Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I justifed in being annoyed?

• 02-08-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've already spoken to the Citizens Advice Bureau about this issue today but just wanted to get other's opinions.

I've worked for the same company for the past 14 years off and on. For the past 5 years I've been working part time (approx 20-25 hours a week) as a result of an illness so I've been getting Partial Capacity benefit along with a medical card due to being on medication. Job is a customer support role.

I've pretty much shared this job with another colleague in the sense that ideally both of us couldn't really be out at the same time. If I was off, he'd have to be in and vice versa. I've never in all this time had either a written contract or any terms and conditions of employment. Always verbal.

This colleague handed in his notice about 2 1/2 months ago and finished up this week. When he said he was leaving, my immediate thought was that I'd be sad to see him go and also how this was going to affect me. As I said, we've basically shared the same job doing much the same duties so with him gone, potentially my workload was going to increase big time.

I've waited for the past 2 1/2 months for my boss to discuss this subject with me and as of today he still hadn't. It may seem somewhat passive aggressive, but I deliberately didn't want to be the person to bring it up as there's other reasons why I've felt somewhat taken for granted and wanted to prove a point.

We have taken on a new person to replace the guy that's left, but obviously there's going to be some time before he's completely up to speed with everything. We do have other employees that in a pinch could help out with what I do, but they have their own duties that they are incredibly busy with at the moment which I don't have any problem with.

It's not the extra workload as such that I have a problem with as this shouldn't be permanent, but more the fact that my boss hasn't bothered to discuss with me what's going to happen.

Am I right to feel somewhat annoyed that my boss is just assuming that I'm going to be ok with the extra work without any kind of discussion, or should I have been the one to bring it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I've already spoken to the Citizens Advice Bureau about this issue today but just wanted to get other's opinions.

I've worked for the same company for the past 14 years off and on. For the past 5 years I've been working part time (approx 20-25 hours a week) as a result of an illness so I've been getting Partial Capacity benefit along with a medical card due to being on medication. Job is a customer support role.

I've pretty much shared this job with another colleague in the sense that ideally both of us couldn't really be out at the same time. If I was off, he'd have to be in and vice versa. I've never in all this time had either a written contract or any terms and conditions of employment. Always verbal.

This colleague handed in his notice about 2 1/2 months ago and finished up this week. When he said he was leaving, my immediate thought was that I'd be sad to see him go and also how this was going to affect me. As I said, we've basically shared the same job doing much the same duties so with him gone, potentially my workload was going to increase big time.

I've waited for the past 2 1/2 months for my boss to discuss this subject with me and as of today he still hadn't. It may seem somewhat passive aggressive, but I deliberately didn't want to be the person to bring it up as there's other reasons why I've felt somewhat taken for granted and wanted to prove a point.

We have taken on a new person to replace the guy that's left, but obviously there's going to be some time before he's completely up to speed with everything. We do have other employees that in a pinch could help out with what I do, but they have their own duties that they are incredibly busy with at the moment which I don't have any problem with.

It's not the extra workload as such that I have a problem with as this shouldn't be permanent, but more the fact that my boss hasn't bothered to discuss with me what's going to happen.

Am I right to feel somewhat annoyed that my boss is just assuming that I'm going to be ok with the extra work without any kind of discussion, or should I have been the one to bring it up?

I'm struggling to see what your issue is. Someone left, someone new started, it's going to take newbie time to learn the ropes, this happens everyday in thousands of companies and the bosses don't necessarily discuss it with employees unless it's a very small company with only a couple of employees. Get on with your job, help bring newbie up to speed as soon as possible, you'd never know, he/she might be better than your departed colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Do you talk to your boss much? If so I think you have a right to be a little annoyed. I think it would be common courtesy to acknowledge what is happening.
    On the other hand maybe your boss doesn't need you for any part of their training so doesn't see the need for you to be involved.
    My advice would be to keep your head down say nothing and see what happens.

On a side note what advice did you expect/hope to get from citizens advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

To be honest, it seems to be worse than you make it out to be,

Because they did not include you - you feel forgotten about. This is not about you, but about replacing the person who left, which they did. Nothing should really change for you, apart from being busier in. The training up period.

You are looking for something when you should just get on with it, and air your grievances with your employer regarding the written contract.

Why would you look outside I.e. citizens advice when you should just approach your boss. It's obvious you have issues with them, face them tell them what you said here

Most problems can be solved by speaking up not sneaking around looking for them, not to mention the stress on you.

Relax, have a chat with your boss and clarify your arrangements in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From the bosses point of view, you've had two and a half months to bring it up, but you didn't. As it'll only affect you, it would've been in your favour to have brought it up. The boss may now think that as you didn't bring up the issue before your ex-colleague left, that you don't have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Plain and simple talk to your boss

Your there long enough now to approach him too.
    Effective communication is the key in.most jobs.
    No point in pondering about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement