Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

zbAfWlS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Doing a booklet here in work for the Nupo Diet and sweet Jesus a diet full of shakes and soups for weeks on end. really is crazy how some these companies operate and how people continue to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Doing a booklet here in work for the Nupo Diet and sweet Jesus a diet full of shakes and soups for weeks on end. really is crazy how some these companies operate and how people continue to use them.

Aye, there's a very sad thread in the nutrition section about it. It sucks to see people being taken in by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

yeah there's a new thread here debating that very point.

You can get caught up in the madness. I remember an old boss talked me into lipotrim; suddenly the concept of losing the desired 10lbs in a fortnight consumed me. I was on the disgusting milkshakes for 2 days when i realised I needed to cop on and do it properly.

I must have a look at that thread later when I'm not on the phone.

It's a 48 page booklet havent read it all yet but my god they tell you if you want to continue the diet for more than 3 weeks consult your doctor hello alarm bells, a diet of 500 to 800 cals a day and to ignore the headaches.

They do say excercise will help but no advice given on what or how or the fact your taking only 500 cals a day and any excercise on that low calories if going to leave you fatigued.

They also say you should change your diet once the programme is finished but continue taking there products a few times a week to keep calories down. I'm actually getting annoyed reading it. Children need to be thaught on nutrition properly at a young age in schools imo to stop these companies and even food companies from tricking people into believing what there doing is healthy. Goverments who are quick enough to jump on tobacco companies have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My friend did that celebrity slim thing for six months a few years back, while I just changed my diet and exercised more.

After the six months, she introduced a meal of boiled cabbage and fish once per day. After a year, she had lost six stone, i had lost three. Cue her gloating about how much better she was doing than me. Three years on, I've lost a lot more weight and am toning up nicely. She's gained back about a stone and has masses of loose skin that she wants surgery ti remove.

Schools really need to teach nutrition. In my kid sister's school, their home ec cooking classes consist of making cakes and eating them, or making spag bol with jar sauce, white pasta, garlic bread and cheap mince. Their vending machines have chocolate muffins, cookies, crisps and chocolate milk.

Thank fcuk my sister prefers veg and meat or she'd be pretty unhealthy by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

In fairness to her, thats serious dedication if she lasted a year at that!

Sangre wrote: »
    In fairness to her, thats serious dedication if she lasted a year at that!

Yeah, I'd say she was starving! I sure as hell couldn't do it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

God just had chorizo and pasta for dinner!:D Yummy, love chorizo so much, why does something that tastes so good have to be so bad!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

It's not bad, unless you have intolerances to ... gluten

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Schools really need to teach nutrition. In my kid sister's school, their home ec cooking classes consist of making cakes and eating them, or making spag bol with jar sauce, white pasta, garlic bread and cheap mince. Their vending machines have chocolate muffins, cookies, crisps and chocolate milk.

Vending machines in a school? How is that even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

When I was in school I lived off the canteen and the vending machine. I had a job so had the money to spend and that was where the money went. A bottle or 2 full fat coke daily, a bag of tangfastics or a bar and from the canteen chips or a chicken roll etc...

And BANG I was 16/17 stone doing my leaving cert. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I lived off nestle dairy crunch.
    food was really bad in my school tho, really dodgy meat, so bad I just switched to vegetarian. for most of my school life as I couldnt stomach the meat. But then I couldnt eat most of the veggie meals as they were just usually tomato and courgette, or a salad.

So most days was nestle crunch for lunch, and gamble on dinner, usually it was nestle crunch tho.

ironically was also in the best shape of my life.

I got a fitbit for my birthday, so addictive! I'm already moving a lot more just to get my steps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I got a fitbit for my birthday, so addictive! I'm already moving a lot more just to get my steps up.

I got one at Xmas, I love it! It's surprisingly difficult to get 10,000 steps every freakin day but it's a good reminder to keep moving.

I got one at Xmas, I love it! It's surprisingly difficult to get 10,000 steps every freakin day but it's a good reminder to keep moving.

Only been using it one day but have been pacing the house to get my stats up!

Vending machines in a school? How is that even legal?

Dunno, they have had them since she joined the school 4 years ago. Mine never had any.

Channel 4 +1 tonight is doing a Dispatches documentary entitled "Are you addicted to sugar?" could make interesting viewing for anyone that is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The texture of cooked oats has become a little hard for me to eat lately, especially as i feel a bit sick, raw oats however are amazing.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    The texture of cooked oats has become a little hard for me to eat lately, especially as i feel a bit sick, raw oats however are amazing.

All oats are pretty much cooked anyway. Dry oats are way nicer though I agree.

• Advertisement

Man on The Today Show cooking some fish:
    ...stay away from the butter, stay away from the saturated fats and use Flora Pro-Activ instead...

Might I add, he cooked the fish on some olive oil...the horror!

*sigh*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

1725012_10152207838507313_39237079_n.jpg

I just blew your mind, didn't I

Hmm coconut bacon tell me more? Were you get it?

what would everyone's opinion be on coconut sugar? Have a recipe that I want to try but it has hapf a cup of sugar in it which I'm not mad on and was thinking maybe coconut sugar.

But from reading up there doesn't seem to be anything concrete on it being a whole lot better than sugar and a lot saying if it is its only marginally better.

This Fat vs Sugar diet programme on BBC Two is looking to be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

This Fat vs Sugar diet programme on BBC Two is looking to be interesting!

watching it now.

Missing it because I bet it falls into the nutritionism trap. There is nothing inherently wrong with either fat or sugar, and making it so means that food manufacturers have another demon to put 'LOW!' in front of on their packaging.

Coconuts are high in fat and healthy.
    Pineapples are high in sugar and healthy.

A low fat low sugar donut is still a donut and is unhealthy.

We need to stop thinking in blanket terms and boiling things down to individual components and start looking at foods as a whole.

The only heuristic I need is

Comes in a package with lots of ingredients = probably unhealthy

One ingredient minimally processed = probably healthy

Then we can all forget about fat and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

That was pretty much the message of the show. There was no significant change to body composition by vastly reducing either. The trouble starts with a cOmbinatiOn of sugar and fat, particularly the ratios that are found in the majority of processed foods.

I did think it was a good show but yea it highlighted pretty much what we already know a good balanced diet is good and avoid processed foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Show was better than I expected, but wasn't expecting much. Some stuff was a bit of a waste of time, like they were going on as though the twins were totally identical but one could have been better at cycling from the get go. Could have been more than a month trial too, or had them training beforehand to be more similar from the get-go.

I would have been interested if they were weight training to see if the fat eating guy would have lost much muscle mass.

Katgurl wrote: »
    The trouble starts with a cOmbinatiOn of sugar and fat, particularly the ratios that are found in the majority of processed foods.
    This was interesting at the end. The rats grazing on the fat/sugar combo all day long and overeating. But rats were not reaally overeating when on a sugar only, or fat only diet.

This got me wondering about eating treats myself. Would I be better having a really high sugar treat one day and really high fat one the next day. This way you might not get cravings for fat, like you might if you went on a low sugar diet for ages. If the theory holds true you might not gorge on the "single ingredient treat" either. So rather than scoffing the full pack you might resist it.

I was glad to hear them going on about the satiety/hunger reducing effects of the foods, and how its not all about calories. People are not locked in cages, or comatose patients who cannot act on hunger, they are freely eating.

The fat only guy was supposed to be on the verge of developing diabetes, I wonder how much veg or sugar he would have had to have eaten to stop this. The diets were at the extreme end which few would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Hmm coconut bacon tell me more? Were you get it?

what would everyone's opinion be on coconut sugar? Have a recipe that I want to try but it has hapf a cup of sugar in it which I'm not mad on and was thinking maybe coconut sugar.

But from reading up there doesn't seem to be anything concrete on it being a whole lot better than sugar and a lot saying if it is its only marginally better.

I use coconut sugar for baking (or in tea), like you said it's not a whole lot better than sugar but I reckon at least coconut sugar has some benefits (various minerals). My 1 year old loves her mummy's cooking (with all natural ingredients) the rest of my family and friends not so much! It has a lovely smokey flavour too and no after taste like stevia and the likes (my opinion)

Advertisement