Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomadation for fleadh 2013

• 24-08-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey all,

I will be travelling to derry for the fleadh ceol on 2013. As i have never been before, im not really sure where to look for accom. some mentioned that diamond square is fairly centeral.

Will be looking for a good size house to rent for a week from 14th Aug t0 20th Aug 2013, so anyone on here with a house to rent in derry city center or know of anything please get in touch

thanks

di de diddly di de dum di diddly di di dum!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Contact a few of the local estate agents and see how you go. I'm not sure that you will be able to rent a house for only one week to be honest but what's the harm in asking. Derry is a fairly compact city so most places are within walking distance.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you be interested in a hostel?

http://www.fairmanhouse.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Another person here interested in this issue. Perhaps a sticky on this forum until after the Fleadh because there seem to be a lot of shysters taking advantage of people?

On Booking.com the City Hotel in Derry is charging €1,472.05 for a double room for two nights. See it with your own eyes (Friday 16 August & Saturday 17 August 2013)

The cheapest hotels available seem to be in Letterkenny, c. 40km away. Is there anywhere in rural Derry or Donegal that would be a good accommodation choice and have any of the hotels outside Derry city the foresight to run a complimentary bus/shuttle service during the Fleadh?

The Iona Inn guesthouse in Derry city is available for €202 for the same nights, but the reviews are terrifying.

Anybody have serious accommodation options for a couple looking for a bit of culture for that weekend? Ideally we'd like to be able to be somewhere near the centre to hear the seisiúin on the streets at 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for the fleadh in cavan the organisors had a whol network of people offering spare rooms for a night or 2 and there was a campsite also organised.
    I'd say leave it to nearer the time if nothing is coming up on the hotel booking websites.

Its also worth mentioning that some hotels dont really release their rooms so far in advance online. Its about 10 months now till the fleadh so maybe go back to the old fashoned telephone and ring around to see if theres hotels that have beds that arent being advertised?

for the fleadh in cavan the organisors had a whol network of people offering spare rooms for a night or 2 and there was a campsite also organised.

True, very true. They did, and I know of people who ended up without accommodation at a petrol station in Cavan and the attendant made a few phone calls and fixed them up with accommodation in a friend's house.

I like taking the piss out of Kyaavan people as they are all mean bastards. However, I'll say it quietly and only once, the entire town was absolutely brilliant for all three fleánna there. There were so many examples of warmth and kindness and generosity throughout it. It is one of the few examples I've seen of an entire community pulling together to work collectively for the area. Much respect.

The problem with leaving it until later is that prices absolutely rocket, or at least this was the case in Cavan each year. My problem in each year was not knowing when to book, because each time I tried to book the prices were unrealistic. I expect to pay more, but €200 per night for a 3 star for any night should be a source of shame to the people concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Seanchai wrote: »
    <snip>
    The problem with leaving it until later is that prices absolutely rocket, or at least this was the case in Cavan each year. My problem in each year was not knowing when to book, because each time I tried to book the prices were unrealistic. I expect to pay more, but €200 per night for a 3 star for any night should be a source of shame to the people concerned.
    ach, to be honest its not that far out of kilter.

The Cavan crystal for example is the guts of 160 to 180 per room normally.
    I've been to a wedding in Sligo when the rooms were over 200 euro and that was nothing more than a 3 star (well, they displayed 4 stars but they are anything but!)
    If you go to Dublin when theres a big event you'll be looking at the guts of 200 euro.
    In Munich or other cities on the continent the biggest dives that might only be 50euro a night normally look for over 200 euro when theres big demand.

Best try and get a b+b as they tend not to pull the pish as much as hotels. Maybe something just out the road on the Donegal side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

this is not the last you have heard of this issue. The authorities are unofficially saying on the qt that there is simply not enough accom in Derry for this event. they are desparately looking for pupil to offer rooms, houses, anything to put visitors up.

Good luck

kboc wrote: »
    this is not the last you have heard of this issue. The authorities are unofficially saying on the qt that there is simply not enough accom in Derry for this event. they are desparately looking for pupil to offer rooms, houses, anything to put visitors up.

Good luck

If Cavan town (3607, urban population) can do it, Derry (93,512, urban population) can do it. But definitely Derry's population is going to have to be part of the success of Derry in terms of accommodation (and many other things) just as Cavan's population was.

I think there was an official advert recently in the local media for people willing to offer good standard accommodation for the event.

Bottom line is that the city has a lack of hotel rooms. For normal tourist trade what we have now is probably more than enough, but for the CoC and the Fleadh there is going to be a massive supply problem. I think 5 or 6 new hotels were touted for being open for 2012, but only 1 will be finished, with others being ready in 2013 (no point in that).

I can see a lot of people having to stay outside the city, but thats not very practical if you are staying in say Donegal, and are trying to get back out to your accommodation if in Derry late in the evening. Transport is also an issue.

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Seanchai wrote: »
    Another person here interested in this issue. Perhaps a sticky on this forum until after the Fleadh because there seem to be a lot of shysters taking advantage of people?

On Booking.com the City Hotel in Derry is charging €1,472.05 for a double room for two nights. See it with your own eyes (Friday 16 August & Saturday 17 August 2013)

The cheapest hotels available seem to be in Letterkenny, c. 40km away. Is there anywhere in rural Derry or Donegal that would be a good accommodation choice and have any of the hotels outside Derry city the foresight to run a complimentary bus/shuttle service during the Fleadh?

The Iona Inn guesthouse in Derry city is available for €202 for the same nights, but the reviews are terrifying.

Anybody have serious accommodation options for a couple looking for a bit of culture for that weekend? Ideally we'd like to be able to be somewhere near the centre to hear the seisiúin on the streets at 4am.
    Try booking directly on the city hotel's website where the rooms are showing for £159 - £174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

<SNIP>

Check the various estate agents websites to see what similar size houses nearby are going for and work from that. I'd suggest sticking an ad on adverts.ie/gumtree offering the house, classifieds in local paper probably won't be much use considering who your aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guttenberg, I forgot to remove that post as the member concerned has been banned. Accordingly I have removed the quoted text from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Upperthird

Cuddlylad.It maybe difficult to find accomodation in and around Derry city. I live 6 miles from city centre in Donegal.should be plenty of houses to rent.I'm involved in a local Gaa club we are looking to set up camp site,all facilities in place secure parking,showering, toilets,Bar,dance hall etc,the village has two restaurant pubs takeaways all 10 minutes from City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Was the fella that owns the travellers site out by Ballyarnett not recently denied permission to expand to allow for tourists? There was one being made for the year in St Columbs Park but I think Limavady Rd/Browning Drive are too opposed to it.

No harm, but no way I'd camp out beside those travellers.

Another one if you don't mind being 10 mile outside the city

http://www.clunellyhouse.com/

Another B&B I forgot about, on the outskirts of town, maybe £7 taxi from city centre
    http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Nightingale-House-Londonderry-Derry-P17729

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 APB18

Theres a few small hotels just outside the city
    The White Horse Hotel is on the way n from the airport to the c.c and the transport is quite good,
    The Inn at the cross on the way from Belfast
    The Everglades and the waterfoot are ones people usually forget about!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    I sued the date of the 1st night
    That wasn't very romantic :eek:

:D:D

I see Dan Tyminski (the guy behind Man of Constant Sorrow in O Brother Where Art Thou and Alison Krauss band) is coming during the week too.
    You might have seen him on RTE TV on the Transatlantic Sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MixedUpMick

Looking for a 2 or 3 bed house/apartment in the city for the weekend of the fleadh, Friday 16th to Monday 19th August inclusive. If anyone has something available, please reply to this thread or send me a pm.

We can provide a reference from the agent we dealt with for the last three years in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Coming all the way up from Wexford for Thursday till Sunday. One of the lads says he has something vis a vis accommadation. As usual it's a last minute thing. Hardly left it too late did we?

Check Gumtree, on the Co.Derry section, I have seen a few people advertising places recently. More probably will appear.

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=fleadh&search_location=United+Kingdom&category=all&search_scope=title

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MixedUpMick

NIMAN thanks for the tip about gumtree. We got a great a deal on a place in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

Anyone know for deffo are there official campsites ?

Yeah I seen official signs last couple of days pointing to 'FAMILY CAMP SITE' and 'MOTOR HOME CAMPSITE', so there must be ones organised.

Just found this link on the official website
    http://www.derryvisitor.com/Fleadh-Cheoil-na-hireann-Camping.T1210.aspx

Advertisement