Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can of Baked beans - profound question

Options

Comments

We're bean deceived!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Eh no I shouldn't feel bad..... are you a 'thread shamer' ? :D

All I did was compare claims using the words ''high in'' and ''low in'' despite the % relationship being totally the other way around. The substance claimed to be a ''high'' component was actually less of a % than the substance claimed to be a ''low'' component.

High in one thing and low in another thing...these things are unrelated.

If I had 3 legs and 9 fingers my body would be high in legs and low in fingers.
    That example only works because their are typically a low number of goals and a high number of points in a game.

Where is the comparison for a tin of beans? Raw beans and pulses in general have a much higher protein percentage, it's the sugary sauce that pushes the ratio out.
    Gee, do you think that, perhaps, now stick with me as this might be crazy, a can of beans normally has "less" protein and "more" sugar than this particular can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

GreeBo wrote: »
    High in one thing and low in another thing...these things are unrelated.

If I had 3 legs and 9 fingers my body would be high in legs and low in fingers.

Gee, do you think that, perhaps, now stick with me as this might be crazy, a can of beans normally has "less" protein and "more" sugar than this particular can?

Your missing finger analogy works fine for my argument as well as yours...
    Beans are naturally low in sugar so you cant exactly add sugar to beans and then claim them to be low in sugar , can you ? compared to how beans occur naturally they will be high in sugar, sort of like having an additional finger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

2 tins for 58c in Lidl, 15 fish fingers for €1.35.

2 nights worth of dinner for under €2, a beautiful thing. God bless you Lidl.

131spanner wrote: »
    2 tins for 58c in Lidl, 15 fish fingers for €1.35.

2 nights worth of dinner for under €2, a beautiful thing. God bless you Lidl.

is that all you eat over 2 days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

The Gordon Ramsay recipe for baked beans is amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2425044/Food-special-Home-baked-beans-potato-cakes.html

The tinned ones are overly sweet. Blegh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

thread has inspired me to have a tin of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Your missing finger analogy works fine for my argument as well as yours...
    Beans are naturally low in sugar so you cant exactly add sugar to beans and then claim them to be low in sugar , can you ? compared to how beans occur naturally they will be high in sugar, sort of like having an additional finger :)

It's normal to add sugar to beans though...I'm really not sure you getting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

is that all you eat over 2 days ?

Worth of dinners I said, a tin of beans and 7 fish fingers is filling!

Not the healthiest of dinners, of course, but for a lowly student... :D

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's normal to add sugar to beans though...I'm really not sure you getting this.

''Beans are low in sugars (and thats being generous to the mix of carbs) until someone adds sugar in which case they become a high in sugar product'' is my argument. Normality or abnormality has nothing to do with whether it is high or low in sugar. It doesn't make any sense to tie conventions concerning normality to this. That sort of thinking basically means they can continue to call it low in sugar even if the marketing Dept had pulled off the task of convincing everyone that a Kilo of sugar added per can was ''normal.'' (Adding any sugar artificially would automatically make me view it as being high in sugar but thats' just my opinion.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Is it not the bean that has the protein? If so wash the sauce off them & there's all your protein

Just sayin

delw wrote: »
    Is it not the bean that has the protein? If so wash the sauce off them & there's all your protein

Just sayin

Of course thats where the protein is but who can resist the Tomato sauce !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brennans bread advertise their white slice pan as being a source of protein.

They seem to have pre-empted complaints and so point out the regulation which allows them to just about legally make this claim.

http://www.brennansbread.ie/family-pan/

Corrigendum to Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 on nutrition and health claims made on food

Source of Protein

A claim that a food is a source of protein, and any claim likely to have the same meaning for the consumer, may only be made where at least 12% of the energy value of the food is provided by protein.

The calculation below uses the protein conversion factor of 4 kcal/g to determine the amount of the energy from protein in the product:

% energy from protein =

Grams of protein per 100g of product x Conversion factor for protein x 100

Total Energy per 100g 1

Brennans Family Pan grams of protein per 100g is 8.7g

Brennans Family Pan calories per 100g is 219kcals

Brennans Family Pan % energy from protein:

8.7g x 4kcal/g x 100 = 15.89%

219kcals 1

Therefore meets outlined criteria above.

