Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I watched an episode last week where Dr. Eva was eating the head off one woman because she had 'only' lost 3.5lb that week. WTF like :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Dolbert wrote: »
    I watched an episode last week where Dr. Eva was eating the head off one woman because she had 'only' lost 3.5lb that week. WTF like :confused:

Yeah, I caught that bit too, it was ridiculous. Her target was 4lbs so she almost reached it. You'd think the girl had put on weight, from the way Dr Eva was banging on. I suppose they think it makes for good tv.

On a separate note, today's weight comment at work:
    colleague: "hollypink, are you in training for something?".
    me: "no, nothing in particular" (cos I'm exercising regularly but not training for a particular event)
    colleague "it's just that you've lost so much weight"
    me: "well yes, I wanted to lose some weight"
    colleague "you wouldn't want to lose any more or you'll look sick or something"

:confused:

My BMI is 22 so I'm hardly wasting away and I'm pretty sure I don't look gaunt or anything. And this from someone who is a heavy smoker. It's weird, I wouldn't dream of commenting on his smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sweet potatoes taste **** compared to white potatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I much prefer sweet potatoes now. Throw a bit of paprika on them. Nyom nyom nyom.

If I was eating regular potatoes I'd need to latter them in butter to enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

sweet potatos and parsnips with honey and cinnamon is my kryptonite.

• Advertisement

Quest bars truly are awesome. Got peanut supreme and apple pie. Lovely.

don't like natural range though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

hollypink wrote: »
    Yeah, I caught that bit too, it was ridiculous. Her target was 4lbs so she almost reached it. You'd think the girl had put on weight, from the way Dr Eva was banging on. I suppose they think it makes for good tv.

On a separate note, today's weight comment at work:
    colleague: "hollypink, are you in training for something?".
    me: "no, nothing in particular" (cos I'm exercising regularly but not training for a particular event)
    colleague "it's just that you've lost so much weight"
    me: "well yes, I wanted to lose some weight"
    colleague "you wouldn't want to lose any more or you'll look sick or something"

:confused:

My BMI is 22 so I'm hardly wasting away and I'm pretty sure I don't look gaunt or anything. And this from someone who is a heavy smoker. It's weird, I wouldn't dream of commenting on his smoking.

22 is pretty darn perfick (but less than that is of course healthy too). Ignore him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Sweet potatoes taste **** compared to white potatoes

Agreed. Too sweet, and I hate their texture too. A small amount mashed up with parsnip and carrot is lovely but that's about it.
    If I was eating regular potatoes I'd need to latter them in butter to enjoy them.

I'm not seeing the problem. :pac:

I'm not seeing the problem. :pac:

As much as I love butter I tend to eat bucket loads of it on potatoes.

Ratio of 1 part potato to 2.5 parts butter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Quest bars truly are awesome. Got peanut supreme and apple pie. Lovely.

don't like natural range though

I tried the peanut butter and jelly before and really liked them. Where do you get yours?

• Advertisement

robocode wrote: »
    I tried the peanut butter and jelly before and really liked them. Where do you get yours?

Get them from discountsupplements.ie. I buy more then a box at time to get multi buy discount then use FB5 code for 5% off.

Today's food hasn't gone well. I have 1661 calories left to eat. Might have to invoke IIFYM

I think I'll stick with iHerb, they're about €19/box and €4 delivery.

robocode wrote: »
    I think I'll stick with iHerb, they're about €19/box and €4 delivery.

Yeah iherb are cheaper but i like next day delivery and not having to go to an post depot because they threw a card in my letterbox saying I wasn't there. They are fúckers for that ****!

They're fond of that bloody card alright!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

http://junkscience.com/2013/02/05/oops-pufas-may-actually-increase-risk-of-death-in-patients-with-heart-disease/

Ten million internet points to anyone who can find me this paper, have scoured the BMJ website to no avail.

This is the first direct paper to examine that vegetable oil increases the risk of heart-disease. If it's a good paper, this is HUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

http://junkscience.com/2013/02/05/oops-pufas-may-actually-increase-risk-of-death-in-patients-with-heart-disease/

Ten million internet points to anyone who can find me this paper, have scoured the BMJ website to no avail.

This is the first direct paper to examine that vegetable oil increases the risk of heart-disease. If it's a good paper, this is HUGE.

Why don't you try contact the person that wrote that to get the info of where to find the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Is this it? http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707

henbane wrote: »

THAT'S the one!
    Conclusions Advice to substitute polyunsaturated fats for saturated fats is a key component of worldwide dietary guidelines for coronary heart disease risk reduction. However, clinical benefits of the most abundant polyunsaturated fatty acid, omega 6 linoleic acid, have not been established. In this cohort, substituting dietary linoleic acid in place of saturated fats increased the rates of death from all causes, coronary heart disease, and cardiovascular disease. An updated meta-analysis of linoleic acid intervention trials showed no evidence of cardiovascular benefit. These findings could have important implications for worldwide dietary advice to substitute omega 6 linoleic acid, or polyunsaturated fats in general, for saturated fats.

Suck on that Flora!!

Does anyone else get cravings for high calorie foods when sick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Does anyone else get cravings for high calorie foods when sick?

**** yes

well not exactly sick but I had a massive panic attack on sunday and I've been having rolling mini attacks every few hours since then. in the last 3 days I've had a chip box, 2 quarter pounder, multi pack of snickers, pick'n' mix bonbons, custard creams, sensations crisps, etc.
    I gave a small nod to healthy food yesterday by frying up a steak for dinner but other than that I've dedicated every bit of food to making me feel better now, not eating well for the future.

• Advertisement

**** yes

well not exactly sick but I had a massive panic attack on sunday and I've been having rolling mini attacks every few hours since then. in the last 3 days I've had a chip box, 2 quarter pounder, multi pack of snickers, pick'n' mix bonbons, custard creams, sensations crisps, etc.
    I gave a small nod to healthy food yesterday by frying up a steak for dinner but other than that I've dedicated every bit of food to making me feel better now, not eating well for the future.

Blood sugar issues are really tied to panic attacks. Not saying that's what caused it in you, there are many causes, but just that you instantly self-medicate with high calorie, high carb food might be something to explore.

BTW, the glycerine trick seemed to work for me when I used to get horrendous hypoglycaemic panic attacks when doing daily fasts.

well I started getting mine after a year of ... well not eating basically. I lived on 3-4 chicken dippers a day, plus some crackers and 2-3 ltrs of coffee. so it's all in my head now that panic attacks are related to food, when I get them.. I eat to make them go away. I could do healthy eating but I generally feel like death so just want to binge and treat myself.

I've pretty much cut sugar out of my diet for months now and this is the first attack I've had in a long time so I don't think it's anything neccesarily "health" related, I just bring them on myself without realising.

well I started getting mine after a year of ... well not eating basically. I lived on 3-4 chicken dippers a day, plus some crackers and 2-3 ltrs of coffee. so it's all in my head now that panic attacks are related to food, when I get them.. I eat to make them go away. I could do healthy eating but I generally feel like death so just want to binge and treat myself.

I've pretty much cut sugar out of my diet for months now and this is the first attack I've had in a long time so I don't think it's anything neccesarily "health" related, I just bring them on myself without realising.

I was eating super healthy at the time I got them too, that's why it took so long to figure out it was related to a hypo, I had no other hypo symptoms (classic shaking, dizziness). No harm trying the glycerine to see, it's harmless and cheap.

I was eating super healthy at the time I got them too, that's why it took so long to figure out it was related to a hypo, I had no other hypo symptoms (classic shaking, dizziness). No harm trying the glycerine to see, it's harmless and cheap.

I use it all the time in my e-cig.. although probably not safe to drink the stuff I have with nicotine in it :)

I'll keep a bottle of it around anyway. i'm going to be seeing a doctor at some point in the next fortnight so I'll be sure and mention it to her, see if there's any sort of test to be done.

When I'm sick all I want is a really hot curry and after I eat it I always feel worse.

When I'm sick all I want is a really hot curry and after I eat it I always feel worse.

damn you stench blossoms. i was just about to make myself a nice stir fry... now i'm craving curry.

Just throw a bit of curry powder into the stir fry!

dont have any, and I dont like to keep it around :) having a hot curry generally screws with my rosacea so I prefer to avoid the temptation. Tonight though.. it's gonna be glorious. expensive, calorie heavy.. but glorious.

Did ya attempt to make the coconut wraps since?

I've been making a protein pancake with coconut flour as a base for a meringue. Love it.

• Advertisement

no, i tried the two times and have given up now for a while. i was on a bit of a wrap buzz for a few weeks but I've weaned myself off them now and am just having stir fries.

i'll come back to it in a while, I don't think the flour will be going out of date any time soon so I'm in no rush. if I try and fail again I'll just use the coconut flour in something else, it'll give me an excuse to learn to cook.

Advertisement