Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greyhound Waste Lock Out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

If the scab was an ugly fat man there would be no sympathy online.

Since when does one person have the right to physically prevent another from going to his/her workplace?

Tell you what, my mates and I disapprove of you going to a meeting of your political party, or your line dancing, or whatever activity you partake. Would you have a problem with us physically holding you back from going to it?

The very people who'd be the first to shout about their own civil liberties seem to have no problem with trampling over others'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Most of the strikers will accept the redundancy terms, IMO, as it will be virtually impossible for them to go back to work under the proposed new conditions.
    Assuming Greyhound will take on and directly employ a smaller number of strike breakers than people made redundant, it still means the people who go back to work would have to work with the strikebreakers and all that it entails
    Trying to get a new job with 'Greyhound' on your CV could be very difficult.

I think Greyhound management should go on a course to learn how to properly manage a business

But as much as I support anyone refusing to take such a massive pay cut, the tactics of the striking/locked out men leave a sour taste in the mouth
    I've been on strike and to the best of my knowledge a picket must either keep moving or not cause an obstruction.

But that video of the person, who I presume is admin, being bullied and harassed is awful.

I also think the men's cause was hijacked by most left wing groups in the country too

P_1 wrote: »
    Yes but isn't strike pay one of the things that your union subs are meant to cover. It must be a bit galling to see the likes of Begg on his 6 figure salary telling you to apply for the dole

You're not entitled to Dole when on strike. You have a job, but chose not to work, so you are not unemployed. Unions pay strike pay, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

This is different though - she's an employee also, therefore they feel she should automatically be in solidarity with them. They're ***** for their behaviour of course though.
    If the scab was an ugly fat man there would be no sympathy online.
    Speak for yourself. YOU might have no sympathy but you're not everyone else.

You're not entitled to Dole when on strike. You have a job, but chose not to work, so you are not unemployed. Unions pay strike pay, don't they?
    Didn't the person you quoted say that also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

As far as I know you're right. That's why I was suggesting that Begg and the likes are about as useful as a chocolate teapot to be offering that sort of advice.
    This is different though - she's an employee also, therefore they feel she should automatically be in solidarity with them. They're ***** for their behaviour of course though.

Speak for yourself. YOU might have no sympathy but you're not everyone else.

Which is utterly ridiculous. Nobody should be forced to act the pawn in another's game of chess.

Didn't the person you quoted say that also?

Yes. I was agreeing with it. Can't understand the union sending them to the Dole office. Only 20% of the workers are on strike and are trying to force their views on the other 80%. The Union's not doing itself any favours with allowing this intimidation continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well its a long drawn out strike in all fairness

Job seekers allowance/benefit as per the name is for job seekers

SIPTU should not be telling their members to apply.

SIPTU can increase the strike pay if they want, they have millions in reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That video is absolutely shocking. Those strikers are an aggressive bunch of thugs and bullies. And you have these sort of comments under it:

"Ha i nearly feel sorry for her she is made up like a disney princess ,and looked like she was going to cry about 20 times, but sure it would have ruined her make-up,welcome to reality sleeping beauty."

"GARDA **** IN A CORNER - ****ING SCUM, UP THE WORKERS AND **** ALL SCABBING BASTARDS."

What a disgusting lot, and their supporters aren't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/usWq8uwsI0E

The real face of unions.

not the real face of unions at all. i'd rather have no job then be in one without a union
    Time these people woke up an smelled the coffee.

no its not. they are right to fight it. we all would if we could.
    We've all taken pay cuts - in my case increasing 10% cuts, redundancy and then the company I worked for closed.

so? "i have to do it so everyone else has to" the world doesn't work like that.
    Disgraceful behaviour against this girl.

yes, but she did cross a picket, so she knew what to expect. she knew what the reaction would be and did it anyway. so she isn't totally innocent here i'm afraid

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

yes, but she did cross a picket, so she knew what to expect. she knew what the reaction would be and did it anyway. so she isn't totally innocent here i'm afraid

Isn't totally innocent? What did she do wrong? She should be allowed to go to work without being harassed and insulted.

Smash the Unions?

how and for what? so we can bring back slave labour? if vermin like loony ronny and mrs thatcher couldn't get rid of unions nobody can. the unions can't be smashed even with violence.
    Plenty unemployed people who would jump at a job

i couldn't care a less. most likely these people were to up themselves and thought they were better then these jobs during the boom so they don't deserve them now anyway.
    a company can grow this way

yes. by removing workers rights

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Do you have a source for that? Not knocking your argument but given this is such an emotive topic it is best not to rely on secondary sources.

If that is the case then one's sympathy towards the strikers would have to go down yet another notch. I'd wager you'd get quite a lot of people happy to come out with a 19k net paycheck these days.

I was watching it being discussed on TV. VB I believe. The one supporting the workers - not sure what her capacity was - was asked how much they earned a week and she sidestepped her answer. She was asked again when not forthcoming and said they only get 570 per week (which works out at 30k that others here have been quoting), in continuing her answer of how difficult it is to take a cut off that amount on that level of income, she said we're talking 570 a week NET which is not a huge amount of money to start with. She slipped it in that it was net but nobody of course picked up on it.
    When I saw someone else saying they only get 30k, I assumed this is the line they're putting out as always happens when workers go on strike and try to make things sound as bad as possible while technically speaking the truth....

With any luck the guy that owns greyhound winds it up on a Friday and reopens greyhound 2 on a Monday morning with all the people that want to work.

and if that happens hopefully the strikers will picket it and put it out of business again so the owner gets nothing and is reluctant to bid for contracts for services that should be done by the state anyway
    Theres no way I'd be letting those ****ers back near my business if I was the owner.

nothing you could do. if you bully workers you deserve what you get. if people want to come near a business to punish it for bullying them when they worked for it then they will
    Wonder how many will swap the dole for 65% of their previous salary?

nobody hopefully. they would be stupid to do so.
    Would they prefer 100%?

if it meant bucklies not getting another contract maybe. i wouldnt' mind seeing that happen myself.
    According to the management they would still be on more than the industry average.

and the perfect management would never lie? i forgot shur tis the private sector so they always tell the truth.
    Haven't heard it disputed.

the fact they are on strike is dispute enough
    Maybe that's why they havnt gone and gotten jobs with other waste firms........

the company has to keep them on the same terms and conditions as the council did so why would and should they go to another firm. keep these services publically run and there will be no problem

. if you bully workers you deserve what you get.

Like the picketers were bullying that worker?

She should have expected it for crossing the picket line?
    But I thought that wasn't the true face of unions?

Disgusting bullies. Sympathy plummeting tbh.

The reason plenty of people think unions can be done away with is because they have been largely replaced with legislation.

or because they are an employer who don't want unions to make it difficult for them to treat their employees how they see fit. legislation on its own isn't good enough anyway. we need unions to enforce it and for the most part they do.
    Theres a minimum wage now.

and? i wonder how many would try not paying that if they could get away with it? lets face it the authorities don't have enough resources to check every employer.

This. The sense of entitlement from these workers is sickening.

its not sickening at all as theres no sense of entitlement. just workers unhappy with the ridiculous amount of the pay cut (which lets face it bucklies can afford to pay) . 10 % would be reasonable.
    If you are worth €30k to a company, then you will have no problem getting a job for that salary at another company.

if the jobs are there. which there isn't enough of them.
    The problem is they know they aren't worth anything near to that salary

they don't know. they are worth either that salary, or anything near it, otherwise they wouldn't have got it in the first place.
    there's no chance of them getting a salary that size at any other company.

there might. they are right. 35 % is taking the mick.

I'd wager you'd get quite a lot of people happy to come out with a 19k net paycheck these days.

if they are foreign nationals. the rest wouldn't have been happy with that during the boom they would have thought that wage was beneeth them

Isn't totally innocent? What did she do wrong? She should be allowed to go to work without being harassed and insulted.
    yes, but there must be another entrance she could have gone in.

• Advertisement

She should have expected it for crossing the picket line?
    But I thought that wasn't the true face of unions?

Disgusting bullies. Sympathy plummeting tbh.
    they don't need it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

the company has to keep them on the same terms and conditions as the council did so why would and should they go to another firm. keep these services publically run and there will be no problem
    None of them are ex-council workers. That has been established earlier in the thread.

I work practically beside the greyhound depot. For the most part they were chanting 'scabs out' at the trucks, but there was one incident where the workers, mostly women, tried to leave through a side entrance and were pushed and jostled around the place by these scumbags.

yes, but there must be another entrance she could have gone in.

You haven't answered anything with that.
    so she isn't totally innocent here i'm afraid

How so? What did she do wrong?

Walked through a picket because apparently she should just automatically join it on the basis of working there - fanaticism. So by force rather than choice apparently. So much for democratic marxist principles.

I support the existence of unions but this is the kind of crazed militancy I have never respected.
    An example of how extreme it can get was back in the 80s a couple of lads during the miners' strike in England throwing a big concrete slab (from an overhead bridge) onto the taxi that was driving a guy to work. There was a fatality... the taxi-driver.

knowingly crossing a picket knowing the reaction she would get

Walked through a picket because apparently she should just automatically join it on the basis of working there - fanaticism. So by force rather than choice apparently. So much for democratic marxist principles.

I support the existence of unions but this is the kind of crazed militancy I have never respected.
    An example of how extreme it can get was back in the 80s a couple of lads during the miners' strike in England throwing a big concrete slab (from an overhead bridge) onto the taxi that was driving a guy to work. There was a fatality... the taxi-driver.
    and nobody condoned it. but thats the sort of thing thatcher wanted to turn everyone against the miners as part of her dream to remove the jobs and rights of the working and lower classes, and remove social state run services and give them away to her little buddies.

Much as I loathed Margaret Thatcher, I'ma blame the fellas who threw the slab, not her.

She was going to work, that's not doing anything wrong. Your absolute hypocrisy for calling out bosses for bullying workers and not condemning the picketers for doing exactly the same thing is telling, and coming from you not very surprising.

Much as I loathed Margaret Thatcher, I'ma blame the fellas who threw the slab, not her.
    yes. all i said is that sort of thing was what the likes of thatcher wanted for their own agendas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The strikers are striking, she's not. Why should she do without her wages because of someone else's grievance with the company?

Advertisement