Low Fat

A claim that a food is low in fat, and any claim likely to have the same meaning for the consumer, may only be made where the product contains no more than 3g of fat per 100g for solids or 1.5g fat per 100ml for liquids (1.8g of fat per 100ml for semi-skimmed milk).

Brennans Family Pan contains 1.4g of fat per 100g of product, therefore meeting the criteria for the claim above.

I saw that and actually thought that ''bodybuilder'' bread advert was weird. They should be careful that on the ground the consumer will probably slag the advert when he sees it with people who are around him. Same thing with protein milk ... better protein but doesnt seem like a lot more ...

My personal hate however is reserved for the McDonalds ad which is pure propaganda against Avocados and other amazing foods.... How is that one legal ? In a time when people are discussing a ''junk food tax'' and blaming fast food for so many health issues (instead of the choices individuals make), does McDonalds really have any self awareness of what it just did with that advert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

:o:o:o:o:o
    If the protein in a can of baked beans is much less than 5% and the sugar added to a can is 5% then how can they market themselves as ''high in protein'' and ''low in sugar'' ?

How does any of that make sense when the reality is their notable feature is being high in carbs instead ? A fact conveniently ignored ?

what a load of rubbish over a can of beans. try the real world!

Apologies but being new here may I ask if I allowed to ask this poster if he is mental ? The correct response to rubbish is to ignore it. The correct response to a topic which interests you is to contribute towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The correct response to rubbish is to ignore it.

Ignore rubbish? Why?

catallus wrote: »
    Ignore rubbish? Why?

what a load of pedantic rubbish over a can of beans thread . try the real world!

Are you saying the beans aren't real?

Because I have my suspicions too.

We must speak of this further.

Are you saying the beans aren't real?

Because I have my suspicions too.

We must speak of this further.

I can upload pictures of the cans in question which are now serving out a considerable period of solitary confinement in my kitchen cupboard !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Lapin wrote: »
    Might as well make this worth our while.

There are 11 spoonfulls of sugar in a can of cider.

How many cans of cider do I need to drink each day to meet my recommended daily allowance (30 gms) of sugar ?

3. Assuming gms stands for "Great Massive Spoonfuls"

Yes yes yes, it is all very well to see the beans, to hold the beans, but the salient question here is: what are the beans, categorically?

Do they exist as they are? Or are they as you see them, as you perceive them?

Can one truly perceive the bean(s)? And if so is it at the cost of knowing something other than the beans?

Yes yes yes, it is all very well to see the beans, to hold the beans, but the salient question here is: what are the beans, categorically?

Do they exist as they are? Or are they as you see them, as you perceive them?

Can one truly perceive the bean(s)? And if so is it at the cost of knowing something other than the beans?

It's not the beans which make a can. It's the space between the beans which actually defines the beans.

It's not the beans which make a can.

I can't, in good conscience, subscribe to this heretical proposition.

How on earth can the can be with no beans?

No. The can and the beans are one, and are at one, at that.

I can't, in good conscience, subscribe to this heretical proposition.

How on earth can the can be with no beans?

No. The can and the beans are one, and are at one, at that.

The space inside a can of beans if removed would result in a singularity which would bean apocalypse.

If there was no space between the individual beans though then what would you have on your hands ? It would not be a can of beans. Perhaps it would be a block of bean protein/curd but not a can of individual beans as we know them.

I am presuming that the space between the individual beans (if they do, in fact, exist at all) is filled with tomato sauce?

That goes without saying, I would have thought?

I am presuming that the space between the individual beans (if they do, in fact, exist at all) is filled with tomato sauce?

That goes without saying, I would have thought?

but the space between the atoms of both sauce and beans is larger than the actual space taken up by the protons,neutrons and electrons...

This is a common misconception. The atoms are space. There is nothing (or nothingness, if you want to get all Heideggerian about it) between the atoms, but only space between what the atoms constitute.

This is a common misconception. The atoms are space. There is nothing (or nothingness, if you want to get all Heideggerian about it) between the atoms, but only space between what the atoms constitute.

but without the space between them actually makes them what they are

• Advertisement

but without the space between them actually makes them what they are

It's that type of materialist relativism that has us in this bloody mess, can't you see???? :mad:

Advertisement