Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a smallish boost in performance.

• 16-07-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to give my ageing machine a small performace boost so I can take advantage of some of the cheap games in the Steam sale, I'm not looking to get to super hi-res for new games, just something that will smoothly run games that have been released over the last few years.
    My current machine is fine for older games (TF2, Portal) but I would like to give it a little boost. I really don't want to spend much more than about €100.

Current spec (it's a bit old but be gentle):
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache
    - BFG OC NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    - 4GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 Platinum XTC (5-5-5) Dual Channel kit
    - Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4, nForce-650i SLI
    - Hard disk: can't remember the spec, nothing special HDD

So I was wondering what you would think would be worth upgrading a little (if anything), as I said I am not looking for cutting edge stuff, I was thinking of just picking up a new video card for €100, or would that be a waste. Maybe a second 8800GT SLI (do they even sell them anymore)?...dont think I could upgrade the CPU for my budget. Would a SSD improve performance any?

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

A SSD would improve loading times but if its increased FPS you're after then I'd recommend upgrading your GPU. You can use This to compare your 8800GT to other cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your socket will take a Quad, if you shop around you can get a Q6600 for €40-50 second hand.

This will gut your GPU budget, but would help everyday performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Upgrade in the following order:

1) graphics card.

2) ssd.

3) cpu.

Cpu you have is fine for most games out there tbh....

A €100 spent on a gfx card will have a much greater impact on gaming performance than getting a cpu.

Ssd will make windows run more smoothly for day to day use and will make the pc feel much more responsive than upgrading the cpu.

Then save up to replace motherboard, ram and motherboard. You can always transfer over the ssd and gfx card to the new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Buy a secondhand 8800 and chuck it in there for SLI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Thanks all for your feedback, food for thought, I imagine I will probably end up going over budget if past experience is anything to go by :o
    Buy a secondhand 8800 and chuck it in there for SLI?

I guess I would be reluctant to go the SLI route because of the extra noise and power consumption, I often leave the machine on all day and as far as I am aware it is not possible to switch off one of the cards when not in use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement