Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Bit of a monster post incoming!

Over the past few weeks I have done quite a bit of work on the car:

Oil Change
    Full Coolant Flush
    Oil Filter
    Air Filter
    Vanos Seals
    Rocker Cover Gasket
    New Battery
    Engine Bay Detail
    Troubleshooting airbag fault with the help of rebel.ranter
    Paint Correction
    Various other Detailing Jobs...
    Mechanic is doing rear suspension bushes at the minute
    Taxed it...
    NCT next week

First job was the Vanos seals, the M54 engine has variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust cams, it uses oil pressure to push pistons against a splined shaft which advances / retards the camshaft. The pistons have rubber o rings and teflon seals, the rubber o rings break down over time and oil pressure is lost which means the pistons cant adjust the rotation of the camshaft, particularly on the intake side which has a strong spring to return the camshaft to the default position. This leads to:

A loss in high end power
    Reduced low end torque (easy to stall the engine)
    Reduced economy

You can get a new Vanos Unit from BMW but it will fail again after ~20k miles or so as the rubber o rings will break down. Beisan Systems do a kit with new teflon seals and more resilient viton o rings that will see the car out.

The Vanos unit is on the front of the engine and there's a fair bit of disassembly to get it out

Radiator Fan
    Cabin Filter Housing
    Coil Packs
    Rocker Cover etc all have to come off

Cabin Filter housing removal
    244259.JPG

I'm a big BMW fan eh? eh? :pac:
    75bwn.jpg

Coil Packs removed
    244260.JPG

Rocker Cover Removed
    244261.JPG

Timing chain appears to be in good condition and is very tight which is good i suppose!
    244262.JPG

Vanos unit removed, You can see the chain tensioner, and the splined shafts in the intake and exhaust cams
    244263.JPG

Vanos Unit out on the bench
    19q7f.jpg

Exploded View of Vanos components
    9hz5q.jpg

You need to split the old teflon seals with a sharp stanley blade or something to remove them so the vice was the handiest way to do this without losing a finger
    4sger.jpg

Old seals, you can see the rubber o rings were hard and perished. The pistons literally fell out of the cylinders.
    r21vv.jpg

Heres an empty clean piston, Once the new seals were installed it took considerable force and much cursing to get the pistons back into the cylinders and once they were in they were rock solid, it must take huge oil pressure to move them :cool:
    j6wj7.jpg

Re-assembly of the Vanos Unit
    h3lzz.jpg

These f*ckers are left hand thread, they are cheap from the dealers so I got new ones as its easy break them on removal
    i5anm.jpg

This ridiculous 3/4 inch drive ratchet adds some comedy value but is actually ideal for opening BMW oil filter housings, I think it was a 36mm socket
    n01ec.jpg

Vanos Unit and Rocker Cover back on along with new rocker cover gasket kit.
    zhqcc.jpg

After I had everything back together I detailed the engine bay, will get some pics when its back from the mechanic. and after that I moved onto exterior detailing..

Bootlid before:
    gor9l.jpg

Bootlid after:
    ib003.jpg

Tyres dressed and alloys blacklight'd and HD wax'd
    hpuah.jpg

Rear Quarter, corrected and blacklight'd and HD wax'd came up unreal I have to say!
    r5lpf.jpg

NEW TOYS!

fmwp1.jpg

tr3ig.jpg

Pressed plates, ABS plastic matt black grills, new black centre caps and ///M gels for the MV2s, airbag control unit and a shiny new 3 month tax disc which cost more than all the other items combined which is pretty funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Ah proper quality photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Funny number plates.... I always thought Killkenny was KK on a reg plate and not C?

166man wrote: »
    Funny number plates.... I always thought Killkenny was KK on a reg plate and not C?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

166man wrote: »

It is I noticed that too thought they looked abit odd. We live in kilkenny and anything we bought new had a kk plate c is cork isn't it.
    Edit: get what your doing with the plates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

conzy wrote: »
    ;)

Yep just got it there...:o

Go raibh míle...:D

NCT next week............
    ;)

Dunno if the county name being there is still a fail or not :confused:
    Is that one of the silly things they stopped looking at?

Have you had the car off the road for a while so?

RoverJames wrote: »

Have you had the car off the road for a while so?

Correct county name is a requirement, I believe some NCT centres will place stickers on for you, either way it currently has legit plates for the test

23442.jpg

Moved to Wexford Street in Dublin back in September, Car was off the road since November as I wasnt using it :( I think it was parked for a full month at one stage :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Good stuff Conzy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Back to extra crappy quality photos!!! :pac:

Bit's and bobs :)
    Image2732_zps9a60a1de.jpg

All that sh*te caused by these boyos
    Image2733_zps872e3cb6.jpg

It's my own fault for not checking them in the first place. Go easy on me :o

Sure how would this seal anything? :confused:
    Image2734_zps924db992.jpg

At least the pipe shot in :)
    Image2735_zps64b464c2.jpg

And I'm up and running again :D

Good grief the engine sounds horrendous :(
    Ah jaysus....another "I have a lovely garage" bastard :(

I'll spare you the shame and not put pics of our one up. Tis not for public eyes ;)

• dgt wrote: »
    As Alan stated, I get my kicks from turning crap into visual crap but something special to me underneath. I do what I do because it's what I enjoy, I learn as I go along, I face new challenges with each car. It's the problem solving; how I did it, why it went wrong, where I can improve things etc.... I set my vision on how I want each car to turn out and stick as close to it as I can. I do it all on the cheap, specifically to point out I can have fun in a car that cost as much as a bag of chips...

Now if I drove a dull, generic, soul-less blandbox that never went wrong, wouldn't you all miss my pic heavy updates of engines being torn out, suspension work, brakes, tyre swapping with balancing, re-wiring looms for toys, welding, painting etc?

