US backed Ethiopia overthrew the ICU that the pirates were free to reign again. Make of that what you will

Retired General Clark
    I just got this down from upstairs”—meaning the Secretary of Defense’s office—“today.” And he said, “This is a memo that describes how we’re going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran.”

Advertisement