Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would love to give the auld fiddle a fiddle

Options
  • 13-12-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Yep I guess this has probably been asked here many a time before but I really would like to pick up a fiddle and have a fiddle with it. (not like that ya dirty b**).
    So I'm in me 30's mostly into indie/alternative music and edm but have an a appreciation of trad music but I don't listen to as much as I should.
    I can play guitar btw (but not so much now as I should) and used to play in an indie band many moons ago.
    I would love to start on a fiddle now and learn some tunes and maybe in a about a year start playing in some sessions.
    How do you recommend I start this process, I'm on a pretty crap wage at the moment thanks to a career change (IT) so I kinda have to start at the bottom price wise.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

Im learning it the last 6 months meself. I have been playing trad music on banjo and guitar about 7 years though. It helps if you have a good ear because you have to find the right note and this takes a while even for me. The bow is very important to keep straight and make sure to go up and down constantly(there is sometimes slurring but dont worry about that for now). Dont expect to playing in sessions anytime soon though. Where you based ?I could give you lessons at a reasonable price. Im not playing fiddle long but i know what im at.

Advertisement