I'm not a mechanic either, I learned a lot of this stuff myself and the heavier more interesting stuff from my dad who was a mechanic since he was 14

Like this update I'm sharing... On diesel pumps :D I had to research it myself, spend hours gawking through forums, deciding what was optimal, what interchanges. I've only dismantled the pump so far, still waiting for my seal kit then I'll crack on with rebuilding it :)

I love your attitude! I love reading your posts (as well as other members) and I've learned a thing or two from you. I was happy out with myself recently when I put my aul banger of a van through the DOE after she failed on a list of things and I was tempted just to scrap her there and then but I didn't have the heart to. Ended up fixing everything myself (mostly wear and tear bits) for half nothing. The alternator even died while I was fixing her up for the re-test and I changed it myself! I was delighted with myself! :o Learned a lot that week. The van drives better than ever now and have no intention of getting rid of her. I know it was small things that I did but I pick up all these small bits of DIY info from ye guys. Thanks! :D

Jayypers cheers for that post! Glad to hear some of what I put up was put to good use :D

I'm not totally useless so :p

• dgt wrote: »
    Jayypers cheers for that post! Glad to hear some of what I put up was put to good use :D

I'm not totally useless so :p

Complete opposite!

shaaane wrote: »
    Complete opposite!

Most definitely :cool:

• RoverJames wrote: »

I remember years ago around the time the NCT was introduced, a neighbor of mine failed because his plate said Limerick instead of Luimneach. Everything else was 100%! To be honest, his reg was the only one I've ever seen that had the county name printed on it in English

OSI wrote: »

Ah you got another airbag cu. Did it cost you much in the end? Much coding involved?

Collecting the car this morning and fitting it this afternoon, best case scenario is disconnect the battery and do a straight swap. After that it may or may not need to be coded. Worst case scenario it needs a software update which is a lot more complicated I'm told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Collecting the car this morning and fitting it this afternoon, best case scenario is disconnect the battery and do a straight swap. After that it may or may not need to be coded. Worst case scenario it needs a software update which is a lot more complicated I'm told

Give me a call if you are stuck with this as the minimum you need is to get the VIN coded, so the airbag module knows what airbags are present in the car. It could come from a car with airbags on the rear etc.
    Crash data might need to be reset too, but rarely the case and the same module can work up to 3 crashes. After that it needs reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

New battery fitted. Why oh why is the new battery never exactly the dimensions of the last one? Although, 60yoyo = pretty good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

langdang wrote: »
    New battery fitted. Why oh why is the new battery never exactly the dimensions of the last one? Although, 60yoyo = pretty good price.

Is it the same code? Should be pretty much the same size if it's the same battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Is it the same code? Should be pretty much the same size if it's the same battery.
    No it's not in this case, never seems to be the same code. I must have the worst luck with motorfactors, I dunno have I ever come out with the right thing unless I physically picked it out myself.

054 "should be" equivalent to a 057 allegebly, but in my case it was unhelpfully taller and narrower than the 057 it replaced.
    Last two times the batteries I've received from other motor factors have been shorter than original, just a bit shorter than the adjustment in clamp would allow for.

edit - I can see how these things happen actually, I just jumbled up the codes myself there

Brought my 20 year old Corolla to the NCT. Passed every test but didn't do the sideways front & rear axle test as there was a worn link in the back. Went to local motor factors, bought two new drop links, dropped over to my parents, my dad was more than happy to give me a hand then putting two new drop links into in the rear of the car even in the horrible day that it was. Glad I decided to replace both actually - the NCT cert had it on the driver's side, while the worn one was clearly on the passenger side.

Happy with my (our) work today, looking forward to the retest to get another year of cheap motoring out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Dónal wrote: »
    Happy with my (our) work today, looking forward to the retest to get another year of cheap motoring out of the car.

Good stuff - those auld buses are pretty tough

New trim...
    Image2736_zps6e6dbd6a.jpg

Adjusting the wastegate
    Image2737_zps64019202.jpg

Must adjust it more :(

Found source of oil Leak - had car with a "mechanic" last Saturday to fit knock sensor, he didnt manage to fit it - he also left a hose unattached so I had to return to him as brakes were not working - leak started since then - I noticed one of the bolts on the front of the rocker cover now are missing - anyone know where I would get one on a Sunday morning?

00833827 wrote: »
    Found source of oil Leak - had car with a "mechanic" last Saturday to fit knock sensor, he didnt manage to fit it - he also left a hose unattached so I had to return to him as brakes were not working - leak started since then - I noticed one of the bolts on the front of the rocker cover now are missing - anyone know where I would get one on a Sunday morning?

It's a 2005 Petrol Avensis by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Finally, I got rid of ugly car seat covers. :D

Took all the seats off, disassembled them, washed and assembled again. There were loads of small steel rings keeping clothes on their place - I decided to cut them all off and used small tie wraps to put all back on.

Now my seats look like new. :cool:

244398.jpg

In the meantime, decided to change a color of rear shelf - it was grey. Now it's not. ;)

244399.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I bought a S/H Whiteline ARB for the race car, it's a rosejointed job but the bolts on the droplinks from the lad that had it before me were way too narrow and gave lots of play, waste of time putting in on the car like that so I have the ARB in and have to get nuts and bolts for the droplinks tomorrow, as if the car wasn't stiff enough lol

426432_10151367402412825_1491721578_n.jpg
    72434_10151367403247825_1144352375_n.jpg
    554990_10151367403832825_1849716578_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

had to replace the bulbs behind heater controls in an 04 avensis at the weekend. Only needed one spanner and a screwdriver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

joujoujou wrote: »
    244399.jpg

That rear shelf looks the business!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement